Lockup during partition check
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zoyd_wheeler
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 8:41 pm    Post subject: Lockup during partition check Reply with quote

I've moved a gentoo installation to a new disk, using dump/restore, and also installed XP on this disk. XP boots ok, but gentoo hangs during Partition Check, showing the devicepath of the new disk.
Booting from the Installation CD produces the same behaviour( i e it hangs when trying to verify the partitions on the disk)., However, if I move the disk from the primary IDE (which is only UDMA33) to a promisecard I have attached (UDMA100) I can boot, and have no problems accessing / mounting the disk.
I fail too se why it hangs. fstab on the new disk has been changed according to the new ("coming-after-boot") configuration ( the new disk is supposed to be master on primary IDE chnl, and promiscard and old disks move to another box )
I use a floppy with grub to boot. If windows wouldnt boot, I´d understand if it was a problem with hardware, but BIOS finds all disks and has no complaints, and windows boots. Gentoo, however, do not.
Anyone know what gentoo actually does when performing partition check?
(Im starting to suspect that the linux drivers for the ALI15X3 chipset I have on my motherboard can't handle UDMA100 disks)
MerlinTheWizard
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 8:50 pm    Post subject: well, this is most likely Reply with quote

a driver problem - since it works fine on your promise adapter.

I don't know much about your chipset though. If someone has any experience with this and can help you... meanwhile, I think you could try to disable UDMA or at least force it to "lower" than UDMA 5, and see if that helps.
zoyd_wheeler
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gigabyte 5AX motherboard I run don´t have any way to do this. I think I´ll give it up and just buy another ide adapter. Been wasting way to much time on this... Irritates me that windows makes it, and gentoo doesn´t, tho...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: