Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Booting Gentoo as a choice (among others)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GTrax
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:18 pm    Post subject: Booting Gentoo as a choice (among others) Reply with quote

I have a mostly installed Gentoo which still has some problems with permissions involving the logger. The whole install was done following the manual instructions, except that it was done from within a chrooted environment in a Konsole terminal from an existing distro (Mepis 6.0)

I do believe most of the installation is OK because of the amount of successful downloading and compiling that has been happening from within the chrooted environment. The kernel in /boot gets found OK, and it starts doing all the usual runlevel setup things, and then hangs with messages like ...
Code:
/sbin/functions.sh line 191 /usr/bin/logger      Permission denied.
/etc/ini.d/checkfs    line 43   /sbin/sulogin    Permission denied
Failed to start /etc/etc/init.d/checkfs
/etc/init.d/localmount line26    /bin/grep      Permission denied.

While I certainly could use a little help in getting this configure right, the main point here is that once one has let grub install the bootloader on an installation that still has boot problems, life is then ruled by the Installation CD. Choosing not to do this, I re-installed the bootloader to the existing working distro. I then edited its /boot/grub/menu.lst to include the Gentoo kernel as one of the choices.
This seems to start it off OK, (and it still hangs!), but at least I have my working distro.

My questions are, are permission problems like these caused by booting in this way?
Are permission problems like these likely because of working from within a chrooted terminal hosted by another distro (Mepis 6.0)
When working to make a successful Gentoo installation, does it matter if the chrooted environment is left (exit), partitions (umount) and then re-visited later with another chroot session to carry on where one left off?
bLUEbYTE84
Guru
Guru

Location: universe.tar.gz, src/earth.h, struct homo_sapiens_table

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's see what the actual permissions are, so mount the gentoo root partition on your mepis install and do :
ls -l /mnt/gentoo/bin

/mnt/gentoo is of course whereever you mounted the root gentoo partition.

UPDATE: I bet you forgot the -p bit when doing the stage tarball extraction, e.g tar jxvf stage-xx.tar.bz2
kraix
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the p is really important. If you don't have that part the system generally won't work how its supposed to work.
bLUEbYTE84
Guru
Guru

Location: universe.tar.gz, src/earth.h, struct homo_sapiens_table

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For your other questions;
Quote:

Are permission problems like these likely because of working from within a chrooted terminal hosted by another distro (Mepis 6.0)
When working to make a successful Gentoo installation, does it matter if the chrooted environment is left (exit), partitions (umount) and then re-visited later with another chroot session to carry on where one left off?

No and no, doesn't matter. Don't forget the proc and dev mounting stuff before 'resuming' chroots also, and env-update && source /etc/profile
GTrax
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the hint.UPDATE:
Quote:
I bet you forgot the -p bit when doing the stage tarball extraction, e.g tar jxvf stage-xx.tar.bz2
Even though untarred them from a place on a hard drive storage (rather than a LiveCD) I think i got it right. I started with making a 100M ext2 /boot partition, and two 5Gb ext3 partitions, one for / and one for /home. These were on a SATA drive, so appear as sda4, sda10, sda11.

The latest Gentoo installation files were downloaded and temporarily stashed on a EIDE drive /mnt/hda5.
Not even thinking about permissions at that stage, I did:-
Code:
root@1[~]# mount /dev/sda10 /mnt/gentoo
root@1[~]# mount /dev/sda4 /mnt/gentoo/boot
root@1[~]# mount /dev/sda11 /mnt/gentoo/home
cd /mnt/gentoo
root@1[gentoo]#
#  Then I fetched the files in from their hda5 download place, with the command pasted from the manual and edited.
root@1[gentoo]# tar xvjpf /mnt/hda5/stages/stage3-i686-2006.1.tar.bz2
root@1[gentoo]# tar xvjf /mnt/hda5/portage-2006.1.tar.bz2 -C /mnt/gentoo/usr
root@1[gentoo]#
At this point, I was following the install manual. It is not clear to me what fumble messed the permissions. I do notice that the "p" is left out of the options in the command to extract Portage.
I have tried ls -l mnt /gentoo/bin. It makes a very interesting page of varied permissions, but I don't know here which are "good" or "bad". I would not bore you with all 146 of them, but here are some examples. Maybe there is a page I can post them at.
Code:
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  648400 2006-08-03 16:28 bash
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1569996 2006-08-03 16:38 bb
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root       5 2007-01-10 00:31 bunzip2 -> bzip2
-rws--x--x 1 root root   92224 2006-08-03 16:38 mount
--rws--x--x 1 root root   28892 2006-08-03 16:38 umount
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root      20 2007-01-10 00:33 pgawk -> /usr/bin/pgawk-3.1.5
-rws--x--x 1 root root   26820 2006-08-03 16:38 su
rws--x--x 1 root root   28480 2006-08-03 16:38 passwd
I chose these because they stand out. bb and mount may not have what they need, and certainly /sbin/sulogin failed in etc/ini.d/checkfs line 43. If this is reasonably easy to fix, then I would do it. Otherwise, its to start over. I just don't understand how easy it was to to get this messed up while being careful to follow the manual, and noting that the various emerges and compiles seemed to be going well. Even after I get the Gentoo up, I would still prefer to boot it from my list of choices in the present bootloader.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: