Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
multilib: what is it? And how do I use it?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lincoder
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:39 pm    Post subject: multilib: what is it? And how do I use it? Reply with quote

I mean, how do i use it to compile 32-bit progs. My system is as follows:

Linux localhost 2.6.18-gentoo-r3 #7 SMP PREEMPT Sat Dec 9 17:45:55 GMT 2006 x86_64 AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+ AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux

If I was to compile a 32 bit program, do I just do:

USE="multilib" emerge mozilla-firefox..... // or whatever (e.g. for flash purposes)

Also, what is this nptl flag I keep hearing about (especially in regard to cedega et.al )?

When the program has been compiled will it be 32 bit? Will it be called something like firefox32? Will I then do something like USE="multilib" emerge flash to then get the 32 bit flash plugin?

Must I first append multilib (and nptl) to the USE variable list in make.conf and recompile glibc before there is even the facility to compile 32 bit programs?

Thanks, and sorry for all the questions :-)
Lincoder
thedude0001
Arch/Herd Tester
Arch/Herd Tester

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all: Forget the multilib USE flag, it isn't used for anything and only present for löegacy reasons. What you're looking for is a "native" multilib support where you can compile packages as either 32 or 64 bit versions. That is under development, but as of now it isn't available. For now "multilib" means we have binary packages to install 32bit libraries if you emerge a (binary) package that needs them (openoffice-bin or mplayer-bin come to mind, also programs like Google earth or various games).

NPTL is a threading library with relatively low overhead and therefor much more efficient when used in multithreading environments. Unless you have a specific reason not to you should add "nptl nptlonly" to your make.conf. For glibc-2.4 this is mandatory.
lincoder
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, much appreciated :-)

Lincoder
reteo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Multilib will allow you to run 32-bit compiled programs, but it won't compile them. However, if you can establish an x86 chroot, you can use it to do the compiling.

You can find the explanation in This thread.

The Penguin Producer - Tips, tricks, and techniques for producing various forms of media with Linux tools.
thedude0001
Arch/Herd Tester
Arch/Herd Tester

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

reteo wrote:
Multilib will allow you to run 32-bit compiled programs, but it won't compile them.

Well, that is only true for the current multilib implementation in Gentoo which is sort of an ugly hack. In a true / natural multilib environment you also compile the 32bit programs. Hopefully we will get there soon...
Slippery Jim
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thedude0001 wrote:
reteo wrote:
Multilib will allow you to run 32-bit compiled programs, but it won't compile them.

Well, that is only true for the current multilib implementation in Gentoo which is sort of an ugly hack. In a true / natural multilib environment you also compile the 32bit programs. Hopefully we will get there soon...

Ok, so is this (http://dev.gentoo.org/~blubb/glep-multilib.html) the true / natural multilib environment or is it the ugly hack?

I want to help. Do you have a test profile or a howto or something to set up a multilib environment?

I definitely want links to more information, if it's not an imposition, please.
reteo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thedude0001 wrote:
reteo wrote:

Is there a way to set up a multilib in a 32-bit environment? Such a layout would allow one to use the x86 chroot to compile all 32-bit libraries for the 64-bit environment.

The Penguin Producer - Tips, tricks, and techniques for producing various forms of media with Linux tools.
spielc
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umm I always thought that glibc was already multilib-compatible? From what i can remember it is compiled twice once to get the 64-bit-version and the second time to get the 32-bit version? Other libs are not yet ready (as far as i can remember) that's why we have the emul-linux-x86-packages... But from what i've read the aim is to make such libraries compile twice to get both 64- and 32-bit version of the corresponding packages when you are running a multilib-environment
reteo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. However, as of yet, I've not encountered such a layout; the 'multilib' flag used to multiply-compile the toolchain, but has since ceased to be the case. Supposedly, the ABI environment variable should be set to the bit level of packages to be compiled, but as of right now, it still only seems to compile in the 64-bit environment, hence my use of the chroot to do 32-bit compiles.

Slippery Jim
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slippery Jim wrote:
thedude0001 wrote:
reteo wrote:

Ok, so is this (http://dev.gentoo.org/~blubb/glep-multilib.html) the true / natural multilib environment or is it the ugly hack?

I want to help. Do you have a test profile or a howto or something to set up a multilib environment?

I definitely want links to more information, if it's not an imposition, please.

bump...

Anyone know where I can find some documentation for using and testing multilib features in portage?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: