Installing MySQLcc without MySQL?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
-leliel-
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 12:52 pm    Post subject: Installing MySQLcc without MySQL? Reply with quote

Hi,

emerge -p mysqlcc tells me, I have to install mysql, too. Is there a way to tell emerge I don't want to install the mysql database on my computer, just the control center?

thanks

dunkelelf@jabber.org
erebus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could just try forcing the emerge to just emerge mysqlcc and none of the dependances that go with it using this command

Code:
emerge --nodeps mysqlcc

Try

Code:
emerge --help

for more information on the options you can use.

But make sure all the other dependances are satisfied thou (such as qt etc..).. But this is no guarentte that it will... mysqlcc might need for mysql to be install... so give it a try but if that doesn't work you might end up having to install mysql as well..
Vxster
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you made sure you don't have the USE flag set? I think by default it adds mysql support.
slartibartfasz
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the above solutions dont work u can also tweak the ebuild - look for the 'depend' and 'rdepend' lines but be sure to read the install docs careful...

afterwards u might want to remove the package from /var/cache/edb/world so that it doesnt get updated...
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Installing Gentoo.
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you will need mysql because of the client libraries that mysqlcc uses. The dependency is not for the server but for libraries and header files. Thats one bad thing with Gentoo, there is no server/client separation. Maybe a new USE flag could be added for this, say server binaries/data are only installed if USE="server" is set.
Ok, it's already on bugzilla, so for all who want this, go to the Ebuild review thread and check ebuilds for possible server USE flag support.
aethyr
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.
<zombie>
join us...
join us...
</zombie>

Heh, in all sincerity, these are the types of issues we're trying to discover with The Gentoo ebuild USE flag review effort.

This sounds like an issue that might affect many packages, so feel free to start a thread about it in the forum.

If you'd care to make mysqlcc your first ebuild review, even better :)
slartibartfasz
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Genone wrote:
I think you will need mysql because of the client libraries that mysqlcc uses. The dependency is not for the server but for libraries and header files. Thats one bad thing with Gentoo, there is no server/client separation.

thats only partly true - if in an ebuild only the line DEPEND=pkg occurs and it is not listed in the useflags it will be downloaded for headers and compile purposes only. if there is a line RDEPEND=pkg; pkg is needed for Runnning the pkg u are trying to install and it will be fully merged
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slartibartfasz wrote:
Genone wrote:
I think you will need mysql because of the client libraries that mysqlcc uses. The dependency is not for the server but for libraries and header files. Thats one bad thing with Gentoo, there is no server/client separation.

thats only partly true - if in an ebuild only the line DEPEND=pkg occurs and it is not listed in the useflags it will be downloaded for headers and compile purposes only. if there is a line RDEPEND=pkg; pkg is needed for Runnning the pkg u are trying to install and it will be fully merged

Yes, and libraries are runtime dependencies, unless you link static. And if RDEPEND is empty it is set to DEPEND (so says man 5 ebuild). Not sure if this also applies if RDEPEND="". But nowhere is stated that DEPEND dependencies are not merged.
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aethyr wrote:
If you'd care to make mysqlcc your first ebuild review, even better :)

No, but mysql. My computer is just so damn slow, so testing if the modifications are OK takes some time :( .
slartibartfasz
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Genone wrote:
Yes, and libraries are runtime dependencies, unless you link static. And if RDEPEND is empty it is set to DEPEND (so says man 5 ebuild). Not sure if this also applies if RDEPEND="". But nowhere is stated that DEPEND dependencies are not merged.

i'm not completely sure either if this is so for all cases, but only a few days ago i tweaked the subversion ebuild to use the newest version of berk-db - everything merged and works - though i still have the older berk-db version merged on my system - the newer was only used for linking... as i'm not a programmer i cant explain u how this works - all that i can do is to report what i see ;)
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So only carpaski knows ... :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: