HOWTO: MPlayer with VESA Support
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Motoi-Sakuraba-Milfeuille
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:19 am    Post subject: HOWTO: MPlayer with VESA Support Reply with quote

I just spent an entire weekend figuring this out. Once you know the solution, it's pretty easy.
Well, all of you might miss the good old days of MPlayer 1.0pre7, where VESA support worked. Now, it's different. pre8 and rc1 don't give you VESA support at all... what gives?

VESA in the new MPlayers requires some sort of new library. First, make sure you have LRMI installed (run 'emerge lrmi').
Next, find the MPlayer pre8 changelog, where it says that all VESA stuff has been put into this thing called vesautils, i.e. we need vesautils for VESA output to work again. Sigh. There is no ebuild for this... the closest thing Portage has is vbetool, which, as you can see, comes with what we're downloading.

Install subversion, a newer type of CVS. Then run:
svn checkout svn://svn.mplayerhq.hu/vesautils/trunk vesautils

Now you have a directory in your current directory called 'vesautils'. Change directory into './vesautils/libvbe'. This provides the .so files which MPlayer is looking for (does anybody know what the libvbe.a file does? it certainly does not provide -lvbe)

Run make && make install. Sample output:
Code:
vbe.c:217: warning: 'print_str' defined but not used
vbe.c:227: warning: 'print_wrd' defined but not used
ar -rs libvbe.a vbe.o
ar: creating libvbe.a
cc -c -g -Wall -fPIC -o vbe.lo vbe.c
vbe.c: In function 'vbeGetControllerInfo':
vbe.c:255: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 1 of 'check_str' differ in signedness
vbe.c:283: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 1 of 'check_str' differ in signedness
vbe.c:295: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 1 of 'check_str' differ in signedness
vbe.c:307: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 1 of 'check_str' differ in signedness
vbe.c: At top level:
vbe.c:217: warning: 'print_str' defined but not used
vbe.c:227: warning: 'print_wrd' defined but not used
cc -g -Wall -Wl,-soname,libvbe.so.0 -fPIC -shared -o libvbe.so.0.2 vbe.lo
ln -sf libvbe.so.0.2 libvbe.so.0
ln -sf libvbe.so.0 libvbe.so

Now that you've run 'make install', emerge mplayer, or run ./configure, and you will have VESA support! Hooray! It's just as fast as before.

Why don't I just use -vo fbdev, you ask? (it's just as fast, right?) well.. I really don't know now. But I'm sure they're still not the same. VESA for life.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: