VIDEO suport for GIMP
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gessy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: VIDEO suport for GIMP Reply with quote

How can i install gimp with video support?

Gimp has support for mpeg encode (mpeg 1 e mpeg 2) but it doesn't appear on gentoo ( I don't saw frags for video encode for gimp)
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No gimp guru, but I think that you need GAP, the Gimp Animation Package, that is not in portage. I seems that there is a bug about that in bugzilla, but I have no idea on how updated the attached ebuilds are, since I never used GAP myself.

https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=40023
FishB8
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you should also be aware that it doesn't work with mpeg files directly. It only works on image sequences (it is an image editor after all, not a video editor) The mpeg is just for final output, and there are other programs out there that can take an image sequence and produce a much higher quality mpeg encoding than you will get directly from gimp.
"...as we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously." -Benjamin Franklin
yabbadabbadont
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FishB8 wrote:
you should also be aware that it doesn't work with mpeg files directly. It only works on image sequences (it is an image editor after all, not a video editor) The mpeg is just for final output, and there are other programs out there that can take an image sequence and produce a much higher quality mpeg encoding than you will get directly from gimp.

Would cinepaint be one of them? (really curious and not being facetious)
FishB8
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Would cinepaint be one of them?

No, cinepaint and the GAP plugins serve a similar type of functionality. And I'm not even sure that cinepaint has any mpeg support at all. (not sure about that though, haven't used it in a long time)

GAP has the advantage of being more advanced. It has some functionality that is very similar to some of the compositing features found in AfterEffects. It's a really great add on.

Cinepaints advantage is that it supports 16 bit and 32 bit float color depths whereas GAP is restricted to GIMP's 8 bit color depth. That's why several professional film houses have used cinepaint for things like wire removal and touchup work. It has the color depth needed in film work. If you are working with video from a video camera though, you can do fine with GAP because digital video actually has less than 8 bit color depth because of the chroma subsampling schemes used. So you don't loose anything.

Either way, if you want to take an image sequence that you've edited with either GAP or Cinepaint, you can encode them into just about anything with tools like transcode or mencoder. They will both take image sequences and encode them to video. They can also do the reverse and decode video into image sequences. There's probabyl others as well. I've used Blender for this type of thing several times, especially when doing compositing at the same time.
"...as we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously." -Benjamin Franklin
yabbadabbadont
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the complete answer. I installed cinepaint because I wanted to mess around with creating HDR images using my plain old Nikon Coolpix 4300. (It can be done, but it is painful)
FishB8
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Digital cameras don't really offer much in high resolution. The sensors on digital cameras only offer 12 bit resolution, and the color is interpolated. (There are a couple cameras that offer special chips that are layered to produce full color resolution for each channel, but there are only a couple of those)

The best you can hope to do with a digital camera is take raw photos and process them with ufraw. You won't really loose much if you save from ufraw into a standard 8bit/channel image because you can do all the color correction in 16bit mode within ufraw. (color correction is usually where you loose the most information within an 8bit/channel image)

If you really want to get into HDR images and have money to burn, get a medium format film camera (the manual one's are cheap and really fun to use) and a professional film scanner that can handle medium format film (not cheap at all).
yabbadabbadont
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://graphics.stanford.edu/~mhouston/school/digital-photo/

Like I said, it can be done, it's just painful to do it. :D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: