Starting my TV out at boot
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xgecko
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 7:26 pm    Post subject: Starting my TV out at boot Reply with quote

I have an old Inspiron 8000 with a bad LCD that I've set up as a Gentoo media system. The 8000 has an nVidia geForce2go with TV out. I've got the TV out to work with nvtv, the only problem is curently I have to manually turn the TV on by SSHing to the system and running 'sudo nvtv -S NTSC -r 640,480 -s LARGE -t' which is set up as alias 'tvon'. My question is what would be the best way to get the TV out to start at boot, and how would I go about it? I would like it to start as soon as possible, maybe right after the video driver loads so I could still see some of the boot messages. Any ideas or input would be great.
Ian Goldby
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gentoo init scripts are probably the best way to do this. Look at the files in /etc/init.d, and pick a nice simple-looking one. Make a copy and call it something like tvout. Then edit it so that instead of its former function, it does nvtv -S NTSC -r 640,480 -s LARGE -t. (This goes in the start() section.) If you want to be able to disable tv output, put something appropriate in the stop() section too. Put in the depend() section the names of any init scripts that must run before starting tv out.

Then just add it to the boot run level in the normal way. You can check it is working with /etc/init.d/tvout start. Let us know if this works, and how you get on.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: