forever inject
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
devsk
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject: forever inject Reply with quote

so you have few packages which you never wanna install and you are tired of adding those to /etc/portage/profile/package.provided every time you sync and have a new version. Help is here! Create /etc/cron.daily/inject with:
Code:

#!/bin/bash
emerge --sync
for i in app-admin/sabayon app-admin/pessulus www-client/epiphany media-video/totem mail-client/evolution \
         gnome-extra/bug-buddy gnome-extra/yelp gnome-base/gdm net-misc/vino gnome-extra/gucharmap \
         gnome-extra/gnome2-user-docs app-editors/gedit kde-base/kdepim kde-base/kdeedu kde-base/kdewebdev ;
do
   # remove if an older or duplicate inject already exists
   remove=${i/\//\\\/}
   sed -i -e "/${remove}/d" /etc/portage/profile/package.provided

# inject a new one
   echo "Now Injecting $i..."
   pkg_to_inject=`emerge -pvO $i | grep "\[ebuild " | grep -v grep | awk '{print $4}'`
   [[ -n $pkg_to_inject ]] && echo $pkg_to_inject >> /etc/portage/profile/package.provided
done

Code:
chmod +x /etc/cron.daily/inject

it syncs your tree everyday, removes previous versions you injected and injects the newer version of the packages listed in the for loop. The list there is just a sample (apologies if it contains your favourite app). Change these apps to your liking. Only list end programs. DONOT ever put libraries in there. Use "<category>/<pkg_name>" format.

I wish package.provided had a version-less format so portage could natively support this, but there may be complications in that.

Edit: if you don't mind you manual syncs to take a bit longer, you can also put this script (minus the line containing 'emerge --sync', because that would create an infinite loop) in /etc/portage/postsync.d/ .

Last edited by devsk on Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
ebfe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check /etc/portage/postsync.d
devsk
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

manual intermediate syncs will feel slow to the users if inject is done thru postsync.d and he has a large list of packages to inject. But I think it can be put there if users feel ok about it.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: