Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Howto fglrx driver with 2.6.19
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

 
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
pay
n00b
n00b


Joined: 30 Sep 2006
Posts: 23

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject: Howto fglrx driver with 2.6.19 Reply with quote

With the 2.6.19 kernel, I couldn't get the ati-driver to install untill I found this thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=293355
So to get the ati-driver to emerge do
Code:
 nano /usr/src/linux-2.6.19-gentoo-r1/include/linux/config.h
and copy and paste this
Code:
#ifndef _LINUX_CONFIG_H
#define _LINUX_CONFIG_H
/* This file is no longer in use and kept only for backward compatibility.
 * autoconf.h is now included via -imacros on the commandline
 */
#include <linux/autoconf.h>

#endif
then compile the kernel as you see fit and boot into it and emerge the ati-drivers.
Just thought that I would share my experiences.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RoeR
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 11 Aug 2002
Posts: 99
Location: Vienna, Austria

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ey - thanks for that post - maybe someone could integrate a patch for the upcoming 2.6.19 releases which just includes that config.h file as long as ati-drivers and many other ebuilds (svgalibs, vmware?) are not able to compile with the new kernel.

thx again - now i've working ati-drivers again

regards
_________________
Unix is user friendly, it's just very picky about who its friends are.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dencar
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 23 Dec 2003
Posts: 108
Location: Noosa, Australia

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent. Many thanks. :D
_________________
dencar
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MixedSoul
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 09 Feb 2006
Posts: 96

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx a lot! it worked! :D eh eh eh
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pay
n00b
n00b


Joined: 30 Sep 2006
Posts: 23

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RoeR wrote:
ey - thanks for that post - maybe someone could integrate a patch for the upcoming 2.6.19 releases which just includes that config.h file as long as ati-drivers and many other ebuilds (svgalibs, vmware?) are not able to compile with the new kernel.

thx again - now i've working ati-drivers again

regards
Yeah that would be ideal and then have that patch as part of the gentoo-sources.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
laserprinter
n00b
n00b


Joined: 03 Dec 2006
Posts: 2

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's great, thank you very much..
_________________
lazy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JaQoB
n00b
n00b


Joined: 31 Mar 2005
Posts: 28

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
paluszak
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 28 Jun 2004
Posts: 201
Location: Warsaw, Poland

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pay wrote:
RoeR wrote:
ey - thanks for that post - maybe someone could integrate a patch for the upcoming 2.6.19 releases which just includes that config.h file as long as ati-drivers and many other ebuilds (svgalibs, vmware?) are not able to compile with the new kernel.

thx again - now i've working ati-drivers again

regards
Yeah that would be ideal and then have that patch as part of the gentoo-sources.


Hi,

I ran into the same problem, but I think we (or devs) should leave the sources alone and patch the ebuilds instead.

J.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pay
n00b
n00b


Joined: 30 Sep 2006
Posts: 23

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paluszak wrote:

Hi,

I ran into the same problem, but I think we (or devs) should leave the sources alone and patch the ebuilds instead.

J.
Yeah now that I think about it theres probably a very good reason why linus decided o remove that config.h and I'm guessing that the next release of ati's drivers probably won't need that file.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
prymitive
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 13 Jun 2004
Posts: 260

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My whole computer hangs once per every few reboots under 2.6.19 when starting X (I'm using Xgl), never had such problem with ati, does anyone have same problem with 2.6.19 and fglrx?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pay
n00b
n00b


Joined: 30 Sep 2006
Posts: 23

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had that same problem after I decided to test out Sabayon for a few hours on a spare harddrive. All I did was update the kernel to 2.6.19 and then it just hung. I didn't think much about it and went back to my Gentoo drive.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
al1ta
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 18 Apr 2005
Posts: 77

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Howto fglrx driver with 2.6.19 Reply with quote

pay wrote:
With the 2.6.19 kernel, I couldn't get the ati-driver to install untill I found this thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=293355
So to get the ati-driver to emerge do
Code:
 nano /usr/src/linux-2.6.19-gentoo-r1/include/linux/config.h
and copy and paste this
Code:
#ifndef _LINUX_CONFIG_H
#define _LINUX_CONFIG_H
/* This file is no longer in use and kept only for backward compatibility.
 * autoconf.h is now included via -imacros on the commandline
 */
#include <linux/autoconf.h>

#endif
then compile the kernel as you see fit and boot into it and emerge the ati-drivers.
Just thought that I would share my experiences.


That doesn't work for me. :cry:
I'm using 2.6.19.1 vanilla sources. I have copy the config.h from /usr/src/linux-2.6.16.19/include/linux/config.h and copied to /usr/src/linux-2.6.19.1/include/linux/

compiling the ati drivers give me the same result.... the following error:

make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.19.1'
CC [M] /var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.30.3-r1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.o
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.30.3-r1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c:452: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.30.3-r1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c: In function 'firegl_stub_open':
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.30.3-r1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c:575: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target type
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.30.3-r1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c: In function 'firegl_put_user_ptr':
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.30.3-r1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c:1344: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.30.3-r1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c:1344: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.30.3-r1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c:1344: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.30.3-r1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c:1344: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.30.3-r1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c: In function '__ke_request_irq':
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.30.3-r1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c:2506: warning: passing argument 2 of 'request_irq' from incompatible pointer type
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.30.3-r1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c: In function '__ke_unregister_ioctl32_conversion':
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.30.3-r1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c:2529: warning: 'return' with a value, in function returning void
LD [M] /var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.30.3-r1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/fglrx.o
Building modules, stage 2.
MODPOST 1 modules
CC /var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.30.3-r1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/fglrx.mod.o
LD [M] /var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.30.3-r1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/fglrx.ko
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.19.1'
>>> Source compiled.
--------------------------- ACCESS VIOLATION SUMMARY ---------------------------
LOG FILE = "/var/log/sandbox/sandbox-x11-drivers_-_ati-drivers-8.30.3-r1-7691.log"

open_wr: /usr/src/linux-2.6.19.1/astest7778.out
open_wr: /usr/src/linux-2.6.19.1/astest7782.out
open_wr: /usr/src/linux-2.6.19.1/astest7786.out
open_wr: /usr/src/linux-2.6.19.1/astest7790.out
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


same thing happens compiling the vmware-modules. I'm using a gentoo 2006.1 on x86_64 pentium D dual core.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pay
n00b
n00b


Joined: 30 Sep 2006
Posts: 23

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have copy the config.h from /usr/src/linux-2.6.16.19/include/linux/config.h and copied to /usr/src/linux-2.6.19.1/include/linux/
The 2.6.19 kernel doesn't have the config.h file. only 2.6.18 or earlier do.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MasterX
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 26 Jun 2003
Posts: 1165

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I created the config.h file and copied/pasted the text that "pay" suggested, but it does not work. I am keep getting an access violation error
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
appa
n00b
n00b


Joined: 18 Dec 2006
Posts: 4

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:40 pm    Post subject: try this patch Reply with quote

try this patch:

http://iphitus.loudas.com/beyond/2.6.19/2.6.19-beyond2/patches/2900_astest-sandbox.patch

this solves this problem, I hope so.

appa
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pay
n00b
n00b


Joined: 30 Sep 2006
Posts: 23

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took a look here https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=155533 and it says that the new driver has the config.h patch
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jstn
n00b
n00b


Joined: 30 Sep 2003
Posts: 29
Location: boston, ma.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Howto fglrx driver with 2.6.19 Reply with quote

al1ta wrote:
pay wrote:
With the 2.6.19 kernel, I couldn't get the ati-driver to install untill I found this thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=293355
So to get the ati-driver to emerge do
Code:
 nano /usr/src/linux-2.6.19-gentoo-r1/include/linux/config.h
and copy and paste this
Code:
#ifndef _LINUX_CONFIG_H
#define _LINUX_CONFIG_H
/* This file is no longer in use and kept only for backward compatibility.
 * autoconf.h is now included via -imacros on the commandline
 */
#include <linux/autoconf.h>

#endif
then compile the kernel as you see fit and boot into it and emerge the ati-drivers.
Just thought that I would share my experiences.


That doesn't work for me. :cry:
I'm using 2.6.19.1 vanilla sources. I have copy the config.h from /usr/src/linux-2.6.16.19/include/linux/config.h and copied to /usr/src/linux-2.6.19.1/include/linux/

compiling the ati drivers give me the same result.... the following error:

make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.19.1'
CC [M] /var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.30.3-r1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.o
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.30.3-r1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c:452: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.30.3-r1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c: In function 'firegl_stub_open':
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.30.3-r1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c:575: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target type
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.30.3-r1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c: In function 'firegl_put_user_ptr':
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.30.3-r1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c:1344: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.30.3-r1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c:1344: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.30.3-r1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c:1344: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.30.3-r1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c:1344: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.30.3-r1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c: In function '__ke_request_irq':
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.30.3-r1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c:2506: warning: passing argument 2 of 'request_irq' from incompatible pointer type
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.30.3-r1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c: In function '__ke_unregister_ioctl32_conversion':
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.30.3-r1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c:2529: warning: 'return' with a value, in function returning void
LD [M] /var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.30.3-r1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/fglrx.o
Building modules, stage 2.
MODPOST 1 modules
CC /var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.30.3-r1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/fglrx.mod.o
LD [M] /var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.30.3-r1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/fglrx.ko
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.19.1'
>>> Source compiled.
--------------------------- ACCESS VIOLATION SUMMARY ---------------------------
LOG FILE = "/var/log/sandbox/sandbox-x11-drivers_-_ati-drivers-8.30.3-r1-7691.log"

open_wr: /usr/src/linux-2.6.19.1/astest7778.out
open_wr: /usr/src/linux-2.6.19.1/astest7782.out
open_wr: /usr/s on an IBM THinkrc/linux-2.6.19.1/astest7786.out
open_wr: /usr/src/linux-2.6.19.1/astest7790.out
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


same thing happens compiling the vmware-modules. I'm using a gentoo 2006.1 on x86_64 pentium D dual core.


I'm running 2.6.19-rc6 on a Thinkpad T60p and I have the same problem. I had to do FEATURES="-sandbox" emerge ati-drivers in order for it to work. Weird.

- j
_________________
"talk is cheap because
supply exceeds demand."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MasterX
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 26 Jun 2003
Posts: 1165

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: try this patch Reply with quote

appa wrote:
try this patch:

http://iphitus.loudas.com/beyond/2.6.19/2.6.19-beyond2/patches/2900_astest-sandbox.patch

this solves this problem, I hope so.

appa


Thanks, it did solve the problem
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum