Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[HOWTO]New freetype subpixel font rendering for lcd monitors
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 28, 29, 30  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
albright
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 16 Nov 2003
Posts: 2061
Location: Near Toronto

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry if this has already been mentioned (the thread is too
long for me look through the whole thing :) ) but it is very
important to get the proper dpi for your monitor.

My fonts were ok after following this guide, but I noticed that
my nvidia card set the dpi at 96x95; changing display size
in xorg.conf (dropping the width number by 1 in the DisplaySize
paramter in the Monitor section) so that dpi became the
proper 96x96 made a HUGE difference to the quality of the
fonts (I guess being just one pixel off makes a big difference
to subpixel rendering).

Anyway, I thought I'd mention it as worth checking ...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
boniek
Guru
Guru


Joined: 26 Mar 2005
Posts: 373

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

albright wrote:
Sorry if this has already been mentioned (the thread is too
long for me look through the whole thing :) ) but it is very
important to get the proper dpi for your monitor.

My fonts were ok after following this guide, but I noticed that
my nvidia card set the dpi at 96x95; changing display size
in xorg.conf (dropping the width number by 1 in the DisplaySize
paramter in the Monitor section) so that dpi became the
proper 96x96 made a HUGE difference to the quality of the
fonts (I guess being just one pixel off makes a big difference
to subpixel rendering).

Anyway, I thought I'd mention it as worth checking ...

Thanks :) I have 96x96 already and didn't think of that issue before. I will add this info to the guide later.
EDIT: when changing to 85 dpi my fonts look still good so I don't think that DPI has anything to do with how fonts like except maybe their size :)
_________________
[HOWTO]New freetype subpixel font rendering for lcd monitors


Last edited by boniek on Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:10 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
prymitive
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 13 Jun 2004
Posts: 260

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:32 pm    Post subject: big fonts Reply with quote

Hi,

I tried this ebuild (from xeffects overlay) but my fonts are now bigger than before, does anyone have this problem?

my freetype 2.1.10-r2 http://pcserwis.net/img/freetype-2.1.10.png
freetype 2.3.1_20070207 http://pcserwis.net/img/freetype-2.3.1_20070207.png

It seems that all freetype verions starting with 2.2 make my fonts looks bigger than with 2.1.10.

local.conf
Code:
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
<fontconfig>
        <!-- Info at http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Xorg_and_Fonts -->

        <!-- Replace Courier with a better-looking font -->
        <match target="pattern" name="family">
                <test name="family" qual="any">
                        <string>Courier</string>
                </test>
                <edit name="family" mode="assign">
                        <string>Lucida Grande</string>
                </edit>
        </match>

        <match target="font">
                <edit name="rgba" mode="assign">
                        <const>rgb</const>
                </edit>
                <edit name="autohint" mode="assign">
                        <bool>true</bool>
                </edit>
                <edit name="antialias" mode="assign">
                        <bool>true</bool>
                </edit>
                <edit name="hinting" mode="assign">
                        <bool>true</bool>
                </edit>
                <edit name="hintstyle" mode="assign">
                        <const>hintfull</const>
                </edit>
        </match>

        <!-- Disable autohint for bold fonts, otherwise they look *too* bold -->
        <match target="font">
                <test name="weight" compare="more">
                        <const>medium</const>
                </test>
                <edit name="autohint" mode="assign">
                        <bool>false</bool>
                </edit>
        </match>

        <!-- Reject bitmap fonts in favour of Truetype, Postscript, etc. -->
        <selectfont>
                <rejectfont>
                        <pattern>
                                <patelt name="scalable">
                                        <bool>false</bool>
                                </patelt>
                        </pattern>
                </rejectfont>
        </selectfont>

</fontconfig>
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
IvanMajhen
Guru
Guru


Joined: 10 Jun 2006
Posts: 385
Location: Croatia

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

albright wrote:
Sorry if this has already been mentioned (the thread is too
long for me look through the whole thing :) ) but it is very
important to get the proper dpi for your monitor.

My fonts were ok after following this guide, but I noticed that
my nvidia card set the dpi at 96x95; changing display size
in xorg.conf (dropping the width number by 1 in the DisplaySize
paramter in the Monitor section) so that dpi became the
proper 96x96 made a HUGE difference to the quality of the
fonts (I guess being just one pixel off makes a big difference
to subpixel rendering).

Anyway, I thought I'd mention it as worth checking ...

What resolution are you using?
I have 1280x800 and detected dpi is 98x96. My fonts are looking great. Also tried 96x96 but i don't see any difference. I think that detected dpi is good, since it is widescreen.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
boniek
Guru
Guru


Joined: 26 Mar 2005
Posts: 373

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: big fonts Reply with quote

prymitive wrote:
...

Read and follow the guide carefully. Come back when you do!
_________________
[HOWTO]New freetype subpixel font rendering for lcd monitors
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
na641
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 27 Jun 2002
Posts: 168
Location: Sacramento

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the newest versions seem to be improving! Ive noticed much better font rendering, especially windows vista fonts (consolas, cambria, etc.) which previously really sucked.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
albright
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 16 Nov 2003
Posts: 2061
Location: Near Toronto

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What resolution are you using?
I have 1280x800 and detected dpi is 98x96. My fonts are looking great. Also tried 96x96 but i don't see any difference. I think that detected dpi is good, since it is widescreen.


My res is (under twinview) 2560x1024 (really two 1280x1024). I *think*
I noticed a real difference, but this area is rife with subjectivity I must
admit :) Especially improved were the color fringes that subpixel rendering
induces sometimes. Now the only bad character for me is the "=" sign
in some apps ...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
prymitive
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 13 Jun 2004
Posts: 260

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: big fonts Reply with quote

boniek wrote:
prymitive wrote:
...

Read and follow the guide carefully. Come back when you do!


Code:
acer prymitive # emerge -1pv libXft freetype

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R   ] x11-libs/libXft-2.1.12  USE="newspr -debug" 0 kB [2]
[ebuild   R   ] media-libs/freetype-2.3.2  USE="zlib -bindist -doc" 0 kB [2]

Total: 2 packages (2 reinstalls), Size of downloads: 0 kB
Portage overlays:
 [1] /usr/portage/local/layman/sunrise
 [2] /usr/portage/local/layman/xeffects
 [3] /usr/local/overlays/kadu
 [4] /usr/local/overlays/local


I've did all howto steps, results are the same, my Lucida Grande UI font is bigger than before.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
na641
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 27 Jun 2002
Posts: 168
Location: Sacramento

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed some trends with this font rendering method. With non native fonts (particularly vista and osx fonts), a majority of the time they are rendered HORRIBLY. With full hinting turned on, HandelgotD, Lucida Grande, Calibri, etc. are completely messed up. Sometimes they are rendered very strongly (bold) when they are set to 'normal' weight for some odd reason. Sometimes when set to a 'light' version of the font, they are so light that they don't even render fully (parts of the fonts lines will be missing). Sometimes they are rendered are strange heights. I have my theories, but i believe these issues are due to the fact that these fonts were designed with cleartype anti-aliasing in mind (especially the vista fonts), which is throwing off the new truetype renderer.

In an earlier post i stated that my fonts (which at the time were comprised of those listed above) looked best with slight hinting, and i believe this is why. The hinting isn't as extreme, so the effect is minimal. I still have my hinting set to slight, which is what i personally would recommend for those using fonts akin to the ones ive listed.

I will say however, that as each new version of freetype and related packages are released more and more of these issues are being corrected. My favorite console font, Consolas (from vista), renders absolutely beautiful now with full hinting turned on, whereas previously it was one of the worst examples of not so nice rendering. Very nice to see tangible differences with each new release. Can't wait for the next one.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ehud
n00b
n00b


Joined: 15 May 2004
Posts: 69
Location: Tel Aviv

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: big fonts Reply with quote

prymitive wrote:
Hi,

I tried this ebuild (from xeffects overlay) but my fonts are now bigger than before, does anyone have this problem?

my freetype 2.1.10-r2 http://pcserwis.net/img/freetype-2.1.10.png
freetype 2.3.1_20070207 http://pcserwis.net/img/freetype-2.3.1_20070207.png

It seems that all freetype verions starting with 2.2 make my fonts looks bigger than with 2.1.10.


Same problem here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
na641
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 27 Jun 2002
Posts: 168
Location: Sacramento

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: big fonts Reply with quote

prymitive wrote:
boniek wrote:
prymitive wrote:
...

Read and follow the guide carefully. Come back when you do!


Code:
acer prymitive # emerge -1pv libXft freetype

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R   ] x11-libs/libXft-2.1.12  USE="newspr -debug" 0 kB [2]
[ebuild   R   ] media-libs/freetype-2.3.2  USE="zlib -bindist -doc" 0 kB [2]

Total: 2 packages (2 reinstalls), Size of downloads: 0 kB
Portage overlays:
 [1] /usr/portage/local/layman/sunrise
 [2] /usr/portage/local/layman/xeffects
 [3] /usr/local/overlays/kadu
 [4] /usr/local/overlays/local


I've did all howto steps, results are the same, my Lucida Grande UI font is bigger than before.


You didn't follow all the steps. your local.conf isn't right. also, your lucida grande ui is going to be larger even when you fix your local.conf
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
prymitive
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 13 Jun 2004
Posts: 260

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: big fonts Reply with quote

na641 wrote:
prymitive wrote:
boniek wrote:
prymitive wrote:
...

Read and follow the guide carefully. Come back when you do!


Code:
acer prymitive # emerge -1pv libXft freetype

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R   ] x11-libs/libXft-2.1.12  USE="newspr -debug" 0 kB [2]
[ebuild   R   ] media-libs/freetype-2.3.2  USE="zlib -bindist -doc" 0 kB [2]

Total: 2 packages (2 reinstalls), Size of downloads: 0 kB
Portage overlays:
 [1] /usr/portage/local/layman/sunrise
 [2] /usr/portage/local/layman/xeffects
 [3] /usr/local/overlays/kadu
 [4] /usr/local/overlays/local


I've did all howto steps, results are the same, my Lucida Grande UI font is bigger than before.


You didn't follow all the steps. your local.conf isn't right. also, your lucida grande ui is going to be larger even when you fix your local.conf


I have local.conf with those settings. So there is no fix for that? I can set my font to size 8 (now 9) but then i will be smaller, I just want it to look like it rigth now.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BRPXQZME
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 23 Mar 2006
Posts: 163
Location: Centreville, VA

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IvanMajhen wrote:
I have 1280x800 and detected dpi is 98x96. My fonts are looking great. Also tried 96x96 but i don't see any difference. I think that detected dpi is good, since it is widescreen.
I'm thinking it's not the one dimension being off so much as the dimensions being mismatched and improper (perhaps the font was not designed to look good at 95 dpi?).

I've been using this for a few days now, and after chucking most of my bitmap fonts (actually, almost all of them) I have almost everything looking pretty nicely antialiased. I also changed the main fonts from Bitstream Vera to DejaVu (the hinting is better on certain bits). I did have trouble with certain sizes of a certain font at 98x98 dpi, so I added a section to .fonts.conf that forced autohinting.
Code:
<!-- This font looks awful at certain sizes -->
 <match target="font">
         <test name="family">
                 <string>Trebuchet MS</string>
         </test>
         <test name="pixelsize" compare="more_eq">
                 <double>12.5</double>
         </test>
         <test name="pixelsize" compare="less">
                 <double>16.5</double>
         </test>
         <edit name="autohint">
                 <bool>true</bool>
         </edit>
 </match>

Likewise, if bitmapped fonts tee you off when you're reading, say, Japanese, you can fix that by adding a rule that sets "embeddedbitmap" to false, so that the embedded bitmap in whatever font won't get used.

(Please update the ebuild to match the version number in portage! Thanks.)
_________________
Firefox is spelled F-i-r-e-f-o-x - only the first letter capitalized (i.e. not FireFox, not Foxfire, FoxFire or whatever else a number of folk seem to think it to be called.) The preferred abbreviation is "Fx" or "fx".

FF = Final Fantasy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
boniek
Guru
Guru


Joined: 26 Mar 2005
Posts: 373

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRPXQZME wrote:
(Please update the ebuild to match the version number in portage! Thanks.)

There is no need. You can and should use freetype from portage. Only thing you need from overlay is cairo and libXft with newspr use flag turned on.
As for fonts being bigger after enabling new subpixel rendering - I can do nothing about it. If it bothers you and you consider it a regression/bug, report it upstream.
_________________
[HOWTO]New freetype subpixel font rendering for lcd monitors
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GoofyX
n00b
n00b


Joined: 23 Feb 2005
Posts: 51
Location: Thessaloniki, Greece

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latest revision (583) from xeffects overlay has an updated ebuild for freetype, which fails to emerge because of digest error:

Code:
>>> Downloading 'http://manta.univ.gda.pl/~rbonieck/freetype-2.3.2_p20070330.tar.gz'
--00:09:40--  http://manta.univ.gda.pl/~rbonieck/freetype-2.3.2_p20070330.tar.gz
           => `/usr/portage/distfiles/freetype-2.3.2_p20070330.tar.gz'
Resolving manta.univ.gda.pl... 153.19.7.200
Connecting to manta.univ.gda.pl|153.19.7.200|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 1588243 (1.5M) [application/x-gzip]

100%[============================================================================>] 1588243      107.05K/s    ETA 00:00

00:09:55 (105.50 KB/s) - `/usr/portage/distfiles/freetype-2.3.2_p20070330.tar.gz' saved [1588243/1588243]

 * checking ebuild checksums ;-) ...                                                                              [ ok ]
 * checking auxfile checksums ;-) ...                                                                             [ ok ]
 * checking miscfile checksums ;-) ...                                                                            [ ok ]
 * checking freetype-2.3.2_p20070330.tar.gz ;-) ...                                                               [ !! ]

!!! Digest verification failed:
!!! /usr/portage/distfiles/freetype-2.3.2_p20070330.tar.gz
!!! Reason: Failed on RMD160 verification
!!! Got: 7ecc122583f21339d15f976f75b6903ea46e554c
!!! Expected: ead9ff98ceef3e7541206b760be07dfdbffcba84

_________________
... Morpheus: What is "real"? How do you define "real"? If you 're talking about what you can feel, what you can smell, what you can taste and see, then "real" is simply electrical signals interpreted by your brain...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
boniek
Guru
Guru


Joined: 26 Mar 2005
Posts: 373

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right. Sorry for that. Should be fixed in r585.
_________________
[HOWTO]New freetype subpixel font rendering for lcd monitors
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
depontius
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 05 May 2004
Posts: 2384

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just stumbled onto this thread while chasing down a locking problem with xcb, which I put on several systems yesterday. I've read the guide, and have a few thoughts:
boniek wrote:
All packages (revelant to this topic) are ~arch, and freetype is M~arch. Unmask freetype in /etc/portage/package.unmask and, if you are using stable tree, set appropriate keywords for corresponding packages in /etc/portage/package.keywords (more details about how to use portage is found here). Also remember to add
Code:
source /usr/portage/local/layman/make.conf

line at the end of your /etc/make.conf to make overlays added by layman visible to emerge.
deno wrote:
one more question. how to set smoothing mode to subpixel, hinting mode to medium or full and subpixel order to rgb?

In Gnome it is in System/Preferences/Font.

First, in the guide rather than simply setting the 3 packages to ~arch in /etc/portage/package.keywords, could you be more specific about the levels? For one thing, in my package.keywords I will install a ~arch to get a specific version to get a specific feature or bugfix, and as soon as that feature or bugfix is stable, I'd just as soon stay stable. So for instance I have a few lines from my package.keywords:
Code:
<net-fs/openafs-1.4.3 ~x86
<net-fs/openafs-kernel-1.4.3 ~x86
=app-portage/porthole-0.5.0 ~x86

I wanted the feature set of openafs-1.4.2 and was willing to go ~arch to get it. But once I had those features I'd rather stay stable. In fact I'm now running openafs-1.4.4, so I could and should remove these lines. For some reason I wanted exactly porthole-0.5.0, so I should really take a look at this. But whenever some later version of porthole goes stable, this line will become removable, as well.

In addition, there have been several people in this thread surprised by new ebuilds becoming available, upgrading, and disturbing their font tuning. By limiting ~arch to a specific range in package.keywords the "surprise effect" and loss of tuning can be reduced.

One other suggestion... To configure the font hinting once installation is done, you suggest either using a desktop applet or setting up $HOME/.fonts.conf. These changes can be made available system-wide for us non-GNOME, non-KDE folks using "/etc/fonts/local.font". (This is a little of The Gentoo Way, as the real file is "/etc/fonts/fonts.conf", which is auto-created.

Oh, I do run some overlays, but tend to try and minimize what I use from them, as well as trying to minimize use of ~arch. More overlays and more ~arch can make the wife, kids, and mother unhappy. On a work machine, stability is valued above all, but sometimes we still want/need a little ~arch even there.
_________________
.sigs waste space and bandwidth
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
boniek
Guru
Guru


Joined: 26 Mar 2005
Posts: 373

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

depontius wrote:

First, in the guide rather than simply setting the 3 packages to ~arch in /etc/portage/package.keywords, could you be more specific about the levels?

Levels? I don't understand what you mean by that here. All ~arch packages will stay that way. Cairo and libXft are patched by unofficial code so there is no way for them to ever become stable (proper way of doing all this newspr stuff in cairo is planned for cairo 1.6, dunno about libXft).
depontius wrote:

In addition, there have been several people in this thread surprised by new ebuilds becoming available, upgrading, and disturbing their font tuning. By limiting ~arch to a specific range in package.keywords the "surprise effect" and loss of tuning can be reduced.

Agreed. I will change guide and add info about masking higher version stuff than is currently available from overlay.
depontius wrote:

One other suggestion... To configure the font hinting once installation is done, you suggest either using a desktop applet or setting up $HOME/.fonts.conf. These changes can be made available system-wide for us non-GNOME, non-KDE folks using "/etc/fonts/local.font". (This is a little of The Gentoo Way, as the real file is "/etc/fonts/fonts.conf", which is auto-created.

You mean
Code:
 # cp ~/.fonts.conf /etc/fonts/local.font
?
depontius wrote:

Oh, I do run some overlays, but tend to try and minimize what I use from them, as well as trying to minimize use of ~arch. More overlays and more ~arch can make the wife, kids, and mother unhappy. On a work machine, stability is valued above all, but sometimes we still want/need a little ~arch even there.

All this stuff is as minimal as possible. Ebuilds are directly derived from the ones from official portage tree. That being said this is just a hack and as long it stays this way it may break things and it will never become stable.
_________________
[HOWTO]New freetype subpixel font rendering for lcd monitors
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
depontius
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 05 May 2004
Posts: 2384

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boniek wrote:
depontius wrote:

First, in the guide rather than simply setting the 3 packages to ~arch in /etc/portage/package.keywords, could you be more specific about the levels?

Levels? I don't understand what you mean by that here. All ~arch packages will stay that way. Cairo and libXft are patched by unofficial code so there is no way for them to ever become stable (proper way of doing all this newspr stuff in cairo is planned for cairo 1.6, dunno about libXft).

Here's what I have:
Code:
hostname ~ # emerge -pv freetype libXft cairo

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R   ] media-libs/freetype-2.1.10-r3  USE="zlib -bindist -doc" 1,023 kB
[ebuild   R   ] x11-libs/libXft-2.1.12  USE="-debug" 255 kB
[ebuild   R   ] x11-libs/cairo-1.2.6  USE="X svg -debug -directfb -doc -glitz" 2,904 kB

Total: 3 packages (3 reinstalls), Size of downloads: 4,182 kB

On the other hand, if I go for ~x86 I get:
Code:
hostname ~ # ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge -pv freetype libXft cairo

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild  N    ] x11-libs/xcb-util-0.2  USE="-debug" 250 kB
[ebuild     U ] media-libs/freetype-2.3.3 [2.1.10-r3] USE="zlib -bindist -debug% -doc" 1,417 kB
[ebuild   R   ] x11-libs/libXft-2.1.12  USE="-debug" 255 kB
[ebuild     U ] x11-libs/cairo-1.4.2 [1.2.6] USE="X svg xcb%* -debug -directfb -doc -glitz" 3,009 kB

Total: 4 packages (2 upgrades, 1 new, 1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 4,930 kB

Things jump several versions. To do your font work, do I really need the newest, or do I need something between the newest and what I've got now? (Or do I need an overlay because something just isn't in regular portage, at all?)
boniek wrote:
depontius wrote:

One other suggestion... To configure the font hinting once installation is done, you suggest either using a desktop applet or setting up $HOME/.fonts.conf. These changes can be made available system-wide for us non-GNOME, non-KDE folks using "/etc/fonts/local.font". (This is a little of The Gentoo Way, as the real file is "/etc/fonts/fonts.conf", which is auto-created.

You mean
Code:
 # cp ~/.fonts.conf /etc/fonts/local.font
?

Yes. A trivial point, but still useful, especially with someone not used to The Gentoo Way. If someone simply edited /etc/fonts/fonts.conf he/she might be surprised to find settings disappearing after a boot when local.font is used to regenerate fonts.conf. (Of course they'd deserve it for not reading the signs, "Do not edit by hand, this is auto-generated. Edit local.font instead," or something like that.)
_________________
.sigs waste space and bandwidth
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GoofyX
n00b
n00b


Joined: 23 Feb 2005
Posts: 51
Location: Thessaloniki, Greece

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, there's a glitch here. The official portage tree has qt-3.3.8-r2 as stable, though xeffects has it marked as testing.

Code:
eix -e qt
[I] x11-libs/qt
     Available versions: 
   (3)   3.3.4-r8 3.3.6-r4 ~3.3.6-r5 ~3.3.6-r5[1] ~3.3.8 ~3.3.8[1] ~3.3.8-r1 ~3.3.8-r1[1] 3.3.8-r2 ~3.3.8-r2[1]
   (4)   4.1.4-r2 4.2.2 ~4.2.3 4.2.3-r1
     Installed versions:  3.3.8-r2(3)(12:47:51 ìì 13/04/2007)(cups -debug -doc examples -firebird gif -immqt -immqt-bc -ipv6 mysql -nas -nis odbc opengl -postgres sqlite -xinerama)
           4.2.3-r1(4)(09:59:34 ìì 11/04/2007)(-accessibility cups dbus -debug -doc examples -firebird gif -glib -input_devices_wacom jpeg -mng mysql -nas -nis odbc opengl -pch png -postgres -qt3support sqlite -sqlite3 -xinerama zlib)
     Homepage:            http://www.trolltech.com/
     Description:         The Qt toolkit is a comprehensive C++ application development framework.

[1] /usr/portage/local/layman/xeffects


Because qt-unixODBC-3.3.8 depends on qt-3.3.8-r2 and because the overlay has higher priority than the official tree, qt cannot upgrade and thus, it blocks qt-unixODBC-3.3.8 which is marked stable.

Could you please fix this?
_________________
... Morpheus: What is "real"? How do you define "real"? If you 're talking about what you can feel, what you can smell, what you can taste and see, then "real" is simply electrical signals interpreted by your brain...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
boniek
Guru
Guru


Joined: 26 Mar 2005
Posts: 373

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

depontius wrote:
Things jump several versions. To do your font work, do I really need the newest, or do I need something between the newest and what I've got now? (Or do I need an overlay because something just isn't in regular portage, at all?)

Of course you don't need newest stuff. Keep in mind that you may want newest versions because of speed improvements, bug and security fixes (this is especially true in case of freetype). If you still want to use older versions of packages remember that xeffects is available through git so you can get older ebuilds by checking out appropriate revision - as long as cairo/libXft have newspr use flag it will work, as for freetype I strongly recommend using latest version from portage (a lot of bug fixes!). I'm trying to keep font related ebuilds as up-to-date as possible because that way works best for me.
GoofyX wrote:
...

Thanks for report, but please note that this is support topic for font related ebuilds from xeffects overlay and not for overlay itself. Please inform [nesl247] or [roderick] about your problem.
_________________
[HOWTO]New freetype subpixel font rendering for lcd monitors
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GoofyX
n00b
n00b


Joined: 23 Feb 2005
Posts: 51
Location: Thessaloniki, Greece

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boniek wrote:
Thanks for report, but please note that this is support topic for font related ebuilds from xeffects overlay and not for overlay itself. Please inform [nesl247] or [roderick] about your problem.


Thanks, I will do so.
_________________
... Morpheus: What is "real"? How do you define "real"? If you 're talking about what you can feel, what you can smell, what you can taste and see, then "real" is simply electrical signals interpreted by your brain...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
roderick
l33t
l33t


Joined: 11 Jul 2005
Posts: 908
Location: St. John's, NL CANADA

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I updated the KEYWORDS in the xeffects ebuild. Should be all ok now. :)
_________________
If God were a pickle, I'd still say "no pickle on my burger".
http://roderick-greening.blogspot.com/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GoofyX
n00b
n00b


Joined: 23 Feb 2005
Posts: 51
Location: Thessaloniki, Greece

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roderick wrote:
I updated the KEYWORDS in the xeffects ebuild. Should be all ok now. :)

Thanks, it's fine now. :)
_________________
... Morpheus: What is "real"? How do you define "real"? If you 're talking about what you can feel, what you can smell, what you can taste and see, then "real" is simply electrical signals interpreted by your brain...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
boniek
Guru
Guru


Joined: 26 Mar 2005
Posts: 373

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please mask all higher than 1.4.2 cairo versions till overlay update.
EDIT: cairo 1.4.4 in overlay.
_________________
[HOWTO]New freetype subpixel font rendering for lcd monitors
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 8 of 30

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum