Strange, Childish Dilemma
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Myrddin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 1:53 pm    Post subject: Strange, Childish Dilemma Reply with quote

Hey,
I want to point out this isn't meant to put down Gentoo in anyway.

I've been using Linux for 3 or 4 years, mostly Mandrake and Red Hat.

About 3 or so months ago, I installed Gentoo on several of my systems after experimenting with it -- I was in love! ;)

Now the problem is... Within a month I have to move back to dialup from broadband and maintaining and setting up Gentoo box's is gonna be bloody hard.

As much as I love Gentoo I find myself thinking it would be easier to pack it all in and use Red Hat or Mandrake or something.

You understand? I'm thinking that if I just buy the CD's of RH or MDK when they release a new edition and upgrade using that theres no downloading involved no problems ... 'cept I lose Gentoo.. :(

As far as one can love an Operating System... I love using Gentoo. Theres no way I'm going back to Windows.

So the choices are... either struggle along with Gentoo on dialup.. gah I doubt I could cope.. I'm a very impatient person for downloads.. when things are compiling I know there'll be a good outcome so it's not as bad ;) or I use Mandrake/Red Hat and don't upgrade anything manually and follow their upgrade path (e.g. 8.0 --> 9.0 -- 9.1 --> Whatever) by buying the release CD's.

Argh... You understand my rather childish problem?

Help? :roll:

I don't know what to do....

Is Gentoo managable on (slow) dialup?
I know this is a Gentoo site.. but is RH/MDK really so bad compared? (After using Gentoo and portage etc. for a while now my head tells me it is..)

Argh!
AlterEgo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure gentoo is manageable on dialup. It won't be bleeding edge though.
Make sure you're happy with your system, and only update security stuff and things you really, REALLY need.
idl
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I first used Gentoo on a dial-up. It didnt bother me at all.. i'd just fetch huge packages over night and be carefull when cleaning my distfiles.
Theres allways something you can do to pass the time while waiting for downloads :)
guero61
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree -- once your system is set up initially, the bandwidth requirements can be far less. Get yourself a backup binary (SuSE's good, I hear, if you're buying) just in case you can't cut it with dialup, but give it a shot with the big purple G first!
Ellidi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite a few people here on the forums are using dial-up.
They seem to be coping but of course there are harder times than others :)
avenj
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used Gentoo on dialup for a long time - in fact, the first five months of my Gentoo development career were spent on a 56k dialup. It's not so bad.
charlieg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have physical access (ie Real Life - don't be shocked, it exists) to somewhere with more bandwidth and a CD burner?

You can download the current portage tree and the larger distfiles from one of the Gentoo mirrors, then copy into /usr/portage and /usr/portage/distfiles and you're away, only a few small packages to download to complete the set.

Open source web-enabled rich UI platform: Vexi
charlieg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Strange, Childish Dilemma Reply with quote

Myrddin wrote:
I know this is a Gentoo site.. but is RH/MDK really so bad compared? (After using Gentoo and portage etc. for a while now my head tells me it is..)

Yessss the brain washing techniques are working... mwuhahaha must report back to Drobbins... mwuhaha mwuhahahahaha

MWUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

MWUHAHAAAHAHAAAAAHAHAHAMWUHAHAHAHA

MWUAHAHAHAAAAAAAAHAHAHA

MWWUUHAAAAAHAHAHAHA

</evil>

Open source web-enabled rich UI platform: Vexi
carambola5
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

charlieg wrote:
Do you have physical access (ie Real Life - don't be shocked, it exists) to somewhere with more bandwidth and a CD burner?

You can download the current portage tree and the larger distfiles from one of the Gentoo mirrors, then copy into /usr/portage and /usr/portage/distfiles and you're away, only a few small packages to download to complete the set.

dang... beat me to it.

Using dialup would be significantly easier if you had occasional access to a high-speed connection and a CD-RW drive. You could have one RW disc devoted to transferring distfiles when you need them.

Of course, emerge sync'ing won't be all that bad so you'll know when you need to get that cd burned.
RdsArts
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, depending on what you want, maybe you should look at FreeBSD for the time between broadbands. Most of the benifits of Gentoo, and a full compiled distro every so often. It's the same price as Red Hat and Mandrake, more of what you do on FreeBSD is applicable on Gentoo, and vice versa. And 5.1 is planned for June, so hey.
Cossins
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to say that feel very sorry for you, going from broadband to dial-up... Doesn't it say something about that somewhere in the Geneva-convention?

</OT>

- Simon
gsfgf
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just dl over night anf only what you need.
Seoushi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently went from 1.5mbit t1 to 26.4 dial-up. while using the net is slower, it doesn't really hurt my system in the least. I got everything I thought I needed for the summer (till I get back to college) and so far I have been happy. I have access to my friends cable modem if I really need it but I haven't yet. Although its only been about a week sibce I had to make the switch I think I will be fine for the summer. Only think I would dread is installing over dial-up without the dist files on a cd.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: