Death of the true Command Line
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cossins
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 3:46 pm    Post subject: Death of the true Command Line Reply with quote

Hi there,
I was just wondering: Would it be possible to configure a Linux system to be completely without a command line? I don't mean to ban the command line totally, just hiding it the way MacOS X does it, bringing users directly into X as soon as they've selected Linux from the Grub-menu... Or maybe just putting some fancy background onto the black virtual terminal for power users to see what goes on.

I must admit I adore the command line, and the primary reason why I switched completely to Linux was because of the power of the command line (and the coolness :)). But I am beginning to think that a black screen with some white signs on it is becoming quite worn-out, comparing Linux to other major OS's.

Also, most new (new!) users nearly panic every time they are not greeted with a GUI - maybe making it all look nicer would attract more users and stuff... :)

- Simon
handsomepete
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Search the forums for the (incredible and informative) bootsplash howto and (if you're feeling lucky) progress patch (particularily this thread from the maintainer (?) for info and links at the bottom of the post). Then use the desktop user guide to setup your desktop and to boot directly to gdm/kdm/xdm and you should be pretty much console and boot text free. I just played with Mandrake 9.1 and they do something like this by default (and it looks pretty nice).

Another easy trick is to redirect console boot output to somewhere else (adding something like console=ttyS1 CONSOLE=ttyS1 to the end of your boot line will do the trick). Then you just get whatever framebuffer pic you compiled into the kernel (if any) and no text until the system is up.
frippz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would look cool with a bootsplash with a progressbar. I myself use a "standard" bootsplash with the text rolling on inside a square (yeah, you get the idea). I even think I'd like to have one just for the looks, but at the same time I like looking at the bootprocess, making sure everything starts up ok.
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many ways to hide the commandline in linux. The bootsplash tips are all really good. However, the only way that a new (new!) user is going to master linux is by having a decent understanding of the commandline. I believe the only way to do this is by simply jumping in headfirst. Just my two cents. I use KDE so that when other people have to use my computer for something they will be able to manage without my help.
gsfgf
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

masseya wrote:
There are many ways to hide the commandline in linux. The bootsplash tips are all really good. However, the only way that a new (new!) user is going to master linux is by having a decent understanding of the commandline. I believe the only way to do this is by simply jumping in headfirst. Just my two cents. I use KDE so that when other people have to use my computer for something they will be able to manage without my help.

funny i use flux on my laptop so people can't use my com w/out me being there.
dennis
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's funny i had a party at my house and i left my fluxbox computer running ...
without me having to explain anything they mastered to start gaim, surf the net and so on. and all that drunk ...

after a while, someone asked me, why my computer looks so weird, and why it has two monitors (xinerama) ... that however they couldn't understand right away
frippz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just love that practically no one of my friends knows squat about Linux. When I'm having a party I just hide XMMS on another desktop and remove the desktop switcher. Then nobody can mess up my perfect play list! :D

It's even more fun watching those poor bastard trying to figure out where the hell the Start button went! :mrgreen:

"Hey! What kind of weird Windows are you running...?"
guero61
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a professor (huge proponent of Macs and OS9) that wants to eradicate any CLI at all. Ever. Says the CLI sucks and that everything can be done the same or better and faster in a GUI.
handsomepete
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weird. I'm pretty sure typing 'df' in a console is the fastest way for me to see how much free space I have on all of my partitions... but we've all got our hangups (yes, I realize it was your professor saying it, not you :) ). I don't really like using a mouse, for instance, but I enjoy having a nice looking desktop to use. *shrug*
Ellidi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

guero61 wrote:
I have a professor (huge proponent of Macs and OS9) that wants to eradicate any CLI at all. Ever. Says the CLI sucks and that everything can be done the same or better and faster in a GUI.
Tell him to lean over so you can slap him one day:)
Ellidi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And there actually is a command-line in MacOs9..
press the ctrl(the museum sign next to the space bar on left)+The-weird-power-button-on-the-keyboard.
Fun to mess around with :)
gsfgf
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ellidi wrote:
press the ctrl(the museum sign next to the space bar on left)+The-weird-power-button-on-the-keyboard.

Cool. Except since i adhere to the "Friends don't let friends use OS9" philosophy, i don't know anyone w/ an os9 setup.
drbobguy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ellidi wrote:

Eh, the only kind of "command line interface" you can get on classic Mac OS is Open Firmware, and that's all done in FORTH. There is no command line in classic Mac OS in the sense that you mean it (i.e., bash, tcsh, etc. with accompanying utils).
Ellidi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drbobguy wrote:
Eh, the only kind of "command line interface" you can get on classic Mac OS is Open Firmware, and that's all done in FORTH. There is no command line in classic Mac OS in the sense that you mean it (i.e., bash, tcsh, etc. with accompanying utils).
And how do you know in what sense I meant it? For all you care I could be talking about the moon..

And it's still a CLI isn't it ?
hook
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

combine the LPP kernel patch, bootsplash and your favourite *DM (i prefere GDM) and you've pretty much got what you want

well, if you want it the hard-core way (i don't recomend it though), you can still remove all tty in your /etc/inittab and make it drop directly into X

(deep inside i'm still a tux's little helper)
geoaxis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 11:15 pm    Post subject: can we turn the ttys on and off through boot command line Reply with quote

can we turn the ttys on and off through boot commandline ?
i know that tty can be redirected .
just wondering if total switch is possible

on another note GUI and CLI both have goods and bads. u can have a full CLI in a GUI environment but not a full GUI (drag and drop in framebuffer ??) in CLI.i think CLI will never die . It will evolve :)

geoaxis
UclaBob
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always make sure to have LCI and GUI equilvants for pretty much anything I would ever want to do. Its annoying switching into different enviornments just to do one thing.

Bob
robmoss
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll never kill the command line off, because you can't do everything in a GUI that you can do in bash. But if you just want the computer to be used for "traditional" things like word processing, web browsing etc., then it's really quite easy.

emerge -U will kill your Gentoo
ecatmur, Lord of Portage Bash Scripts
placeholder
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to do it by having the bootsplash come up on silent mode and then have it start GDM right away. Even then, I used the terminal often. Now adays though I start it up in verbose mode and use startx and a well-configured .xinitrc file to get everything going. ;) I think it just looks cooler that way. lol
geoaxis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

handsomepete : console=ttyS1 CONSOLE=ttyS1 are they 2 differnt things?

Pwnz3r: can we see ur .xinitrc. I just wanto to have a setup where i dont see the console screen ever. (No particular advantage of that but still) .

i was planning some thing like this

if i put the same image as of my desktop to silent bootsplash it would look like that after i pressed linux in grub it straight away jumps in X (we all know its not X but framebuffer ..)...and then it would just show a nice progress bar and go into X. it would be awsome if there is no flikkering in between ..(but i dont know if its possible)

my problem is thta i am using xdm and it still shows some boot info when i am switching to X from frame buffer.i did the console=tty6 thing and tried to disable console1 from inittab but it still has some stuff there,all hardware detetcion.How can i redirect or suppress that?

Besides that i cannot use bootsplash for 1024x480 cause that fb thing got discontinued after kernel 2.4.17 :( ... i am planning to do write my own modules .any one else interested in ATY modules rewrite for frame buffer (just a thought)

geoaxis
placeholder
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

geoaxis wrote:
Pwnz3r: can we see ur .xinitrc. I just wanto to have a setup where i dont see the console screen ever. (No particular advantage of that but still) .

The .xinitrc file is only used for defining what programs and WM to launch at the start of the X server. Nothing more or less. :wink:
Cossins
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well,
Code:
$ cat filename | sed s/Hello/Hi/g > filename

is certainly much faster than fireing up a GUI editor and doing a "search and replace". The downside is that it's very unintuitive.

But efficient, nevertheless.

- Simon
wilburpan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Death of the true Command Line Reply with quote

Cossins wrote:
I was just wondering: Would it be possible to configure a Linux system to be completely without a command line? I don't mean to ban the command line totally, just hiding it the way MacOS X does it, bringing users directly into X as soon as they've selected Linux from the Grub-menu...

On my computer, after selecting Linux from the Grub menu, the dmesg/init scripts roll by, and since I did
Code:
rc-update add xdm default

at some time in the past, X and then kdm start up without any additional intervention. Is this what you're looking for?
slarti`
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cossins wrote:
Code:
$ cat filename | sed s/Hello/Hi/g > filename

That reminds me of cat bar | grep 'foo' :)

You can do sed <scripty-bit> <file-to-operate-on>.

Anyway, I use the CLI almost exclusively. I have Ion3, and it's brilliant. You start to see how floating windows and the WIMP design are intrinsically inefficient. I now struggle to do anything with floating windows at all.

Non-graphical applications place a greater emphasis on good design rather than looking pretty - mutt and irssi come to mind. ZSH also helps loads. I admit, KDE tempts me sometimes though ;)

Also, for some doubters, there is a text mode window manager, even with support for svgalib and some other stuff so you can have graphical window borders and things.

And, in my opinion, the ultimate font for general use inside a terminal is bleed. It's included in media-fonts/lfpfonts-fix. It's clear, readable, supports lovely ANSI characters so I can get pretty lines et al, and it just generally works. Proggy looks nice but doesn't do ANSI extended characters so I'm not such a fan. Still, it was designed to write C and C++ code in.

Now, I wonder if I've meandered far enough OT...
gnuageux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With enough configuration sure. But I think that a good majority of the linux community uses linux b/c they love the cmd line. Boot to runlevel5 then use one of the more full featured wm's, I dont know that you'd need to open a shell at all.

Registered Linux user#364538
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: