Proper arc.cfg file? Problems getting Booting on SGI o2
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
symgryph
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:11 am    Post subject: Proper arc.cfg file? Problems getting Booting on SGI o2 Reply with quote

I have used varioius and sundry arc.cfg files with very poor results. I can only boot when I choose 'diaganistic' option from the sgi main screen, then my kernel boots fine.

If I try to boot directly from the hard disk, things don't work. So I have to leave the cd in, and press the 'diagnistic' option to boot to my kernel.

Here is my arc.cfg file:

# ARCLoad Configuration

# Some default settings...
append "root=/dev/sda3";
append "ro";

# Our main definition. ip28 may be changed if you wish.
ip28 {
# Definition for a "working" kernel
# Select this by setting OSLoadFilename="ip28(working)"
working {
description "SGI O2\n\r";
image system "/working";
}
}

I copied the working kernel: vmlinux.32 to the partition with the appropriate command, copied the arc.cfg to the same, making sure that the names copied to the sgi boot volume via the dvhtool. I changed my environment variables as according to the docs, changing the examples to reflect the above. Here are my variables in the SGI box: I copied the arcSASH utiliy to the system volume with the name 'arcs', and the above file, with a "working" filename for my kernel. THese are also present in my /boot partition, which corresponds to /dev/sda1. My "/root" partition is /dev/sda3. I have a swap parition on /dev/sda2, I don't have /boot in my fstab, as well. My sgi "boot" partition is on partition nine (/dev/sda4 according to fstab), I followed the docs exactly. I also can see the files on the sgi volume when I go into the prom monitor and type in "ls". Arcload says "file not found", even though I have referenced the files exactly as in the documentation, making sure my names and spelling were correct. I also ran the dvhtool --print-all to see what was in the directory:

arc.cf
working
arcs

my variables:

setenv OSLoadader arcs
setenv OSLoadFilename ip28(working)
setenv

So it isn't that bad, just have to use the 'diagnastic' button, leave cd in and it boots. Just curios what I am doing wrong.

THomas
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: