Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
virtual/x11 dependency of vanilla-sources?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MadEgg
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 10:53 pm    Post subject: virtual/x11 dependency of vanilla-sources? Reply with quote

I'm installing Gentoo Linux using the 1.4_RC1 cd onto my server(pentium 166-mmx), without any graphical stuff because the disk isn't big enough for that and I don't need it for serving :p
The disk is about 1.2 GB and I'd like to save as much from that as possible. I'm gonna add a data-disk for the fileserving function later of 20 GB but I don't want any linux-related stuff on it as that disk is fat32.

So my use flag containts -X -QT -GTK etc etc etc, you know what I mean.
Also, because /usr/portage/x11-* took about 30 MB I deleted those directories as well.

Now I wanted to compile my kernel and did
Code:
emerge vanilla-sources

That resulted in the messages that there were no masked or unmasked packages to satisfy virtual/x11(dependency of vanilla-sources).

Why on earth is vanilla-sources dependant on x11? Why can't I delete /usr/portage/x11-* when I'm not planning on emerging anything X-related?
AOpen Aeolus GeForce 6800 Ultra 256 MB DDR2
Creative Audigy2 ZS
gentoo-sources-2.6.20-r7
nVidia-drivers version 9755
ctford0
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the problem is that the kernel is not expecting to be working with an altered portage tree. Once you have everything installed you can delete the entire portage tree if you like, but you may want to wait until then to do it....

Or maybe you can just try leaving the x11-base section, its only 1.4 MB. This is probably what the kernel is looking for, but i would still suggest leaving the portage tree intact at least until you finish the install.

Chris
MadEgg
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried putting back x11-base, but the kernel depended on something in x11-misc too...

Anyway, I found a workaround. I just deleted the entire portage tree, and used NFS to mount the portage tree from another computer in it's place. Saved me about 200 MB, and now I only have to update one portage tree :)
The other machine will be on when I'm working on the server most probably, so this seems like a good solution to me.

Still, I find it strange that it is a dependency somehow.

Anyway, thanks for the information.
AOpen Aeolus GeForce 6800 Ultra 256 MB DDR2
Creative Audigy2 ZS
gentoo-sources-2.6.20-r7
nVidia-drivers version 9755
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: