"tiny" gentoo [SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
corey_s
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:00 am    Post subject: "tiny" gentoo [SOLVED] Reply with quote

UPDATE: Totally brain dead post. I found what I was looking for here:

http://gentoo-wiki.com/Embedded_Gentoo

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_build_a_LiveCD_from_scratch

Best to move on, nothing to see here. (c8=

Hey all!

Just for my own benefit and fun, I'm planning on embarking on a bit of an experimental lark.

I'd like to try and create my own, personal customized gentoo with an aim towards making the whole system as small as possible, similar to an embedded environment.

How would I go about creating a "tiny", "super minimal" gentoo system?

I'd like to replace glibc with uclibc, for instance. I want to use busybox in place of the standard system utilities. I would additionally like to par down the existing core gentoo userland to as minimal a footprint as possible - which would mean identifying and removing or replacing quite a few packages, I'm sure.

I'm guessing I'd be starting from a stage1, and would need to edit some number of scripts/files and whatnot - could you point me in the right direction regarding documentation and/or resources that would help me begin this process properly?

Eventually, once I'm satisfied with the system I've devised, I would want to create a LiveCD for it so that I could easily install this on other machines.

Many thanks for any and all clues!

Last edited by corey_s on Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:25 am; edited 1 time in total
corey_s
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm thinking I posted way too soon - sorry for the noise - looks like in the few minutes after posting, I've already found some similar posts and information regarding the same basic thing I was hoping to achieve.

I think the main theme of my post is still applicable though, i.e.: where do I find resources detailing how to create a custom gentoo environment?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: