Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[Cobalt Raq 4] No boot, just black squares !
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
baccara
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:43 am    Post subject: [Cobalt Raq 4] No boot, just black squares ! Reply with quote

Hi all,
I would like to install a Gentoo on my Raq4, but I just have a problem with it. Actually when I try to start it, there is no boot, there is nothing on the LCD panel (it displays black squares only).
It seems it has broken down, I think I should reinitialize the Rom to have a new boot menu. I have tried to reset the Rom by pressing "E" button (push before and during the start ).
I have also tried with the "S" botton, with both but nothing happens.

Would anybody help me for the problem !

Regards,
duijver
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello baccara,

I haven't checked the forums in awhile about RaQ4 issues but the first suggestion that I would give you is to try connecting to the system via the serial console. I have tried, un-successfully, to install the LCD tools so my LCD is basically in a useless state as well. However, the box itself works fine and I can admin it from ssh or webadmin. Don't forget to set the default baud to 115000 something.

Just so you know.. it took quite a bit of work to get gentoo on the RaQ4 - I almost gave up a few times. I figured heck, I started using slackware back in 95' and I use RHEL and Fedora in an enterprise environment it should be fine! But, getting the right bootstrap, plus staging the OS build on a different machine and forcing it to i586 was challenging. There are a few resources out there and if you still need help I can try to dig them up again.

You may want to get distcc working after as well... that's something I am currently working on since the box has been up for about a year now. compiling on an amd k6-2 400 is just wrong....

Good luck!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: