"Digest verification failed" wih mozilla-firefox-2.0.0.1-r2
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wuschel
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject: "Digest verification failed" wih mozilla-firefox-2 Reply with quote

Hello,

when updating world portage will patch firefox to a newer version:
Code:
>>> Emerging (1 of 1) www-client/mozilla-firefox-2.0.0.1-r2 to /
 * firefox-2.0.0.1-source.tar.bz2 MD5 ;-) ...                                        [ ok ]
 * firefox-2.0.0.1-source.tar.bz2 RMD160 ;-) ...                                     [ ok ]
 * firefox-2.0.0.1-source.tar.bz2 SHA1 ;-) ...                                       [ ok ]
 * firefox-2.0.0.1-source.tar.bz2 SHA256 ;-) ...                                     [ ok ]
 * firefox-2.0.0.1-source.tar.bz2 size ;-) ...                                       [ ok ]
!!! Previously fetched file: 'mozilla-firefox-2.0-patches-1.2.tar.bz2'
!!! Reason: Filesize does not match recorded size
!!! Got:      43869
!!! Expected: 43536
Refetching...

>>> Downloading 'ftp://sunsite.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/pub/Linux/gentoo/distfiles/mozilla-firefox-2.0-patches-1.2.tar.bz2'
--14:20:28--  ftp://sunsite.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/pub/Linux/gentoo/distfiles/mozilla-firefox-2.0-patches-1.2.tar.bz2
           => `/usr/portage/distfiles/mozilla-firefox-2.0-patches-1.2.tar.bz2'
Auflösen des Hostnamen »sunsite.informatik.rwth-aachen.de«.... 137.226.34.227
Verbindungsaufbau zu sunsite.informatik.rwth-aachen.de|137.226.34.227|:21... verbunden.
Anmelden als anonymous ... Angemeldet!
==> SYST ... fertig.    ==> PWD ... fertig.
==> TYPE I ... fertig.  ==> CWD /pub/Linux/gentoo/distfiles ... fertig.
==> PASV ... fertig.    ==> RETR mozilla-firefox-2.0-patches-1.2.tar.bz2 ... fertig.
Länge: 43.869 (43K) (unmaßgeblich)

100%[===============================================>] 43.869       149.10K/s

14:20:29 (148.96 KB/s) - »/usr/portage/distfiles/mozilla-firefox-2.0-patches-1.2.tar.bz2« gespeichert [43869]

* mozilla-firefox-2.0.0.1-de.xpi MD5 ;-) ...                                        [ ok ]
 * mozilla-firefox-2.0.0.1-de.xpi RMD160 ;-) ...                                     [ ok ]
 * mozilla-firefox-2.0.0.1-de.xpi SHA1 ;-) ...                                       [ ok ]
 * mozilla-firefox-2.0.0.1-de.xpi SHA256 ;-) ...                                     [ ok ]
 * mozilla-firefox-2.0.0.1-de.xpi size ;-) ...                                       [ ok ]
 * checking ebuild checksums ;-) ...                                                 [ ok ]
 * checking auxfile checksums ;-) ...                                                [ ok ]
 * checking miscfile checksums ;-) ...                                               [ ok ]
 * checking firefox-2.0.0.1-source.tar.bz2 ;-) ...                                   [ ok ]
 * checking mozilla-firefox-2.0-patches-1.2.tar.bz2 ;-) ...                          [ !! ]

!!! Digest verification failed:
!!! /usr/portage/distfiles/mozilla-firefox-2.0-patches-1.2.tar.bz2
!!! Reason: Filesize does not match recorded size
!!! Got: 43869
!!! Expected: 43536
It seems, that "mozilla-firefox-2.0-patches-1.2.tar.bz2" has a wrong length.
I've tested two german mirrors - same error.

Any ideas what to do now?

thx
wuschel

Last edited by wuschel on Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
didymos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, this happens now and then. Try this, after the file has been fetched:
Code:

ebuild /usr/portage/www-client/mozilla-firefox/mozilla-firefox-2.0.0.1-r2.ebuild digest && emerge mozilla-firefox

Looks like something got added to the tarball, probably a patch, and the digests didn't get updated. It might be a change since you last synced too.
Quinny
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why then even do the digest check? Only for failed downloads? What about security? Mindlessly generating a new digest isn't very smart... But then again, if you were so paranoid why trust the developer that created the digest in the first place...

So, I just killed my own argument...

This has been in portage since at least yesterday, by the way. I get the same error. Just synced again to see if it was fixed, it wasn't...
didymos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quinny wrote:
Why then even do the digest check? Only for failed downloads? What about security? Mindlessly generating a new digest isn't very smart... But then again, if you were so paranoid why trust the developer that created the digest in the first place...

So, I just killed my own argument...

LOL. Well, you're still not wrong. You can actually have portage auto-generate digests for everything, but for the most part, you probably don't want to do that. As I see it, it's not so much about security as it is consistency checking and making sure everything needed is there. My rough rule of thumb is that if a file is showing up as smaller than it's supposed to be, then assume it got truncated. If it's larger, the problem is the digest. I usually check bugzilla when these things pop up, which is the result of another rule of thumb: if it's made it to bugzilla, then it's a common problem, which means people like me have probably already used the ebuild workaround; usually, this is so, and a comment on the bug will say it works fine if you generate a digest. Another guideline is trying multiple mirrors. If the "incorrect" file size is consistent across mirrors, then that tips the scales in favor of that actually being the correct file size. You can always use tar and gunzip/bunzip2 to test the archive, but usually, after building the digest and re-emerging, if there's a problem with the file, you'll get an error about it. Not that I sit there and consciously reason this out every time I run into a problem like this; for the most part, I just make a digest, and see what happens, because most of the time, it works. Hmm, I think I'll collect some data on this. I'll record the mismatches I run across and save the digests I generated, then check digests from later syncs to see if the filesizes agree.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: