Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Zope (and Plone) for Gentoo online community
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you want to migrate Gentoo web site to Zope?
Yes, and I want to take a part (dev, adm, QA, consult)
31%
 31%  [ 9 ]
Yes, but I don't have time
17%
 17%  [ 5 ]
No, I am for PHP/Perl/Java etc
27%
 27%  [ 8 ]
Don't know, don't care
24%
 24%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 29

axxackall
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 3:35 pm    Post subject: Zope (and Plone) for Gentoo online community Reply with quote

Gentoo's best peace of art is Portage, which is written on Python. I guess that may let me to consider Gentoo community as a Python-centric one.

Why Gentoo web site is not done with Zope, the best content and community management technology, which is also the best Python application? Forums are PHP-based, the main site I heard is Perl based. Why?

Why not use Zope (especially with its best product Plone) and thus having the most customizable system? Why not let people to leave comments (paragaph or page bound) and thus to participate in content development of the site? Why not integrate issue tracking with forums and news (see: CMFCollectorNG)? Why not have both thread and board based forums (see Squishdot and fcForum)? Why not have portal member folders where regular mortals (not only core team developers) can host their software projects (aka Sourceforge)?

If you have a lack of free Zope hands for it then I for one is ready to devote as much time as I can to help migrating Gentoo web site to Zope. And I call for everyone who knows (and thus loves) Zope to stand up and say so, if you agree to help somehow with it.

Examples: Zope. Plone, new Zope site, Squishdot, downloads.
:idea:
nephros
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 3:58 pm    Post subject: Worth the effort? Reply with quote

I don't know squat about the Gentoo Homepage internals, or its complexity, but IMO the things on it right now are pretty straight-forward, and not a lot of dynamic content.

So would it be worth the effort?
What would be the gains?
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see us moving towards more dynamic content any time soon. I, for one, am strongly against any such move. The way our current system works now is very effective and very scalable. Since it's all static content (well, static XML which gets transformed to HTML on the fly) scaling www.gentoo.org is as simple as adding a new server into the DNS round robin. No need to worry about mysql as a bottleneck and/or single point of failure.

Zope is cool. Plone is cool. But that doesn't mean we need to/should use them. IMO, it doesn't give us anything we *need* that our current system doesn't already offer. It also introduces several problems and drawbacks into our system that are not currently there.

--kurt
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Zope (and Plone) for Gentoo online community Reply with quote

axxackall wrote:
Forums are PHP-based, the main site I heard is Perl based. Why?

Forums are PHP based because that's what phpBB is written in.

The main site is dependent on AxKit, which is perl-based, but is also highly scalable. A single dual-PII400 shook off the slashdot effect like it was nothing. Show me *any* dynamic CMS that can achieve the same results. (hint: there isn't one)

--kurt
StrCrssd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 6:44 pm    Post subject: Plone Reply with quote

I like the idea of moving to a plone-like system, putting everything under one roof....

Figure out some way to wiki-fy the howto documents, move the forums into plone (I'm sure there's a module for it), possibly split the forums into a bug-tracker that the community deals with (for help and suggestions) and a true forum for chat and such...

I think it would be an excellent idea.

Give a man enough rope, he'll hang himself. Teach a man to make rope, he'll hang other people.
carl
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 2:48 am    Post subject: Re: Plone Reply with quote

StrCrssd wrote:
Figure out some way to wiki-fy the howto documents ...

8O

As a member of the Documentation Team, I'm opposed to that. One of the things that scares a lot of people off from trying Gentoo is the idea that it's complicated to use or install. As long as we have a core group of people who are working on the docs, we can ensure consistency across groupings of topics and a high level of quality.

And honestly, we already have a "Wiki-fied" documentation section: the forums.
carl
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 2:51 am    Post subject: Re: Zope (and Plone) for Gentoo online community Reply with quote

klieber wrote:
axxackall wrote:
Forums are PHP-based, the main site I heard is Perl based. Why?

Forums are PHP based because that's what phpBB is written in.

The main site is dependent on AxKit, which is perl-based, but is also highly scalable. A single dual-PII400 shook off the slashdot effect like it was nothing. Show me *any* dynamic CMS that can achieve the same results. (hint: there isn't one)

Kurt raises some excellent points, and I find myself in total agreement.

While I'm currently considering going with Plone for my office Web site (I need something that will enable secretaries to update the site when I graduate), and while I'm a proponent of "that's cool--let's use it!", I don't think all that applies here. If it ain't broke, do not undertake endeavours to repair the presumed non-functioning device.
panserg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems PHPBB has many problems with MySQL today on Gentoo forums. That just proves one more time that the current installation is not perfect and can be easily broken. Although, after my own experience with PHP/MySQL applications, I keep thinking that the problem is in technology, not in particular hands handling it.

I think I'll begin prototyping of new Gentoo side next weekend or so. Any zope/plone volonteers to help?
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

panserg wrote:
Seems PHPBB has many problems with MySQL today on Gentoo forums. That just proves one more time that the current installation is not perfect and can be easily broken.

No, the problem is in the fact that the server is *very* overloaded at the moment. Frankly, I'm amazed that it's held up as well as it has.

We do have the new hardware in place for a new forums server -- it should be up and running RSN.

panserg wrote:
I think I'll begin prototyping of new Gentoo side next weekend or so. Any zope/plone volonteers to help?

Feel free. However, I have no interest in migrating away from phpBB and/or MySQL as our platform of choice for the Gentoo Forums. Just to set your expectations appropriately.

--kurt
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: