Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Thank you Gentoo (I'm an enthusiastic noob)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OnlyTux
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:12 pm    Post subject: Thank you Gentoo (I'm an enthusiastic noob) Reply with quote

I installed my first linux distro nearly one year ago. It was SuSE.
The difference between Windows and the free software amazed me immediately, in the sense of the control over the os, but after a while I began to feel like "restricted" by SuSE.
That is, I wanted to deeply learn how the system works, and, thogh a user-friendly ditros is quickly configurable, SuSE made me feel like I could not intervene so deeply (this is only my opinion).
After a two-days hard work among the official installation guide and many posts within this forum, I finally got it.
I still have a minimal system installed, of course. No sound can be heard, I don't find the right kernel setting for my graphics adapter, but it boots correctly, and my x86_64 installation will grow with my knowledge.
Now I can choose.
Thank you guys.
Thank you Gentoo.

OnlyTux
mark_alec
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to Gentoo!

See Gentoo Linux ALSA Guide for your sound problems, and X Server Configuration HOWTO to get a graphical environment up and running.
sonicbhoc
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Thank you Gentoo (I'm an enthusiastic noob) Reply with quote

OnlyTux wrote:
I installed my first linux distro nearly one year ago. It was SuSE.
The difference between Windows and the free software amazed me immediately, in the sense of the control over the os, but after a while I began to feel like "restricted" by SuSE.
That is, I wanted to deeply learn how the system works, and, thogh a user-friendly ditros is quickly configurable, SuSE made me feel like I could not intervene so deeply (this is only my opinion).
After a two-days hard work among the official installation guide and many posts within this forum, I finally got it.
I still have a minimal system installed, of course. No sound can be heard, I don't find the right kernel setting for my graphics adapter, but it boots correctly, and my x86_64 installation will grow with my knowledge.
Now I can choose.
Thank you guys.
Thank you Gentoo.

OnlyTux

Wow, you sound EXACTLY like what I would've said when I first started Gentoo. SuSE 9.3 was my first distro... It restricted me... so I went and found something less restricting... and totally messed up my parent's computer for a week in the process. :twisted:
wuzzerd
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome. I've been using Linux since before W-95 came out. Came to gentoo 2 years ago to get this 64-bit toy running. These forums are the heart of gentoo.

If you are still having trouble with your video post the output of
Code:
# lspci
on the appropriate forum (Kernel & Hardware) and someone will let you know which modules you need.
OnlyTux
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, how many answers.

I have managed to setup a decent kernel, so now I have both ALSA and the X server working! Thank you, mark_alec.
It is wonderful: after only three days I have switched from a point-click os (and proportional ignorance) to a command line configurable one.
A great thing is that 99 errors out of 100 are due to misreadings or misunderstandings: the documents quality is simply superb.

And, most of all, I feel something is growing behind the monitor screen, something which is (not my merit, of course) "mine".

Thank you all, again.

OnlyTux
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome by the way :)
MrVahn
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember the days when I was new to Gentoo. I was also surprised by the number of replies in such a short time. This is a characteristic of the Gentoo forums that cannot be found among others. Welcome!
vinboy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the support you get from Gentoo forum, wiki and bugzilla may be better than what you get for Windows.
The people who give solutions to your problem here are usually the one who really know stuff, as compared to the one in Microsoft, where they probably are marketing people :lol:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: