Harddrive problems
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Papapishu
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 12:59 pm    Post subject: Harddrive problems Reply with quote

I think my harddrive have gotten itself a bash or something, cause now it makes those scraping noises that a harddrive makes when the surface of the disks havbe been scratched.
When it tries to access that part of the disk, it scratches the disk and can't read nor write, and this'll only make the problem worse as it's scraping off even more of the surface.
This happens when I try to emerge something, either remove or install.
It locks my entire computer and is very irritating.
Is there a way to tell the hardware to just ignore that part of the harddrive, or do I have to get a whole new one?
OdinsDream
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Harddrive problems Reply with quote

Papapishu wrote:
I think my harddrive have gotten itself a bash or something, cause now it makes those scraping noises that a harddrive makes when the surface of the disks havbe been scratched.
When it tries to access that part of the disk, it scratches the disk and can't read nor write, and this'll only make the problem worse as it's scraping off even more of the surface.
This happens when I try to emerge something, either remove or install.
It locks my entire computer and is very irritating.
Is there a way to tell the hardware to just ignore that part of the harddrive, or do I have to get a whole new one?

I would not put any faith in a drive with physical damage like that, but that's just me.

Some drives have internal logic to mark "bad" spots and ignore them, but this is on a scale of a few sectors or so, not....gashes. Your drive is probably already trying to do this, and failing miserably.

Don't blame me. I didn't vote for him.

http://john.simplykiwi.com
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: