Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Logging in as root from liveCD / Command line FTP?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bobly
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject: Logging in as root from liveCD / Command line FTP? Reply with quote

Okay here's the deal.
My XP is seriously corrupt and won't boot so I need to access my files from a linux liveCD to back them up before I can format.
Except... I don't have a clue how to use Linux.

So far, I have managed to find the disk with fdisk, make a temporary folder and mount the disk to that folder...
But the folder I make is locked, it says I have to be logged in as root to access it...
Now I can acces the folder with the command line but I need to FTP this file to another computer and I don't know how to ftp things via command line...
Any advice/help?
opentaka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:

sudo su -

Bobly
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay let me amend to this.

To upload to FTP I thought of using the Firefox Extension fireFTP (multi-platform, GUI, only requires Firefox, perfect).

If I do the following in the terminal it doesn't work:

Code:
cd Desktop
mkdir C
sudo su
modprobe ntfs
mount /dev/sda1 /home/gentoo/Desktop/C

All the console commands work and the file is loaded. Through the console, after typing sudo su, I can view the files and do whatever with them...

However, my problem is this. I am running Gentoo from a liveCD so in RAM memory, limiting every file I work with to the amount of RAM minus what I've already used. Thus I cannot transfer big folders if I first copy them to Gentoo and then upload them to FTP (I'm uploading over a home network so size is not a matter).

If I do the above method, go to Desktop, and try to open C, it is locked, because even though C was created by the basic gentoo liveCD logon, it was mounted by root.

How can I disable access restrictions to a folder via the console so that fireFTP can access the folder and upload the files somewhere?
gust334
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobly wrote:
How can I disable access restrictions to a folder via the console so that fireFTP can access the folder and upload the files somewhere?

Disclaimer: I'm a complete noob...

According to 'man mount', the default behavior when mounting NTFS is to make it readable by root only.

Have you tried:

Code:
mount -t ntfs -umask 000 /dev/sda1 /home/gentoo/Desktop/C
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: