LiveUSB 2006.1 - Can't Mount / on Boot
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UberPinguin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:02 pm    Post subject: LiveUSB 2006.1 - Can't Mount / on Boot Reply with quote

I've had a look at http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/liveusb.xml and https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=3730409#3730409.
I eventually ended up using catalyst to build my own image. After a few days' work and several very obvious mistakes, I got the thing built, with GRUB as the bootloader instead of syslinux or isolinux.
I copied the results from /var/tmp/catalyst/builds/default/livecd-stage2-x86-UberPinguin-0.2/ to /media/sda1/ (my USB stick) and ran 'grub-install --root-directory=/media/sda1/ /dev/sda'. So far so good.

Minor Problem 1: On boot, GRUB does not load the menu; I have to specify 'configfile /boot/grub/grub.conf' at the prompt. I can work with this for now, so I'm not too worried.
The specified image loads and starts to boot, lots of nice kernel messages and module probing. But it ends up not being able to mount the root.

Grub.conf:
Code:
default 1
timeout 150

title help
cat /boot/help.msg

title gentoo
kernel /boot/gentoo root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc  looptype=squashfs loop=/image.squashfs  cdroot vga=791
initrd /boot/gentoo.igz

title gentoo [ No FrameBuffer ]
kernel /boot/gentoo root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc  looptype=squashfs loop=/image.squashfs  cdroot
initrd /boot/gentoo.igz

title memtest86
kernel /boot/memtest86

I've tried various 'real_root' parameters, including /dev/loop0 and tmpfs. I'm sure the problem is something so obvious that it's painful, but I'm really too close to see it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

P.S.: I have tried passing 'doslowusb' but it only takes longer to get to the error message:
Code:
>> Activating mdev
>> Determining root device...
!! The root block device is unspecified or not detected.
Please specifiy a device to boot, or "shell for a shell...
boot( ) :: _

I am left with a blinking cursor, but the keyboard does not respond; I have to force the system off to reboot.
You see, instead of arguing from ignorance, and fear, there is only one way to verify a theory. And that's not by clutching a black book and begging the sky fairy for deliverance from the mad scientists and their big machines.
UberPinguin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: I thought I'd simplify things by extracting the image.squashfs to create a normal installation on the flash drive. I updated /etc/fstab and /boot/grub/grub.conf to reflect the changes, re-installed grub to /dev/sda and rebooted....

Only to be confronted with the same problem. This time, though, the error says that (as near as I can remember) 'Block device /dev/sda1 is not a valid root device.' Same boot( ) : :_ prompt, same frozen keyboard.

Modified configs:
grub.conf
Code:
default 1
timeout 150

title help
cat /boot/help.msg

title gentoo
kernel /boot/gentoo root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc real_root=/dev/sda1 video=vesafb:1024x768-32@60
initrd /boot/gentoo.igz

title gentoo [ No FrameBuffer ]
kernel /boot/gentoo root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc real_root=/dev/sda1
initrd /boot/gentoo.igz

title memtest86
kernel /boot/memtest86

fstab
Code:
####################################################
## ATTENTION: THIS IS THE FSTAB ON THE LIVECD    ##
## PLEASE EDIT THE FSTAB at /mnt/gentoo/etc/fstab ##
####################################################
/dev/sda1       /       ext3            defaults        0 0
tmpfs   /lib/firmware   tmpfs           defaults        0 0
tmpfs   /usr/portage    tmpfs           defaults        0 0
/.opt.sqfs      /opt    squashfs        loop,defaults,ro        0 0
/.usr.sqfs      /usr    squashfs        loop,defaults,ro        0 0
/.lib.sqfs      /lib    squashfs        loop,defaults,ro        0 0
/dev/sda2       /mnt/shared     vfat    defaults,rw     0 0

Note that I squashed /opt, /usr, and /lib - without that, we're looking at ~1.5GB being eaten. With it, everything fits into 600MB with a little space to spare.

Any other thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated!
You see, instead of arguing from ignorance, and fear, there is only one way to verify a theory. And that's not by clutching a black book and begging the sky fairy for deliverance from the mad scientists and their big machines.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: