Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Samba WINS multisubnet. How do you do yours?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
humbletech99
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:52 pm    Post subject: Samba WINS multisubnet. How do you do yours? Reply with quote

I have multiple subnets which rely on being able to find each other by netbios names for filesharing etc. This requires them having a wins server which I have on samba on one of my gentoo servers.

All hosts on all subnets have this set as their wins server and this works. As far as I know, samba doesn't know how to do multiple wins servers for redundancy or to contain the requests to the server on your local subnet.

Does anybody have a multi-subnet wins system going? Do you use the microsoft wins server which I'm sure does multiple servers, or do you use samba and if so what setup do you have?

value(geeks) > value(mundanes)
GoofballJM1
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At work I have a Windows 2003 server set up as a WINS server. I have 5 other locations connecting through a VPN tunnel. WINS works great. I typically have to enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP in order for the NetBIOS traffic to forward to the other subnets. I can remotely access 60 other machines this way without incident. Each location has their own DHCP server. The DHCP server (linksys router) has the ability to add a WINS server into its settings, so when the Windows machine receives an IP it also receives a WINS machine in addition to the DNS, gateway and other information.
humbletech99
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so you're saying you have 1 Windows 2K3 Wins server and all 5 subnets connect to that one server?

This is what I have at the moment except my Wins server is running on Samba. I was considering giving another subnet their own wins server so they can query it locally which would be more efficient that the request going over the vpn.

value(geeks) > value(mundanes)
GoofballJM1
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never set up a WINS server using Samba, but I imagine it would be a similar situation. The WINS server will accept all requests (whether they are in the subnet or not), as long as the client machines are told to look to the server for NetBIOS lookups.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: