Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
2.6.17-r9 < 3.5MB wont boot, just hangs....
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KWhat
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: 2.6.17-r9 < 3.5MB wont boot, just hangs.... Reply with quote

I have installed gentoo on this sunblade I have sitting here. Now the boot loader appers to work, but when it tries to boot the kernel it just says booting linux.... and sits there forever. I have just about everything compiled as a module but i dont think thats the issue. The same thing is currently happening with the ubuntu installation i tired as well (Except their live cd does not get past this issue). I am not sure what model blade this is but i think it is an UltraSPARC III+. Any help ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks
foxbat
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

probably obvious, but are you using the right arch for sparc processors?
Weeve
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have the atyfb framebuffer support enabled? This may be the culprit as I believe it was broken in 2.6.17. I know it worked OK in 2.6.16 but not sure if it works in any of the newer kernel revisions.
KWhat
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Do you have the atyfb framebuffer support enabled? This may be the culprit as I believe it was broken in 2.6.17. I know it worked OK in 2.6.16 but not sure if it works in any of the newer kernel revisions.

I think i have disabled it, where is it in the kernel? I think there maybe a possible hardware issue with this machine. I downloaded solaris 10 today and burned it to dvd and it boots however it hangs shortly after (Just like ubuntu and redhat). If Sun's OS doesnt even work something is very wrong here. Just to not I get no error message anywhere. I think redhat crashed with an Exception but it was about 2 words and not very helpful (Like Illegal Exception). Anyone know a way that i can test the hardware? Memory, CPU's, Hard Drive Etc? Or is there a log somewhere in that OpenWhatever Bios this thing uses? (I know almost nothing about sparc arch).

Thanks
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: