Automerge by default?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aethyr
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 12:03 am    Post subject: Automerge by default? Reply with quote

Since I have a bit of free time on my hands, I decided to upgrade some of my basic Gentoo tools.

I was using gentoolkit-0.1.17-r3 and portage-0.46-r12 and decided to upgrade to the newer stable x86 versions gentoolkit-0.1.21-r1 and portage-2.0.47-r10.

I updated gentoolkit first, which alerted me that I had three changes to make, /etc/make.conf, /etc/make.globals, and /etc/etc-update.conf. "No problem," I thought to myself, "I'll just run etc-update". Within moments after hitting etc-update, I was a bit surprised to see that changes were being automerged. I'm not a big fan of having changes made to my system files without me knowing what happened, but unfortunately I can't even see what changes were made. Even more unfortunately, my custom /etc/make.conf file was completely lost, seemingly entirely replaced by the new file.

This is not what I call a "trivial/comment change" (as per description of /etc/etc-update.conf).

I ended up going through and redoing as much of my make.conf file as I could remember (completely redoing my USE flags and CCFLAGS), all the while cursing automerge.

The question I pose is this: should we be turning on dangerous features like these by changing the default to make it convenient for users who did not understand how to use etc-update in its previous default behavior of manual merges.

I was a bit shocked by the whole event, since its one of the few times Gentoo has so blatantly stepped on my toe.

I suppose I will have to tread with caution from now on (I'm scared to know what will happen after I update my baselayout, which portage is now telling me I must do).

While we're addressing automatic behavior, I'm curious to know the reasoning behind setting Autoclean to default. I realize that this was made the default a few months ago to address a bug in the GCC ebuilds (if I recall correctly), however, this seems quite hackish. Of course, I had to edit my make.conf to set Autoclean to off after my previous make.conf (with all my preferences) was overwritten to the upgrade of gentoolkit.

I think these are issues that should be addressed with care as I find Gentoo seems to be overstepping its bounds a bit by setting these to default. Note, I have no problem with the features themselves, only the enabling of them by default.

I think Gentoo should perform a minimal set of changes by default, leaving it to the user's discretion if they would care to let Gentoo manage more complicated configuration settings automatically.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm understanding you correctly, the automerge only happens on files that have a header difference or something similar. I've never had my make.conf hosed this way. Not sure what the problem might be.
aethyr
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If I'm understanding you correctly, the automerge only happens on files that have a header difference or something similar
Accoding to etc-update itself, this is how it works, however my experience was quite different.

I'm almost willing to accept that and write it off as a bug. I mean theoretically I should have backed up those three files. However, all of my experience with etc-update to that point was that when you ran it, it brought up a menu in which you could manually merge changes. Now, after updating to a new version, the behavior that I was expecting based on previous usage was changed, without any indication.

I think the point is that there's a fundamental difference in attitude between turning these things on by default and leaving them off by default. Also, changing the default behavior of a program without any indication to the end-user is fallacious.

I think Gentoo, and by extension its developers, should carefully consider what attitude they take towards these features.
avendesora
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's been some discussion around these forums about make.conf getting hosed. Can't remember what the issue was, but try searching for it and you might find an explanation.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking it might have been something else. I could be mistaken though since it has been a while since I've installed that version of etc-update.

/etc/etc-update.conf has a setting for "eu_automerge". I was thinking I had to manually set it to yes. Perhaps the earlier versions had an einfo line or something (a warning/info message after the ebuild is installed).

If you haven't edited the /etc/etc-update.conf file and automerge is set to yes, then it might be worth filing a bug report for defaulting to no (if there isn't one already). Also, CONFIG_PROTECT, in /etc/make.conf, may not have been configured correctly.
jimlynch11
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah my automerge is set to yes, and it hosed like all of my important config files. make.conf, fstab, users, etc etc...

where can i find backups to these (are there backups?) and how do i keep etc-update from doing this again?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: