Shutdown -r (runlevel 6) calls runlevel 0? [Solved]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
piwacet
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject: Shutdown -r (runlevel 6) calls runlevel 0? [Solved] Reply with quote

Hi. I have a recent fresh install, and I can shut down but not reboot my computer.

Shutdown -r now (as root) gives the usual "system going down for reboot now" and shows entering runlevel 6.

Several services are stopped, as usual; then 'deactivating swap ..... O.K' shows;
then there's a message about init entering runlevel 0;
then 'deactivating swap ..... O.K' shows again;
then a few more services stop, and the system halts (powers off).

Of note, when fdisck has completed it's check of the disk on startup, and needs to reboot, the computer reboots fine.
And I've had gentoo on this computer before without problems, so I doubt it's a hardware problem.

I've tried not using swap; upgrading to baselayout-1.12.12, upgrading to sysvinit-2.86-r12, using acpid, not using acpid, using hald, not using hald. Nothing seems to fix it.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Last edited by piwacet on Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:16 am; edited 1 time in total
piwacet
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I figured it out and it was caused by my own setup trying to set some scripts to allow a normal user to shutdown the computer.

All fixed. I doubt this problem will bite someone else, but post here if it does and I'll go over it in more detail.

Thanks!
dennisn
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem as you, but after I ran "reiserfsck" (in "init 2", or whenever you're able to remount / ro), it magically was able to shutdown and reboot again.

(In my case, the problem started after I upgraded to kernel version 2.6.29, from my previous 2.6.27 ... I'm still not sure if this had anything to do with the problem, or what the cause of the problem was --- ie. how does fsck'ing (or lack thereof) the root partition affect the ability for the system to power itself off? (Btw, even when I had this problem, I was actually able to get it to power down when using suspend-to-disk, by "echo shutdown > /sys/power/disk" (which was set to platform initially)... I'm not sure if a similar workaround exists for normal shutdowns))
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: