Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Gentoo Framebuffer, Bootsplash & Grubsplash - SUPPORT
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jusino
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:33 am    Post subject: can't seem to emerge bootsplash Reply with quote

I'm using the gentoo-sources kernel (2.4.28-r5), and have an extremely minimal installation (just got it up and running today).

When I try to emerge bootsplash, it grinds for a while as it begins making jpeg-6b-r4, and then i get a string of errors:
Code:

g++ /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-pc-linux-gnu3.3.4/../../../crti.o: No such file or directory
g++ /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-pc-linux-gnu3.3.4/../../../crtbeginS.o: No such file or directory
g++ /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-pc-linux-gnu3.3.4/../../../crtendS.o: No such file or directory
g++ /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-pc-linux-gnu3.3.4/../../../crtn.o.o: No such file or directory
make: *** [libjpeg.la] Error 1

!!! ERROR: media-libs/jpeg-6b-r4 failed.
!!! Function src_compile, Line 43, Exitcode 2
!!! make failed
!!! If you need support, post the topmost build error, etc

Not sure what I'm missing. Is there some other package that I need to emerge or what?

Thanks,

emj
jusino
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:39 am    Post subject: one more thing Reply with quote

Is it better just to install the latest dev kernel and go with the more up to date fbsplash deal?

Keep in mind that I'm brand spanking new to gentoo (and to compiling kernels)...

Suggestions?

emj
jusino
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:54 am    Post subject: gcc problem, then? Reply with quote

So I've been wandering around the forums looking for people with similar problems. Came across a post:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=291990

So it's probably a gcc problem? I'll re-emerge it as soon as my poor 300Mhz laptop grinds through compiling vim....

emj
mel_82
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:50 am    Post subject: No video on NVIDIA GEForce5200GO! Reply with quote

I use Lilo, and i've followed the Framebbuffer HOWTO
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_fbsplash

But now there is no video output..

The kernel boots correctly (I can log in and reboot the pc), but the only thing I see is a blank screen.

Why?
I use vesa-tng, lilo, on the last gentto-dev-sources kernel (2.6.10-something).
craigf
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: default initrd's splashscreens are working but my one not Reply with quote

hi all,

i installed gentoo (2.4.28-r5) on my old thinpad two days ago, and everything is running fine.
i am having problems with the bootsplash screen though.
i have followed the HOWTO, set all kernel options, etc. and have a working grub config.
but when i try to use a custom built initrd, either by
Code:
/sbin/splash -s -f /etc/bootsplash/mars/config/bootsplash-1280x1024.cfg > /boot/initrd-1280x1024

or by
Code:
/sbin/bootsplash_initrdgen mars
cp /usr/share/bootsplash/initrd-mars-1280x1024 /boot/initrd-1280x1024

the splash screen just shows tux on the top left corner. no picture.

if i
Code:
cp /usr/share/bootsplash/initrd-default-1280x1024 /boot/initrd-1280x1024

the gentoo supplied boot screen works just fine!
this indicates to me that my grub.conf is working correctly.

the only lines i change in the bootsplash-***.cfg are the lines pointing to the image locations. i have *super-quadriple* checked that the paths are correct.

any ideas??

much thanks
dkaplowitz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:56 pm    Post subject: 2.6 Question Reply with quote

Hi,

I made a decision at some point to follow gentoo-dev-sources and my framebuffer/bootsplash became increasingly difficult to keep working, so I ditched framebuffer/bootsplash.

Can anyone quickly tell me what the latest 2.6 kernel I can use with Framebuffer/bootsplash is? Is it the 2.6.8 that is mentioned on the howto thread?

I'm running 2.6.10-gentoo-r5 right now and my system's running nicely. I'd like to stay as close to this kernel version as possible. It's no problem to run an older version of the kernel, but it'd be nice not to have to.

Thanks for any help.

Dave
G|N|
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: 2.6 Question Reply with quote

dkaplowitz wrote:
Hi,

I made a decision at some point to follow gentoo-dev-sources and my framebuffer/bootsplash became increasingly difficult to keep working, so I ditched framebuffer/bootsplash.

Can anyone quickly tell me what the latest 2.6 kernel I can use with Framebuffer/bootsplash is? Is it the 2.6.8 that is mentioned on the howto thread?

I'm running 2.6.10-gentoo-r5 right now and my system's running nicely. I'd like to stay as close to this kernel version as possible. It's no problem to run an older version of the kernel, but it'd be nice not to have to.

Thanks for any help.

Dave

you have to use genplash with that kernel

the howto can be found here: http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_fbsplash
peka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

here's my story:

I'm using 2.6.11-gentoo-r5 kernel sources
I'm using splashutils version 1.1.9.3
My graphic card is nVidia GeForce 6600GT
Here's a part of my kernel config:
Code:
#
# Graphics support
#
CONFIG_FB=y
CONFIG_FB_MODE_HELPERS=y
# CONFIG_FB_TILEBLITTING is not set
# CONFIG_FB_CIRRUS is not set
# CONFIG_FB_PM2 is not set
# CONFIG_FB_CYBER2000 is not set
# CONFIG_FB_ASILIANT is not set
# CONFIG_FB_IMSTT is not set
# CONFIG_FB_VGA16 is not set
CONFIG_FB_VESA=y
# CONFIG_FB_VESA_STD is not set
CONFIG_FB_VESA_TNG=y
CONFIG_FB_VESA_DEFAULT_MODE="1024x768@85"
CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT=y
# CONFIG_FB_HGA is not set
# CONFIG_FB_RIVA is not set
# CONFIG_FB_I810 is not set
# CONFIG_FB_INTEL is not set
# CONFIG_FB_MATROX is not set
# CONFIG_FB_RADEON_OLD is not set
# CONFIG_FB_RADEON is not set
# CONFIG_FB_ATY128 is not set
# CONFIG_FB_ATY is not set
# CONFIG_FB_SAVAGE is not set
# CONFIG_FB_SIS is not set
# CONFIG_FB_NEOMAGIC is not set
# CONFIG_FB_KYRO is not set
# CONFIG_FB_3DFX is not set
# CONFIG_FB_VOODOO1 is not set
# CONFIG_FB_TRIDENT is not set
# CONFIG_FB_VIRTUAL is not set

#
# Console display driver support
#
CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_DUMMY_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE=y
# CONFIG_FONTS is not set
CONFIG_FONT_8x8=y
CONFIG_FONT_8x16=y

#
# Logo configuration
#
CONFIG_LOGO=y
# CONFIG_LOGO_LINUX_MONO is not set
# CONFIG_LOGO_LINUX_VGA16 is not set
CONFIG_LOGO_LINUX_CLUT224=y
# CONFIG_BACKLIGHT_LCD_SUPPORT is not set
CONFIG_FB_SPLASH=y

Here's a part of my grub.conf:
Code:
title  Gentoo GNU/Linux 2.6.11-gentoo-r5
root   (hd0,5)
kernel /kernel-2.6.11-gentoo-r5 root=/dev/hde8 video=vesafb:ywrap,mtrr,1024x768-32@85 splash=silent,theme:emergence
initrd /fbsplash-emergence-1024x768

Here's my /etc/conf.d/splash:
Code:
# Config file for splashutils

# a theme to use, probably best left commented (the theme specified
# on the kernel command line is used)
# SPLASH_THEME="gentoo"

# on which ttys should fbsplash be enabled? defaults to RC_TTY_NUMBER
SPLASH_TTYS="0 1 2 3 4 5"

# what font to use? defaults to what fbtruetype uses
SPLASH_FONT="luxisri.ttf"

# boot/reboot/shutdown message overrides
# SPLASH_BOOT_MESSAGE="Booting the system"
# SPLASH_REBOOT_MESSAGE="Rebooting the system"
# SPLASH_SHUTDOWN_MESSAGE="Shutting the system down"

# should we drop to verbose mode on initscript errors? (yes/no)
SPLASH_VERBOSE_ON_ERRORS="yes"

# allows to set different themes on different consoles
# format: "<console>:<theme> <console>:<theme> (...)"
# SPLASH_TTY_MAP="1:emergence"

And here's what happens:
... well, nothing happens in verbose mode. Everything looks like when I had no fbsplash installed.
In silent mode nothing happens unless I put "CONSOLE=/dev/tty1" in kernel line of grub.conf (b/c it tells me to do so). Even then, I can see the splah screen for a moment but boottime messages are printed over the splash on black bacground and eventually splash get scrolled. When boottime messgaes stop scrolling for a moment, then splash appears again but not on the whole screen - even with progress bar working. It reacts when I press F2, too.
When I put "CONSOLE=/dev/vc/1" (I get a message from vc/1 when I type reboot from that console) it;s even worse. "Bringing up lo" lasts very long and I wasn't eneugh patient to see if "starting local" ever finishes.

What can I say?
Please help!

Seize the time, Meribor. Live now; make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again...
Jean-Luc Picard, Star Trek TNG - The Inner Light
peka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my problem was that I used splashutils version 1.1 which I emerge under running mm-sources b/c the stable version 0.9 failed to compile.
Now when I run gentoo-sources I could emerge the stable version and now it works!

Seize the time, Meribor. Live now; make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again...
Jean-Luc Picard, Star Trek TNG - The Inner Light
snorri_dj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 1:21 pm    Post subject: Radeonfb and Framebuffer Splash Reply with quote

Seem to have found alot of questions with regards to the radeonfb framebuffer splash but not too many solutions so I've been doing some playing around with it. Haven't worked it all out yet, but hopefully this might help some of you.

Two kernel options to consider:
1) Vesafb-tng
2) Radeonfb

1) Vesafb-tng works fine and manages the gensplash framebuffer without a problem. Just follow the Wiki guide [url=http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_fbsplash]here[/url. It had me set up and going no problem. Be sure to use vesafb and not vesafb-tng in your grub file though! This fooled me for a while. e.g.

video=vesafb:ywrap,pmipal,1400x1050-24@85 splash=verbose,theme:emergence

To get it showing up on all screens (alt-f#)

rc-update add splash default

2) Just out of perversity I tried the radeonfb as well. Deleted the vesafb option from the kernel and tried the radeonfb on its own. Make sure you include the DDC/I2C for ATI support as well. I also added the debugging option (directly beneath). Interestingly enough, it aborted and dropped back to the default tux gensplash at 640x480. So it was obviously missing all the arguments passed to it, including the splash theme. This is where I checked the debugging option in the kernel and dmesg notified me that it was grabbing parameters from the bios. I edited the grub line so that it looked like

video=radeonfb splash=verbose,theme:emergence

and it worked fine - dropped into a 1400x1050 display (default for my lcd I guess). Now - were these the parameters picked up from bios? Passing it vga options doesn't work as well, so it doesn't behave like vesafb (as opposed to vesafb-tng). It could be that the radeonfb driver will only work at a single default setting, or perhaps I've just got my frequencies and resolutions set incorrectly? Not sure. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable can say, but at least it provides some info to those out there trying with it.

Cheers,
Daniel.
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Locked. Continues here
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38
Page 38 of 38

Jump to: