Official Package Repository, WHY NOT?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bicyus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:19 am    Post subject: Official Package Repository, WHY NOT? Reply with quote

Hi everyone.

I've been using gentoo for last 3 years, feeling the power off Portage, but along this time, the idea off an official Packages Repository has grown, up to the level, that i am thinking, to move to ubuntu.

In my opinion, gentoo, is better distribution than ubuntu (or others with binary packages)(I don't want to flame), but a "crash" in my HD, have forced me to install one "quick" distribution, to continue working.

Because off this, I would like to know, if there is any, project to create a binary repositorys; and to encourage "DEVELOPERS" in gentoo to think about it.

I know that one of the problems to make binarys is, wich USE Flags, are going to use, but, how does it made in other flavours?

I think many people moving to others distributios because of this. (some people i know, at least), and if finally I move to Ubuntu, I will go with a felling of i am leaving my favorite Linux.

BYE and sorry for my english I'm spanish.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:12 am    Post subject: Re: Official Package Repository, WHY NOT? Reply with quote

bicyus wrote:
Hi everyone.

I've been using gentoo for last 3 years, feeling the power off Portage, but along this time, the idea off an official Packages Repository has grown, up to the level, that i am thinking, to move to ubuntu.

In my opinion, gentoo, is better distribution than ubuntu (or others with binary packages)(I don't want to flame), but a "crash" in my HD, have forced me to install one "quick" distribution, to continue working.

The same old topic. If the box is important, really important, people usually do backups. Besides that, you can:

1.- Make a stage4 livecd to reinstall your system in a breeze, or
2.- Use FEATURES="buildpkg" to automatically save binary packages of every single package that you merge.
3.- Any other ideas that people around can surely expose :P

Having those binary packages you can install gentoo in a few minutes, faster than any other distro, because you will not have to configure much stuff since you already know what to configure -and you probably have a backup of the important config files at least, don't you? ;)

Having binary packages available would be cool, but, to be realistic, gentoo is supported in plenty of archs, and the possible combinations -taking into account USE flags- are just zillions. You could use the generic aproach that other distros use. Just enable USE="*" and you will get a megadistro :twisted:

Of course, that will make apache depends on xmms and probably some ethiopian and kanji font packages as well (just joking, of course). But jokes appart, you will need a big hd to use that approach since USE flags are not magic switches, they DO ADD DEPENDENCIES, would you like gentoo that way better?

There are already very good binary distros out there, no need to replicate that. From my point of view, Gentoo cannot afford -nor it has devs to- maintain such a huge variety of branches.
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Official Package Repository, WHY NOT? Reply with quote

bicyus wrote:
Hi everyone.

Because off this, I would like to know, if there is any, project to create a binary repositorys; and to encourage "DEVELOPERS" in gentoo to think about it.

I know that one of the problems to make binarys is, wich USE Flags, are going to use, but, how does it made in other flavours?

I think many people moving to others distributios because of this. (some people i know, at least), and if finally I move to Ubuntu, I will go with a felling of i am leaving my favorite Linux.

BYE and sorry for my english I'm spanish.

You really should read the existing threads on binary repo support, for example (in no particular order)
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-335004-highlight-binary.html
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=76288
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-120625-postdays-0-postorder-asc-highlight-binhost-start-0.html
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-47854-postdays-0-postorder-asc-highlight-binhostbinary+official-start-0.html
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-78643-postdays-0-postorder-asc-highlight-bittorent-start-0.html
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/43930/focus=43944
mark_alec
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Portage & Programming to Duplicate Threads.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: