"Transcode failed with status: 247"
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KShots
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:01 am    Post subject: "Transcode failed with status: 247" Reply with quote

... and that's all the detail I get from mythtv 0.20. Any ideas what's going on? A quick search didn't pop anything up :(.

Here's what I've got:

media-tv/mythtv-0.20_p11444 USE="alsa dts dvd ivtv joystick lcd lirc opengl perl vorbis (-altivec) -backendonly -crciprec -dbox2 -debug -dvb -freebox -frontendonly -hdhomerun -ieee1394 -jack (-mmx) -xvmc" VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia -i810 -via"
media-video/transcode-1.0.2-r2 USE="X a52 dv dvdread extrafilters fame gtk imagemagick jpeg mjpeg mp3 mpeg network ogg quicktime sdl theora truetype vorbis xml xvid (-3dnow) (-altivec) -lzo (-mmx) (-sse) (-sse2) -v4l2"

Unfortunately, I can't seem to dig up much of any more useful information (the myth logs are plain abysmal, both in /var/log and in the front end)
Hobbes-X
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try running mythbackend with -v jobqueue- I believe that makes it log the command lines it's running for mythtranscode. Then you can run the command yourself and see if you get some more helpful information from mythtranscode directly.
Hobbes-X
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also related info on the myth-users list: http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/229716?search_string=transcode%20247;#229716
KShots
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hobbes-X wrote:
There's also related info on the myth-users list: http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/229716?search_string=transcode%20247;#229716
Hmm... I'll have to keep that list in my bookmarks.

At any rate, it appears that at the moment there's no real solution. Apparently (according to the posters there), mythtranscode simply does not work with the default codecs. There was one poster who got it to work with MPEG4 (which I should probably be using myself, if I can figure out how), but the defaults are not found by mythtranscode.... which brings up another possibility. What are the chances that this is an issue with x86 vs. amd64? I'll bet a significant portion of the board here is running mythtv 0.20 with no problems. Anyone running it on an amd64 and having no problems with transcode?
KShots
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, just shot down the architecture idea.

I just installed myth on my laptop, which is a pentium 4. Had it hook into my backend on my desktop and it couldn't transcode anything either for the same reason. What gives?
Hobbes-X
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KShots wrote:
Apparently (according to the posters there), mythtranscode simply does not work with the default codecs. There was one poster who got it to work with MPEG4 (which I should probably be using myself, if I can figure out how), but the defaults are not found by mythtranscode....

Hmmm- which codec are you coming from? What's your video source?
KShots
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hobbes-X wrote:
KShots wrote:
Apparently (according to the posters there), mythtranscode simply does not work with the default codecs. There was one poster who got it to work with MPEG4 (which I should probably be using myself, if I can figure out how), but the defaults are not found by mythtranscode....

Hmmm- which codec are you coming from? What's your video source?
I'm coming from an MPEG-2 encoding (my TV card does MPEG-2 compression by default). I have tried the settings "Autodetect" and "High Quality."
Hobbes-X
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're using a hardware encoder card, you should have no problems using transcode as far as codecs are concerned. I use it myself for both a PVR250 and a firewire input off of a DCT6200 cable box and have no problems.

Perhaps 'status 247' is a more generic error message and doesn't have anything to do with the codec in your case. Have you tried running mythtranscode from the command line with the same command that myth uses? That should help shine some light on things. At least then we'd know if it's really a codec issue.
Xenocrates
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the error status 247, too, and I found it to be a problem with transcode. I ran the same command that mythtv runs to start the transcoding job and transcode complained about missing a codec. I re-emerged transcode again with "lzo", "sdl", and "extrafilters" enabled. Not sure which one of them did it for me, but it now works.

This is what my transcode is built with...
Code:
 media-video/transcode-1.0.2-r2  USE="3dnow X a52 dv dvdread extrafilters fame gtk imagemagick jpeg lzo mjpeg mmx mp3 mpeg ogg quicktime sdl sse sse2 theora truetype v4l2 vorbis xml xvid (-altivec) -network"
derverstand
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This doesn't work for me :/ Any additional hints?

/BR
derverstand
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread didn't help me :/ Still the same error message...
KShots
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem appears to be the use of the RTJpeg codec - use xvid instead and the problem goes away. Not sure if there's a way to actually use RTJpeg, but switching to xvid resolved this problem for me.
Hobbes-X
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hobbes-X wrote:
Try running mythbackend with -v jobqueue- I believe that makes it log the command lines it's running for mythtranscode. Then you can run the command yourself and see if you get some more helpful information from mythtranscode directly.

Recompiling transcode isn't the only potential help in the thread :)
Hobbes-X
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KShots wrote:
The problem appears to be the use of the RTJpeg codec - use xvid instead and the problem goes away. Not sure if there's a way to actually use RTJpeg, but switching to xvid resolved this problem for me.

Xvid? You sure you're not thinking of nuvexport? RTJpeg comes from frame grabber cards like the bt878's- other sources like ivtv compatible cards and firewire will output MPEG2, and AFAIK the only format mythtranscode outputs is MPEG4.
KShots
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, then I meant MPEG4. There's only two options, RTJpeg and something else (at least on my setup). I use the ivtv driver on a PVR-500.

Check your transcode settings and make sure mythtranscode isn't using RTJpeg
Hobbes-X
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KShots wrote:
Check your transcode settings and make sure mythtranscode isn't using RTJpeg

Gotcha- You're right about being able to transcode to RTJpeg: http://mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-23.html#ss23.14

@derverstand- If you need info on where to configure the transcoder, the link to the myth docs above has it- while you're checking to make sure that you're not transcoding to RTJpeg, you might want to double check and make sure that you've got a transcoding profile set up that matches your source material. It's been a few years since I set my transcoding up, but IIRC, one of my problems was that I moved from a frame grabbing card to an MPEG2 card and I didn't have an MPEG2 transcoding profile setup.
derverstand
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solved :)

It was the RJPEG stuff ;)

/BR
Hobbes-X
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool 8)