Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
X11 on Gentoo Prefix
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo for Mac OS X (Portage for Mac OS X)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gustav IV
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: X11 on Gentoo Prefix Reply with quote

Hi everyone

I have successfully installed Gentoo Prefix on my Mac G5, mit keine problemos, hoping at a later point to ditch the Fink, which is a fine porting tool, but it's Gimp immediately crashes when you try to write text in it. I would like to get a good working Gimp on the Mac side of my Mac, but I can't find gimp from the Prefix shell when I run:
Code:
emerge --search gimp

and I would also like to ultimately install X11 in its new and improve X.org version working from Prefix, and then unistall XDarwin which is xfree86 based. Search for X11 only gives two or three library files that can be emerged.

Any suggestions?

Yours
Gustav IV
hermanng
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many ways to run gimp under Mac OS X. Why not using the easiest one, looking for gimp on www.macupdate.com ? I have version 2.2 running without a problem (although I have to admit, I'm not using it much).
There also is a gimp version in prefix portage (version 9999). Maybe you should do an "emerge --sync".
Obviously (by looking at usr/portage/x11-base/) there is currently no general X11 support in prefix portage, but gimp itself uses gtk rather than x11, and qt seem also to compile fine (emerge currently runs in background here) - and, given all the mac specialties (interfacing with mac os x aqua) I don't know, if it is worth the effort.

I do cross-development on the mac, running Linux(Solaris, etc.) in virtual machines, working via ssh and starting X-apps when needed. There is only very rarely any problem with X. It is stable enough, to do everyday development work.
If you do much graphics under X11, YMMV.
grobian
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: X11 on Gentoo Prefix Reply with quote

Gustav IV wrote:

and I would also like to ultimately install X11 in its new and improve X.org version working from Prefix, and then unistall XDarwin which is xfree86 based. Search for X11 only gives two or three library files that can be emerged.

Any suggestions?

We're looking at XQuartz or something, which is an X server based on Quartz, Apple's graphical stuff. Not in the tree though, needs some volunteers to figure out if an how it works.
hermanng
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loosely follow the discussions in the apple x11 users mailing list (x11-users@lists.apple.com - although I do not read he developers list xquartz-dev@lists.macosforge.org). The community is very alive and there is a lot work done. I would propose to use the x11 package, that is provided there by Jeremy Huddleston, not redoing work that is done there. Also there are still problems with x11 and opengl, that have to be solved by apple (currently you cannot have accelerated opengl graphics under x11 due a linker problem).
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo for Mac OS X (Portage for Mac OS X) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: