Anyone use C#??
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
epod69
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:39 pm    Post subject: Anyone use C#?? Reply with quote

Hi, I am kinda new to Linux and have been use to programming through Visual Basic. I heard that the new language microsoft has came out with, c#, is pretty close to vb and I am wondering if anyone has programed with C# before and what their input about it is. I know that you can program c# for linux through Mono but I dont know how well this works if it is in fact microsofts language, how well does Mono do in porting c# language to Linux?

Thanx everyone for you input!
luisfelipe
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mono's implementation of C# is quite good. You're going to have problems if you use some of the more windows-oriented stuff, like windows.forms . But if you use GTK# for the GUI programming, everything should work smoothly.
If you're into VB-style programming, you might want to check Gambas.
bladdo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its actually very nice and works just as well or better. Compared to VB the shell only style will piss you off but theres always gtk and auto generation programs for gui.
distro: gentoo | window manager: pekwm
luisfelipe
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to mention it, but if you're interested in playing around with C# and GTK#, you should probably take a look at Glade. It's what you're gonna be using to develop the visual part of the program, most likely.

And just another tip, if you haven't decided on a language yet, take a look at Ruby.
Psykk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before anybody goes off, C# is also ECMA standardized -- it's owned by MS to about the same extent that Java is owned by Sun. Anyway, Mono is very good, and coming from a VB background C# is a good move.
allex87
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone use C#?? Reply with quote

epod69 wrote:
Hi, I am kinda new to Linux and have been use to programming through Visual Basic. I heard that the new language microsoft has came out with, c#, is pretty close to vb and I am wondering if anyone has programed with C# before and what their input about it is. I know that you can program c# for linux through Mono but I dont know how well this works if it is in fact microsofts language, how well does Mono do in porting c# language to Linux?

Thanx everyone for you input!

Well, to get you started using Mono, if you know vb.net, use that for now. Get used to the GUI GTK# classes/etc. whatever you need. Mono has the mbas compiler for vb.net. It works quite well :)

Then, learn C# for it has more features than VB.Net, although one can easily convert _most_ applications from one language to the other.

Now, C# is a great language IMO (and I know several, including the veterans C/C++, etc. I have to say that C# has much simplicity, yet it is powerful. It is my language of choice for cross platform application development (provided you use GTK#, not Windows.Forms (although the mono implementation of SWF from svn is pretty good and getting better!)

Well, I hope this helps. Cheers!
epod69
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, sorry I havent replied back, I have been very busy and have been installing Gentoo for the first time. (if that helps explain, hehe) Anyways, what does ECMA standardized mean? I am wanting to program some business apps with C#, which I have been doing with vb, and I am wondering if it possible to program games with C# as well, such as with like OpenGL, I dont know what other graphics types I can program with though, I would want to start off with 2D graphics so I dont think OpenGL would be the best choice though. And btw, I am from a vb classic background, not a vb.net, so it might be a bit longer to learn c#. Thanx all for the replys!
luisfelipe
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can develop all that stuff with C# , but you gotta be careful with some of the library's you use, if
you want it to be cross-platform.
Try searching for C# and Mono bindings for SDL (www.libsdl.org I think), that is kind of DirectX,
but cross-platform.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: