Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Whither XMMS? [SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 13, 14, 15  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jannemann
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nenolod wrote:
for those seeking xmms-alarm, i have finished it's port.

Thanks a lot, that was fast and it works for me :-)

Again, thanks to you (and the rest of the audacious team) for putting so much effort in porting xmms-plugins in such a short time. Awesome! I'm quite sure now, most of the xmms users will switch over to audacious sooner or later - so did I :-)
NightDragon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At first i tried audacious... but it was crashing, while i tried to import my files.
So i unmasked the newest Version in Portage, installed them and now the import-Progress is running over 3h.
Okay, i'm importing over WLAN with 54MBit, but hey, xmms was doeing that fine. Didn't need hours, while was also reading the Tags out of my files.

Xine and mplayer aren't a great music-player, the usebility is to bad.

Another thing i was trieing is amarok. Great looking, easy handling, and it has SQL-Support. Something i like.
Okay, so i start to import my files with amarok. After 54% amarok stops with the message, that to many problems are occured.
Dmaned, amarok didn't just print a message at the end of the import-Progress, no he stops complete the import.
What kind of idea was that?

Hm... when i use juk, i see, that it wasn't that i'm was looking for.

So now, while xmms-development is stopped, i stand here with the question "What could i too? Are there really no alternatives too xmms?? Is that really the poor Linux-Choice? I can't believe, but maybe i must."

What music.player for X did you try? whats your alternative too them?
BasketCase
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NightDragon: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-3672753.html#3672753
NightDragon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah i've done this allready. But the next crazy thing audacious does, is do set in the end of some files "uncorrect utf8".
I know what that means and where it is comeing from. But i don't want this kind of entry in my playlist.
If a file is playable, okay, when not, then audacious should leave them where it is.

And okay, why can xmms read out Tags so much faster then the new audacious? It's the next thing i can't understand.

Another point is, when i'm clicking on a mpc (Musepack)-File, the player needs about 10 seconds to start playing...
xmms doesn't have any problems here.
skelter
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject: GLEP/Portage alert Reply with quote

Conan wrote:
The proper solution to notifications such as these is Critical News Reporting a GLEP that seems to be taking its time making it.

I was wondering if there was a mechanism in portage that would gather all the important green, yellow, (maybe red) asterisks for later viewing after the emerge aftermath. Is there something currently in portage that will do this or is GLEP the only plan?
BasketCase
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skelter: http://www.fmp.com/enotice/
Conan
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

enotice is unnecessary

portage supports it nativly with elog since 2.1

read /etc/make.conf.example for more info
skelter
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:44 pm    Post subject: Post subject: GLEP/Portage alert Reply with quote

BasketCase wrote:
skelter: http://www.fmp.com/enotice/

Thanks! That'll help.

I'm still enamored of the cirtical news reporting idea. I learned that GLEP isn't the name for it, that's a generic acronym for an enhancement proposal. This one is #42

Quote:

This GLEP proposes a new way of informing users about important updates and news related to the tree.
Motivation

Although most package updates are clean and require little user action, occasionally an upgrade requires user intervention. Recent examples of the latter include the gcc-3.4 stabilisation on x86 and the mysql-4.1 database format changes.

There are currently several ways of delivering important news items to our users, none of them particularly effective:

* Gentoo Weekly News
* The gentoo-announce, gentoo-user and gentoo-dev mailing lists
* The Gentoo Forums
* The main Gentoo website
* RSS feeds of Gentoo news
* einfo and ewarn messages in pkg_setup or pkg_postinst

A more reliable way of getting news of critical updates out to users is required to avoid repeats of various prior upgrade debacles. This GLEP proposes a solution based around pushing news items out to the user via the rsync tree.

Important

This GLEP does not seek to replace or modify einfo messages which are displayed post-install. That is a separate issue which is handled by elog [1].

The more of a parade through the living room anouncing the demise of popular (but unmaintainable) packages, the softer (ed) the blow. Community strife will migrate to the next issue.
dogshu
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jannemann wrote:
dogshu wrote:
I use a remote control, however because I use the remote for several different programs I do not use LIRC plugins, instead I use LIRC's irexec, which then calls xmmsctrl, tvtime-command, and xine-remote, and based on which program is running dispatches the appropriate command. An example from my .lircrc: [...]

I like that idea, as I'm using the appropriate lirc-plugins mostly. Would you please post/send me your whole .lircrc?

As for audacious: Have you checked audtool? That seems to be what you're looking for when you want to control audacious from outside.

It sounds like audtool is indeed what I'm looking for. Here's my lircrc

Code:

# If multiple apps are running, the priority is:
# xmms, dvdplayer, tvtime

# TV: start/stop tvtime
begin
    prog = irexec
    button = KEY_TV
    config = sh -c "if tvtime-command SHOW_STATS ; then tvtime-command QUIT ; else sh -c 'tvtime &' ; fi"
end

# Radio: start/stop xmms
begin
    prog = irexec
    button = KEY_RADIO
    config = sh -c 'if xmmsctrl running ; then xmmsctrl quit ; else xmmsctrl launch ; fi'
end

# Fullscreen: xmms play/stop, tvtime/dvdplayer toggle fullscreen
begin
    prog = irexec
    button = KEY_ZOOM
    config = sh -c "if xmmsctrl playing ; then xmmsctrl stop ; else if xmmsctrl play ; then exit ; else if xine-remote -c 'identify x:x ; fullscreen' ; then exit ; else tvtime-command TOGGLE_FULLSCREEN ; fi ; fi ; fi"
end

# Mute: xmms play/pause, dvdplayer play/pause, tvtime toggle mute
begin
    prog = irexec
    button = KEY_MUTE
    config = sh -c "if xmmsctrl playing ; then xmmsctrl pause ; else if xmmsctrl play ; then exit ; else if xine-remote -c 'identify x:x ; pause' ; then exit ; else tvtime-command TOGGLE_MUTE ; fi ; fi ; fi"
end

# Source: xmms toggle shuffle, tvtime previous channel
begin
    prog = irexec
    button = KEY_CHANNEL
    config = sh -c "if xmmsctrl shuffle ; then exit ; else if xine-remote -c 'identify x:x ; gui hide' ; then exit ; else tvtime-command KEY_EVENT backspace ; fi ; fi"
    repeat = 1
end

# Reserved: toggle monitor on/off
begin
    prog = irexec
    button = KEY_RESERVED
    config = xset dpms force off
    config = xset dpms force on
end

# Minimize: xmms clear playlist, start/stop dvdplayer, tvtime info
begin
    prog = irexec
    button = KEY_MINIMIZE
    config = sh -c "if xine-remote -c 'identify x:x ; halt' ; then exit ; else if tvtime-command DISPLAY_INFO ; then exit ; else if xmmsctrl running ; then xmmsctrl dir /dev/null ; else /usr/local/bin/dvdplayer ; fi  ; fi ; fi "
    repeat = 1
end

# CH+: xmms next song, dvdplayer next chapter, tvtime channel up
begin
    prog = irexec
    button = KEY_CHANNELUP
    config = sh -c "if xmmsctrl next ; then exit ; else if xine-remote -c 'identify x:x ; event next' ; then exit; else tvtime-command KEY_EVENT up ; fi ; fi"
    repeat = 1
end

# CH-: xmms previous song, dvdplayer previous chapter, tvtime channel down
begin
    prog = irexec
    button = KEY_CHANNELDOWN
    config = sh -c "if xmmsctrl previous ; then exit ; else if xine-remote -c 'identify x:x ; event previous' ; then exit ; else tvtime-command KEY_EVENT down ; fi; fi"
    repeat = 1
end

# VOL+: xmms/tvtime/dvdplayer volume up
begin
    prog = irexec
    button = KEY_VOLUMEUP
    config = sh -c "if xmmsctrl running ; then amixer sset Wave 5+ ; amixer sset 'Wave Center' 5+ ; amixer sset 'Wave LFE' 5+ ; exit ; fi ; if xine-remote -c 'identify x:x ; exit' ; then amixer sset Wave 5+ ; amixer sset 'Wave Center' 5+ ; amixer sset 'Wave LFE' 5+ ; exit ; fi ; if tvtime-command MIXER_UP ; then for i in 1 2 3 4 ; do tvtime-command MIXER_UP ; done ; fi";
    repeat = 2
end

# VOL-: xmms/tvtime/dvdplayer volume down
begin
    prog = irexec
    button = KEY_VOLUMEDOWN
    config = sh -c "if xmmsctrl running ; then amixer sset Wave 5- ; amixer sset 'Wave Center' 5- ; amixer sset 'Wave LFE' 5- ; exit ; fi ; if xine-remote -c 'identify x:x ; exit' ; then amixer sset Wave 5- ; amixer sset 'Wave Center' 5- ; amixer sset 'Wave LFE' 5- ; exit ; fi ; if tvtime-command MIXER_DOWN ; then for i in 1 2 3 4 ; do tvtime-command MIXER_DOWN ; done ; fi";
    repeat = 2
end

# 1: xmms -5 seconds, dvdplayer -15 seconds, tvtime channel
begin
    prog   = irexec
    button = KEY_1
    config = sh -c "if xmmsctrl time -5 ; then exit ; else if xine-remote -c 'identify x:x ; seek -15' ; then exit ; else tvtime-command CHANNEL_1  ; fi ; fi"
end

# 2: dvdplayer menu up, tvtime channel
begin
    prog   = irexec
    button = KEY_2
    config = sh -c "if xine-remote -c 'identify x:x ; event up' ; then exit ; else tvtime-command CHANNEL_2 ; fi"
end

# 3: xmms +5 seconds, dvdplayer +15 seconds, tvtime channel
begin
    prog   = irexec
    button = KEY_3
    config = sh -c "if xmmsctrl time +5 ; then exit ; else if xine-remote -c 'identify x:x ; seek +15' ; then exit ; else tvtime-command CHANNEL_3 ; fi ; fi"
end

# 4: xmms -20 seconds, dvdplayer menu left, tvtime channel
begin
    prog   = irexec
    button = KEY_4
    config = sh -c "if xmmsctrl time -20 ; then exit ; else if xine-remote -c 'identify x:x ; event left' ; then exit ; else tvtime-command CHANNEL_4 ; fi ; fi"
end

# 5: dvdplayer menu select, tvtime channel
begin
    prog   = irexec
    button = KEY_5
    config = sh -c "if xine-remote -c 'identify x:x ; event select'; then exit ; else tvtime-command CHANNEL_5 ; fi"
end

# 6: xmms +20 seconds, dvdplayer menu right, tvtime channel
begin
    prog   = irexec
    button = KEY_6
    config = sh -c "if xmmsctrl time +20 ; then exit ; else if xine-remote -c 'identify x:x ; event right' ; then exit ; else tvtime-command CHANNEL_6 ; fi ; fi"
end

# 7: xmms -1 minute, dvdplayer -1 minute, tvtime channel
begin
    prog   = irexec
    button = KEY_7
    config = sh -c "if xmmsctrl time -60 ; then exit ; else if xine-remote -c 'identify x:x ; seek -60' ; then exit ; else tvtime-command CHANNEL_7 ; fi ; fi"
end

#8: xmms load hiphop playlist, dvdplayer menu down, tvtime channel
begin
    prog   = irexec
    button = KEY_8
    config = sh -c "if xmmsctrl dir /media/mp3-genre/Hip-Hop/hiphop.m3u ; then exit ; else if xine-remote -c 'identify x:x ; event down' ; then exit ; else tvtime-command CHANNEL_8 ; fi ; fi"
end

#9: xmms +1 minute, dvdplayer +1 minute, tvtime channel
begin
    prog   = irexec
    button = KEY_9
    config = sh -c "if xmmsctrl time +60 ; then exit ; else if xine-remote -c 'identify x:x ; seek +60' ; then exit ; else tvtime-command CHANNEL_9 ; fi ; fi"
end

#0: xmms load everything playlist, dvdplayer root menu, tvtime channel
begin
    prog   = irexec
    button = KEY_0
    config = sh -c "if xmmsctrl dir /media/mp3/everything.m3u ; then exit ; else if xine-remote -c 'identify x:x ; event menu2' ; then exit ; else tvtime-command CHANNEL_0 ; fi ; fi"
end

nenolod
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NightDragon wrote:
Yeah i've done this allready. But the next crazy thing audacious does, is do set in the end of some files "uncorrect utf8".
I know what that means and where it is comeing from. But i don't want this kind of entry in my playlist.
If a file is playable, okay, when not, then audacious should leave them where it is.

To fix this, set up your locales:

Preferences -> Playlist -> Metadata -> Fallback character encodings

As for load performance, I've already addressed that in this thread.
jamapii
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a (more or less) one-liner to find all ebuilds that mention xmms (and aren't yet in myoverlay)

Code:
for i in /usr/portage/*; do echo $i|grep -q -- - && for j in $i/*; do   
  ls $j/*ld >/dev/null 2>&1 &&
    ([ -d $(echo $j|sed -e s:/usr/portage:/usr/local/myoverlay:) ] ||
      grep -H xmms $j/*ld);
done; done

and a completely untested ebuild for wmauda, the wmxmms replacement
Code:
# Copyright 1999-2006 Gentoo Foundation
# Distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License v2
# $Header: /var/cvsroot/gentoo-x86/x11-plugins/wmxmms/wmxmms-0.1.4-r1.ebuild,v 1.7 2006/02/07 21:14:48 blubb Exp $

inherit eutils

IUSE=""
DESCRIPTION="WMaker DockApp: audacious Control App"
HOMEPAGE="http://www.netswarm.net/misc/"
SRC_URI="http://www.netswarm.net/misc/${P}.tar.gz"

SLOT="0"
LICENSE="GPL-2"
KEYWORDS="alpha amd64 hppa ppc ~sparc x86"

DEPEND="media-sound/audacious
        =x11-libs/gtk+-1.2*
        dev-util/pkgconfig"

src_compile() {
        emake OPT="${CFLAGS}" PREFIX=/usr || die
}

src_install() {
        make install PREFIX=/usr DESTDIR=${D}
        dodoc README
}
Dralnu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just going to make my point here:

This is Grade A bullshit. XMMS has bugs, sure. What program doesn't? Like was said before, why not remove KDE, X.Org, OOo, and the thousands of other programs that have problems. Devs or no, XMMS WORKS. I have never had a problem with it, ever.

I read some of the bug report over the masking of XMMS. I don't see a sold reason to remove it. Bugs there may be, but XMMS is the best media app I've ever used. I don't want to spend the time to try and find something else, simply because I don't need it.

I'm seeing why so many people are getting pissed off over Gentoo. The devs are assholes.

If I wanted to be told what to use, I'd use fucking Windows. This is completly idiotic.

[/rant]

Ok. I feel somewhat better. Now I might see if there is anything that isn't bloated and utterly useless out there.

The notice that WinAmp works under Wine is nice, too.

Last edited by Dralnu on Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:16 am; edited 1 time in total
yabbadabbadont
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dralnu: This was just the last straw for me. I found a simple solution too, I installed Ubuntu again. This time I pretty much installed every development package I could find and haven't had any trouble compiling the one or two packages I use outside of the repositories. Plus, using checkinstall is much easier than writing my own ebuilds. :D
LAj
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really, do you?
They produce notes of any size as their own properties askng interests also.This is seignorage and goes to privates banks(FED, BCE).You don't have to pay to use $$,you can simply use your notes recovering monetary sovereignty.Public debt is not right!
Dralnu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yabbadabbadont wrote:
Dralnu: This was just the last straw for me. I found a simple solution too, I installed Ubuntu again. This time I pretty much installed every development package I could find and haven't had any trouble compiling the one or two packages I use outside of the repositories. Plus, using checkinstall is much easier than writing my own ebuilds. :D
Actually, I'm thinking of rebooting into XP. It works, and at least they have a history of screwing people. I've already ranted on the bug report.

Personally, I don't want to mess with pre-compiled binaries, but the Gentoo devs should know: I have my SuSe CDs, and a working Windows install. I know they don't give a shit about the users, they make it obvious, but this is seriously fucked up.
BasketCase
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yabbadabbadont wrote:

That will work until Ubuntu decides to do the same thing (I believe they will soon unless they decide to take over maintaining xmms). Compiling it yourself will also work until your distro goes and upgrades gcc which will break either xmms or its gtk+-1 dependancy (or more likely both).

The problem (and I tried to make sure) is that unpatched xmms simply will not compile on a current version of gcc and nobody has volunteered to write new patches. If I were a C programmer I would consider it. If it was just a matter of maintaining the Gentoo port of it I already volunteered to do it. Switching distros will just hold off the problem until that distro does the same thing. Gentoo is generally ahead of most if not all of the major distros just because of the way portage work and that means we get this first and unfortunately before the replacement is completely ready.

OTOH, if you talk to the Audacious devs (like I did after I slept off my initial rage) they are more than willing to fix problems you encounter when migrating from xmms (unless you want doublesize like I do :P )
BasketCase
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dralnu wrote:
yabbadabbadont wrote:
Actually, I'm thinking of rebooting into XP. It works, and at least they have a history of screwing people. I've already ranted on the bug report.

Personally, I don't want to mess with pre-compiled binaries, but the Gentoo devs should know: I have my SuSe CDs, and a working Windows install. I know they don't give a shit about the users, they make it obvious, but this is seriously fucked up.

You seem to think that the Gentoo devs (or any other Linux devs) give a crap what you use. If that is the case read this: http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm
yabbadabbadont
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BasketCase wrote:
yabbadabbadont wrote:

That will work until Ubuntu decides to do the same thing (I believe they will soon unless they decide to take over maintaining xmms). Compiling it yourself will also work until your distro goes and upgrades gcc which will break either xmms or its gtk+-1 dependancy (or more likely both).

The problem (and I tried to make sure) is that unpatched xmms simply will not compile on a current version of gcc and nobody has volunteered to write new patches. If I were a C programmer I would consider it. If it was just a matter of maintaining the Gentoo port of it I already volunteered to do it. Switching distros will just hold off the problem until that distro does the same thing. Gentoo is generally ahead of most if not all of the major distros just because of the way portage work and that means we get this first and unfortunately before the replacement is completely ready.

OTOH, if you talk to the Audacious devs (like I did after I slept off my initial rage) they are more than willing to fix problems you encounter when migrating from xmms (unless you want doublesize like I do :P )

Since Dapper will be supported for (I believe) another four years, I doubt that I'll have to worry about it much.
jeli
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh? glib1 and xmms1 _do_ have default issues compiling with newer gcc's but patches do exist. I compiled it with gcc 4.1.1 :!:
BasketCase
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeli wrote:
Eh? glib1 and xmms1 _do_ have default issues compiling with newer gcc's but patches do exist. I compiled it with gcc 4.1.1 :!:

Yes, that is because people made those patches. The problem is nobody wants to do it the next time a gcc/glibc/whatever upgrade breaks xmms. The people who wrote xmms haven't updated it in years so the only reason it still works is that people like the Gentoo devs have been patching it. They simply aren't willing to take on that task anymore when there are apps out there that they consider to be "good enough".
jeli
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't get those patches from the "gentoo guys". I found them on the XMMS mailing list. :roll:
araemo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xmms seems to be in make.defaults. This is rather... unpleasant. Edit: You know, this is actually my major issue with this change. I never specifically turned on xmms support when I compiled other programs, but I emerged xmms because back when I started using gentoo, it was the only simple audio player(that supported GUI playlists) that I knew of. Being forced to futz with my system just because xmms will break again sometime isn't exactly fun. Why not leave it there (~x86 if you want to send a clear message, that it is no longer supported) until it breaks?

-xmms goes into my make.conf now, and I have to remerge a bunch of apps just to get an emerge -uD world out of the way. why couldn't xmms just have been left with no future version bumps?

Last edited by araemo on Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:56 am; edited 2 times in total
Dralnu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BasketCase wrote:
Dralnu wrote:
yabbadabbadont wrote:

You seem to think that the Gentoo devs (or any other Linux devs) give a crap what you use. If that is the case read this: http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm
The point here is they are trying to tell us what to use. This is about as idiotic a move as I have seen from anyone. Whether they care or not, this is like ripping out glibc to some folks - it causes serious problems. They could have been courteous enough to just keyword it and mask it - removal is just too far. There are alot of error-prone programs in Portage that are hard-masked. They could have done this instead, and waited for XMMS2.

I'm going to hardmask Audacious, simply because that is what they recommended using.
nenolod
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dralnu wrote:
BasketCase wrote:
Dralnu wrote:
yabbadabbadont wrote:

The point here is they are trying to tell us what to use. This is about as idiotic a move as I have seen from anyone. Whether they care or not, this is like ripping out glibc to some folks - it causes serious problems. They could have been courteous enough to just keyword it and mask it - removal is just too far. There are alot of error-prone programs in Portage that are hard-masked. They could have done this instead, and waited for XMMS2.

I'm going to hardmask Audacious, simply because that is what they recommended using.

Isn't that a bit overkill, really?
Dralnu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. I've already got mpd (I had it installed awhile back, just forgot about it).

Overkill is sometimes the only thing that gets through to people.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 10 of 15

Jump to: