Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oniq
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 5:44 am    Post subject: Uptime? Reply with quote

Any fellow uptime junkies out there?

What are your uptimes and Gentoo version + kernel?

Mines 34 days, 6 hours, 53 minutes as I type this. Running Gentoo 1.2 with 2.4.19-gentoo-r5 on my Presario :)
KiTaSuMbA
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering that I'm dual booting to that Other OS, my last "big" uptime was 12 days 22hrs 34 mins. (I know because I run uptime just before sending that init 6 command :P ). Now this is a tell-tale of for how much I actually need that other OS...

Last year's home gateway running slack8 on a P200MMX w/ 64MB ram (I hadn't met gentoo yet :P ) had a record of 71 days only to go down because of a power outage.
perry
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not too long because I shut down my system at night time. Can't stand the sound of the fans when I sleep, and haven't figured out a way to put it in stand-by or sleep mode.
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol.. I can't sleep well without the fans. My uptime was almost 60 days with a 1.4 box before I had to reboot to get an address off my old outlook setup in that windows partition that needs to be killed.
meekjt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 7:52 am    Post subject: Uptime... Reply with quote

I did have my Gentoo 1.4 rc1 gentoo 2.4.19r9 box up for 59 days when I had to reboot because this "vrc"http://www.stack.nl/~brama/vcr/ program would not die! :cry: Everything was working fine except for that.
gsfgf
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play with kernels so the gentoo box has an uptime of only up 6 days, 10:52, but the bsd server box has an uptime of up 39 days, 14:35, which i think corresponds to instlling the ups.
simulacrum
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My desktop machine is a dual boot machine, but my server (slackware) current uptime is: 55 days, 17:05. The last three reboots for it were power related. If I actually had a decent UPS it would be over 100 days :)
petu
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is my gentoo(desktop) box:
http://uptimes.wonko.com/account.php?op=details&hid=2081
current uptime: 6h 52min
max uptime: 28d 17h 27min

kernel still needs some tweaking

my debian(server) box with ups.
http://uptimes.wonko.com/account.php?op=details&hid=2080
current uptime: 221d 5h 16min

no reboots since installation

my redhat-7.3(server) box
http://uptimes.wonko.com/account.php?op=details&hid=2082
current uptime: 43d 23h 26min
max uptime: 109d 22h 56m

This machine runs nameservice for my home network and bind9 somehow halted my system when this box had max uptime. I was able to login as normal user but couldn't su to root or use sudo :(
fathergrief
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had my server up for 45 days and then I was started messing around with it. I think I switch kernels. I havn't had it stay up longer then that yet because of the power outages around here.
quag7
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both systems run 1.4 RC1:

16:46:51 up 18 days, 13:49, 0 users, load average: 0.17, 0.14, 0.0

16:47:00 up 61 days, 3:58, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

Hopefully my newish UPS will keep these both going for awhile. Note that the one with 61 days is on its first "prime time" boot - meaning, it has never been rebooted for a crash. It was rebooted a few times during install to ensure that things like my fstab and init scripts were correct, etc. Since all of that worked, it's not gone down.
craftyc
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"13:04:23 up 36 days, 19:25, 2 users, load average: 5.65, 3.63, 1.78"

Kind of worried about the load average. But that's my uptime. It's on a -r9 gentoo kernel.

Last edited by craftyc on Sun Dec 08, 2002 2:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mnemia
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got up to 49 days on the gentoo-r5 kernel before I had to reboot due to my jiffies setting rolling over my uptime. Needed to upgrade anyway, but I thought it was worth noting that the "outdated" gentoo kernel was that stable.
lx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I probably had my largest uptime when I played half-life for two days (half a year ago), oops wait, no biggest uptime probably when I went away for weekend and forgot to turn my system off (friday morning until monday evening). I only have private services so it doesn't need to be one all the time (although it's a nice heating device and takes all dust out of the air, ;-) ), at night it does nothing and if I'm a sleep I don't use it (can compile while working on it without problems), had a setup where a old box started my system when I send an email, was fun but well my compy just runs from 8 until 24.00, so if I want to log in remotely I can in this time-span and disable auto shutdown so I can work remotely all night......... besides if a new 2.5 kernel comes out I install it, but still I also have the urge to try to get a very long uptime, although my urge of running latest release will probably win it.

Cya lX.
phong
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dual boot my home machine and fool with kernels, so it's a bit pathetic (and it's gonna get rebooted again today to try the new vanilla sources to see if the bug for my CF reader is fixed):
Code:
phong@poecilotheria phong $ uptime
 15:46:48  up 9 days, 22:38,  1 user,  load average: 0.05, 0.18, 0.68

My desktop machine at work only has Gentoo, and doesn't get as much fooling around.
Code:
tschumm@chewbacca tschumm $ uptime
 15:44:04  up 53 days,  1:13,  2 users,  load average: 0.29, 0.20, 0.10

Both of those are with gentoo-sources-2.4.19-r9.
Curious
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back when I was working at designscape, we had this BSD box that was the 'uptime box'. It had been on for somewhere in the region of 300 days when I started working there. Practically every service on it had died ( including login ) and wouldn't revive, but it would still answer pings, and the systems administrator was tallying the uptime by hand. I think it was kind of a religious thing for him.

A cleaner unplugged it by accident around 390 days.

As for me, I believe my best uptime in Gentoo is around the ~40 day mark. I dual boot and recompile my kernel fairly frequently though.

-- Curious
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I turn my PC off when I don't need it, no need to polute the world more than we do already.

Long session of compiling stuff

uptime:
22:37:19 up 1 day, 11:29, 3 users, load average: 2.25, 2.08, 1.90

uname -a:
Linux pilot.stavtrup-st.dk 2.4.18-wolk3.8 #3 Wed Dec 4 23:17:30 CET 2002 i686 AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1700+ AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
!k
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

28 days...
solaris box at work is going on 100 :)
lx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curious wrote:
Back when I was working at designscape, we had this BSD box that was the 'uptime box'. It had been on for somewhere in the region of 300 days when I started working there. Practically every service on it had died ( including login ) and wouldn't revive, but it would still answer pings, and the systems administrator was tallying the uptime by hand. I think it was kind of a religious thing for him.

Accident,....... it was you wasn't it, :wink: . Well I don't think a compie not functions should count as being up, more like being a complete waste, ;-). Don't wanna get that far gone, too buy a computer cause I can't get into my 200 day-uptime current one........ :lol:

Good strory anyway, wonder what his boss thinks of it ;-)
squanto
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best uptime I have had on my main desktop is about 6 days. Since I sometiems shut down for night time it doesn't get much more than that. And we have power outages over ever long vacation here at school and I don't have an ups.
Had about 20 days once on a yellow dog linux install... but I can't compare to some of these 60+ day uptimes.
Pigeon
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

rofl, that's too funny.

My best uptime is in the region of 30-40 days. The wiring in my appartment is, at best, terrible, so it's impossible to maintain times higher than that. Additionally, the only box I leave on 24/7 is an old pentium pro with a power supply from a 486, and the cord is in a place that tends to get kicked a lot. My main box has a 7.7k RPM fan that's really a sound to behold. So, I really can't leave it on all night.
lemming
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, I think the best my home machines have gone is about 60 days. When I've been not in the mood to mess with them. Lately, I think a couple weeks would be a record.

'When I worked at one company and was heading the development of the Unix products, I had 30 machines in my office. Quite load, but the AC kicked in nicely. When I had to move offices, one of the machines had reached 364 days. I did an average and the mean time was about 240 days, but there were some that were rebooted daily. Other's were in the low 300s.
pilla
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought ear plugs, because I live in a studio with a very noisy refrigerator :(

perry wrote:
Not too long because I shut down my system at night time. Can't stand the sound of the fans when I sleep, and haven't figured out a way to put it in stand-by or sleep mode.
metalhedd
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tristam29 wrote:
lol.. I can't sleep well without the fans. My uptime was almost 60 days with a 1.4 box before I had to reboot to get an address off my old outlook setup in that windows partition that needs to be killed.

Ditto. I tend to sleep on the couch in my living room just because I find it more comfortable, but when I do sleep in my room i'm up all night because its just too quiet. I've had a PC in my room since i was about 14 or 15 so I've become very accustomed to fans. they put me to sleep :)
lx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

metalhedd wrote:
I've had a PC in my room since i was about 14 or 15 so I've become very accustomed to fans. they put me to sleep :)

Although I can probably sleep with a 486 or pentium in the room, maybe also with my old PentiumII 266 in the room (two case fans), I certainly can't sleep with the vacuumcleaner on, well I have three case fans and a cpu fan that regulates it's speed, but it makes an awfull racket, especially if it's busy, no I would certainly turn it off, besides the heat it generates is enormous.....

Cya lX.
fyerk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a RedHat 7.2 box (but will be Gentoo next time I have to take it down) 8)
Code:

8:53am  up 270 days, 23:41,  3 users,  load average: 3.07, 3.20, 3.02

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 1 of 17

Jump to: