Searching the Portage tree by description
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 5:09 am    Post subject: Searching the Portage tree by description Reply with quote

This thread gave me an idea for searching the Portage tree for a description matching a certain keyword or regular expression. Thus, the Über-description-search-command-thingy was born (mainly because I had too much time on my hands). It goes through your Portage tree, finds the newest version of all your ebuild files, extracts the DESCRIPTION field, and places it inside a file entitled "ebuild-descriptions".

Code:
for dir in `find /usr/portage -type d ! -name files -mindepth 2`; do ls $dir/*.ebuild 2>/dev/null | head -n 1; done > /tmp/ebuilds; for eb in `cat /tmp/ebuilds`; do DESC=`grep DESCRIPTION\= $eb | awk -F"=" '$3 == "" { print $2 }'`; echo `basename $eb`: $DESC; done | sort > ebuild-descriptions; rm /tmp/ebuilds

Note that this command takes up a lot of space on the screen. The complexity apparent in the command visually is also apparent in the execution time. :D Be warned, this command takes an unusually long time to run, simply because it's doing all kinds of stuff and I haven't bothered to optimize it.

Anyway, the descriptions are in a file -- now what? You can search it for specific keywords, and since it's just in a single normal "flat" file, searching is really fast. Say you wanted to search for burning software, you might run a case-insensitive search for "burn".

Code:
$ grep -i burn ebuild-descriptions
arson-0.9.5-r1.ebuild: "A KDE frontend to CD burning and CD ripping tools."
cdrdao-1.1.5-r1.ebuild: "Burn CDs in disk-at-once mode -- with optional GUI frontend"

Great! Let's count how many apps relate to KDE, and just for good measure, let's compare that with GNOME.

Code:
echo KDE: `grep -ic kde ebuild-descriptions`; echo GNOME: `grep -ic gnome ebuild-descriptions`
KDE: 156
GNOME: 113

And there you have it. It's been proven; KDE beats GNOME. Err... I mean, this method is an effective way to search your ebuilds for keywords quickly and easily. :D
jahgu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, that's really cool.
TheHaas
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 3:10 pm    Post subject: (more robust?) Python version Reply with quote

delta407,

That's a pretty nice trick. This gave me the idea to make a python version that is perhaps more accurate. Maybe

It's long, so I won't post it here, but I will post a link:

http://users.binary.net/thehaas/searchport.py.gz

un-gzip it, and here is the syntax:
Code:

searchport.py --build -- build the "database" (default file to "portdesc.db")
searchport.py -h or --help -- get command line help
searchport.py <anything else> -- search the db for that string (non-case sensitive)

you can also do similar trick that delta407 did:
Code:

171 gideon:~/prog/searchport > echo KDE: `grep -ic kde portdesc.db`; echo GNOME: `grep -ci gnome portdesc.db`
KDE: 229
GNOME: 310

Hmm, for me GNOME is better. :D

Actually, I discovered something with this script . . .there are a lot of corrurpt ebuilds for the KDE (My script breaks open the ebuild files). If they are corruprt, my script throws out a message and moves to the next.
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your KDE vs. Gnome are off. You're counting multiple versions of each Gnome application, which have more releases because there's more bugfixes because there's more bugs. ;) And as far as KDE "corrupt" ebuilds; they're not corrupt, they're simply lacking a description. They are independent ebuilds, though, and deserve to be includeed in the count. :D

And as far as accurate; I just rebuilt ebuild-descriptions to re-run my above listed test.

Code:
$ ./searchport.py burn
$ grep -i burn /usr/ebuild-descriptions
cdrdao-1.1.5-r1.ebuild: "Burn CDs in disk-at-once mode -- with optional GUI frontend"
merlin-cpufire-0.1.0.ebuild: "Gnome applet that displays CPU usage as burning fire"

searchport produced no output, ebuild-descriptions produced three. Additionally, grep was faster. :D

BTW, grep -i burn portdesc.db produced:
Code:
merlin-cpufire-0.1.0.ebuild|"Gnome applet that displays CPU usage as burning fire"
arson-0.9.5-r1.ebuild|"A KDE frontend to CD burning and CD ripping tools."
cdrdao-1.1.5-r1.ebuild|"Burn CDs in disk-at-once mode -- with optional GUI frontend"

One more thing -- my search database is sorted. :D
alec
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For further simplification, copy this somewhere and make it executable:

Code:
grep -i ${1} /path/to/ebuild-descriptions

I put it in my /usr/bin and called it esearch. Now I just run 'esearch foo' and get my results :)

For even tastier results, edit delta's script to make the ebuild-descriptions in one place (i.e., add /path/to/) and run it as a cron job.
lain iwakura
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very cool. they should add this type of feature to portage.
:stating the obvious: 8O
phienix
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 4:51 pm    Post subject: mh how can i use this now ;) Reply with quote

mh how can i use this now ;)
arkane
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 3:56 am    Post subject: Re: Searching the Portage tree by description Reply with quote

WOW... very nice.
I have to look in the "tips n tricks" forum more often...
I just copied that, changed ebuild-descriptions to /var/db/ebuild-descrions, and put it into a file called /usr/sbin/delta.
That name seemed almost appropriate for what it does :D
made a script in /usr/sbin called delta-find that does the grep'ing.

delta407 wrote:
This thread gave me an idea for searching the Portage tree for a description matching a certain keyword or regular expression. Thus, the Über-description-search-command-thingy was born (mainly because I had too much time on my hands). It goes through your Portage tree, finds the newest version of all your ebuild files, extracts the DESCRIPTION field, and places it inside a file entitled "ebuild-descriptions".

Code:
for dir in `find /usr/portage -type d ! -name files -mindepth 2`; do ls $dir/*.ebuild 2>/dev/null | head -n 1; done > /tmp/ebuilds; for eb in `cat /tmp/ebuilds`; do DESC=`grep DESCRIPTION\= $eb | awk -F"=" '$3 == "" { print $2 }'`; echo `basename $eb`: $DESC; done | sort > ebuild-descriptions; rm /tmp/ebuilds

Note that this command takes up a lot of space on the screen. The complexity apparent in the command visually is also apparent in the execution time. :D Be warned, this command takes an unusually long time to run, simply because it's doing all kinds of stuff and I haven't bothered to optimize it.

Anyway, the descriptions are in a file -- now what? You can search it for specific keywords, and since it's just in a single normal "flat" file, searching is really fast. Say you wanted to search for burning software, you might run a case-insensitive search for "burn".

Code:
$ grep -i burn ebuild-descriptions

Great! Let's count how many apps relate to KDE, and just for good measure, let's compare that with GNOME.

Code:
echo KDE: `grep -ic kde ebuild-descriptions`; echo GNOME: `grep -ic gnome ebuild-descriptions`
KDE: 156
GNOME: 113

And there you have it. It's been proven; KDE beats GNOME. Err... I mean, this method is an effective way to search your ebuilds for keywords quickly and easily. :D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: