What's "Letting udev process events"?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maverick6664
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:31 am    Post subject: What's "Letting udev process events"? Reply with quote

Recently I fresh-installed Gentoo 2006.1 (since then used 2006.0 or older), since then, I get "Letting udev process events" message upon booting, and it halts there some time and fails there. Somehow I have no other problem.

So I wonder what's "Letting udev process events" and how can I pass it successfully?

Thanks in advance.
wynn
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: What's "Letting udev process events"? Reply with quote

maverick6664 wrote:
Recently I fresh-installed Gentoo 2006.1 (since then used 2006.0 or older), since then, I get "Letting udev process events" message upon booting, and it halts there some time and fails there. Somehow I have no other problem.

So I wonder what's "Letting udev process events" and how can I pass it successfully?
udevd is started and gets events from the kernel: these events are sent by the kernel when it finds a peripheral like a hard disk or something plugged into a USB port. udev then goes through its rules looking for the action to take — create /dev/hda1, for instance.

If it fails there then it should have written an error message into /var/log/messages which you can post.

If your /dev directory is empty or missing /dev/console, however, it may not be able to even do that.

The minimum you need in your /dev directory as created on installation from the install CD is
Code:
crw------- 1 root tty  5, 1 Oct 22  2000 console
crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 1, 3 Oct 22  2000 null
crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 1, 9 Oct 22  2000 urandom
crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 1, 5 Oct 22  2000 zero

The avatar is jorma, a "duck" from "Elephants Dream": the film and all the production materials have been made available under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License, see orange.blender.org for details.
maverick6664
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your explanation. I have 4 devices you mentioned, so it's not a factor. But I have more serious problem. I don't have /var/log/messages. What am I missing? I've never experienced this before. (btw I have installed syslog-ng)

EDIT: oops. I forgot to start syslog-ng. I fresh-installed current gentoo yesterday.
wynn
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be that syslog-ng, which is in in the default runlevel, hasn't yet been started. /var/log/dmesg may be there but it will only show the messages up to where init starts — and it is after this that udevd starts.

If your /dev directory, as installed, is OK — if you used the minimal install CD then it should have come from the stage3 you downloaded — then all I can think of is running /sbin/udevstart after booting up from the install CD and chroot'ng.

You have networking enabled, don't you? It's needed for the kernel and udevd to communicate using the netlink protocol.
The avatar is jorma, a "duck" from "Elephants Dream": the film and all the production materials have been made available under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License, see orange.blender.org for details.
maverick6664
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I started syslog-ng in the boot level(should it be in the default level?), delete /var/log/messages, reboot, and am looking at /var/log/messages. But it's too long and I don't know where to look at. There are a lot of "class_uevent -".... and "class_device_create_uevent called for ....". Do they matter?

I don't know where to copy&paste here, so I uploaded on a http server messages so anyone can see everything. If possible will anyone point where it is wrong?

EDIT: Since I have nothing wrong with it, I should not mind it....in a way.
wynn
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I can see it's OK — you've even got a user, 'tetsuji', logging in and performing a successful "su".

There's no udev error that I can see.

There are two failed authentication messages from webmin which appears to start on the third try.

The only error message comes from gnome-power-manager which won't start unless dbus is started and it then advises that, after starting it, the machine is rebooted.
maverick6664
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for analysis.

Yes, webmin authentication fails twice every time. But webmin itself works fine, so I don't mind.
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Installing Gentoo to Other Things Gentoo.
not about getting gentoo installed, so moved here.

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: