Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
X.org 7.1 DPMS (display power management)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
halfgaar
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: X.org 7.1 DPMS (display power management) Reply with quote

I just upgraded to X.org 7.1 (from 7.0), and now my monitor won't go into standby/suspend/off anymore. It is enabled properly:

part of "xset q":

Code:
DPMS (Energy Star):
  Standby: 600    Suspend: 660    Off: 3000
  DPMS is Enabled
  Monitor is On

Forcing suspend using "xset dpms force suspend" also works fine.

Anybody knows what's up?
zxiiro
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same problem here.
halfgaar
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strangely enough, after this bug report, it did go into standby. It seems as though it does work once you've run "xset dpms force suspend" (or another power mode). Can you confirm this, zxiiro?
zxiiro
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

halfgaar wrote:
Strangely enough, after this bug report, it did go into standby. It seems as though it does work once you've run "xset dpms force suspend" (or another power mode). Can you confirm this, zxiiro?

That solution did not work for me. It did go into suspend when I typed the command though, but not automatically after xx minutes.
halfgaar
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't repeat the workaround either (it wasn't a solution to begin with).
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this problem with nvidia-drivers 8774 and xorg 7.1 about a month back. However, I downgraded xorg to 7.0 since then, and I do not face such problems anymore.
But I do remember that DPMS would not work, and moreover the CTRL+ALT+<KP +>/<KP -> which are used to rotate through the different resolutions present in xorg.conf did not work. Could you confirm if the above keybindings still work in xorg 7.1? If not, it is either a bug in Xorg or in nvidia-drivers (assuming you are using nvidia drivers too).
halfgaar
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have nvidia-drivers 1.0.8774, and I also had them with Xorg 7.0. In 7.0, I didn't have this DPMS issue. It came when I upgraded X.org.

Also, not really relevant to the subject, but my CTRL-ALT+/- keys work fine.
Miwer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can confirm this problem too... although with a twist. with a freshly (re)started Xorg, DPMS is working fine for me, but as soon as I watch some live tv in MythTV and exits, DPMS is not working until I either restart Xorg, or change some DPMS settings or use the force command. After that DPMS is working again.

MythTV is supposed to deactivate DPMS when watching tv, and reactivate it when not. Here's another user that have exactly this problem:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/commits/233294

AMD64 2.6.17-r7
xorg-7.1
nvidia-drivers-1.0.8776
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have upgraded to nvidia-1.0.9626 with xorg-7.0 here. DPMS and the CTRL+ALT+<KP_+/-> work fine. I haven't dared to upgrade to 7.1 (why break a working system ;) ).
halfgaar
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had my problem under observation for a while now, and it seems to be the opposite of what Miwer states. My DPMS works fine when X is freshly started, but when I have open mplayer or something else that deactivates DPMS, it won't go into standby/suspend/off again. But, I'm not completely sure of this, it could also be random... Problem is not solved yet, anyway.

I recently upgraded to nvidia-drivers 1.0.8776 BTW, but that didn't help. Didn't expect it to, because the problem seems to be X.org.
gegen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same symptom after upgrading to xorg-x11 7.1

Code:
xset q

Told me that I had DPMS enabled. I didn't quite get it.

So, browsing some Xorg manuals, I found some xorg.conf configuration parameters (values are in minutes), which I added

Code:
Section "ServerFlags"
    Option      "StandbyTime"  "20"
    Option      "SuspendTime"  "30"
    Option      "OffTime"      "60"
EndSection

And now my monitor suspends right as it did before upgrading. Could this be an xscreensaver issue then?
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

halfgaar wrote:
I've had my problem under observation for a while now, and it seems to be the opposite of what Miwer states. My DPMS works fine when X is freshly started, but when I have open mplayer or something else that deactivates DPMS, it won't go into standby/suspend/off again. But, I'm not completely sure of this, it could also be random... Problem is not solved yet, anyway.

I recently upgraded to nvidia-drivers 1.0.8776 BTW, but that didn't help. Didn't expect it to, because the problem seems to be X.org.
Oh! I have seen that gmplayer is notorious for not restoring the DPMS to on after it finishes playing (for eg., if you click on the close button instead of pressing q to quit). mplayer does restore the DPMS setting though.
halfgaar
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mplayer (the normal one) did exactly the same, not restoring the screensaver status when you press the close button, giving a broken pipe error, if I remember correctly. That's why I wrote a wrapper script which would save current DPMS status, start mplayer, and restore DPMS setting. Good to know they fixed that bug, because now I don't need that script anymore. It's also strange that they fixed it, because a bug report I filed once, was dismissed as invalid, and the window managers were blaimed for the fault.

But this is not the problem I'm experiencing now. As stated, even when "xset q" reports DPMS to be active, it won't engage. At least, sometimes it does, and sometimes it won't.
Mad Merlin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ppurka wrote:
halfgaar wrote:

Oh! I have seen that gmplayer is notorious for not restoring the DPMS to on after it finishes playing (for eg., if you click on the close button instead of pressing q to quit). mplayer does restore the DPMS setting though.

I've noticed that gmplayer-bin (on amd64) does this with great regularity, I have never seen this issue with regular gmplayer.
evoweiss
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

Because my work day today is totally unproductive, I thought I'd chime in with a "me too" message. I've noticed of late the same problems with similar symptoms. Interestingly, I had this problem way back when I was running XFree. The problem then was mplayer, which, for some reason, didn't reactivate dpms and given these posts it seems as if the same thing is happening again. I am not sure whether xine does the same thing.

I've also still got this fullscreen playback issue, which I posted about elsewhere.

Hoping somebody figures this out. Has anybody posted this to a bug tracker?

Best,

Alex

Mad Merlin wrote:
ppurka wrote:
halfgaar wrote:

I've noticed that gmplayer-bin (on amd64) does this with great regularity, I have never seen this issue with regular gmplayer.
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I updated xorg and nvidia-drivers today. Everything seems to be working fine (DPMS is working and CTRL+ALT+<KP_+/-> is working) :)
FYI:
Code:
~> emerge -pv xorg-server xorg-x11 nvidia-drivers

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R   ] x11-base/xorg-server-1.1.1-r1  USE="aiglx dri nptl sdl xorg -3dfx -debug -dmx -ipv6 -kdrive -minimal -xprint" INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse -acecad -aiptek -calcomp -citron -digitaledge -dmc -dynapro -elo2300 -elographics -evdev -fpit -hyperpen -jamstudio -joystick -magellan -microtouch -mutouch -palmax -penmount -spaceorb -summa -synaptics -tek4957 -ur98 -vmmouse -void -wacom" VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia -apm -ark -chips -cirrus -cyrix -dummy -epson -fbdev -fglrx -glint -i128 -i740 -i810 (-impact) -imstt -mach64 -mga -neomagic (-newport) -nsc -nv -r128 -radeon -rendition -s3 -s3virge -savage -siliconmotion -sis -sisusb (-sunbw2) (-suncg14) (-suncg3) (-suncg6) (-sunffb) (-sunleo) (-suntcx) -tdfx -tga -trident -tseng -v4l -vesa -vga -via -vmware -voodoo" 0 kB
[ebuild   R   ] x11-base/xorg-x11-7.1  0 kB
[ebuild   R   ] x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-1.0.9629  USE="dlloader" 0 kB

Total size of downloads: 0 kB

EDIT: Seems I spoke too soon. The DPMS bug is still there.
elvanor
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Same problem here. xset q reports DPMS is enabled. When I first boot the system, my monitor does go off, but if I work normally with my computer, after a period of time it stops working. I don't know if it's because I launch mplayer or not (it may be), the fact is that it stops working, I don't have time to make extensive tests to see what is the real trigger...

I am running AMD64-stable so this includes Xorg 7.1 and drivers from Nvidia (I have a GeForce 7600).

Should we file a bug report, and where?

Elvanor
gegen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emerging x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-1.0.9629 (which are in ~ for amd64 and x86) solved the DPMS issue for me. I've been testing that for 3 or 4 days and everything works as it did before.

Before trying with lastest drivers in ~amd64 I tried with x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-1.0.8774, which kept the same behaviour with DPMS.

You should give x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-1.0.9629 a try.
Tanj
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if this is related. But xorg will go to a blank screen aand after about 10seconds my monitor will flash "No Signal" and try to go into power save mode but as soon as it does xorg trips it back to a blank screen and the cycle continues.

Code:
$ xset dpms force suspend;xset q;sleep 7;xset q;sleep 5;xset q

shows the monitor to be in suspend during the whole sequence. (7seconds is the time it takes the monitor to display "No Signal" )

If anybody has a clue what to do about this I would be greatful. I have been manually turning off my monitor to avoid seeing it happen :/
dd2k
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have the exact same problem here. Glad I find this post proves I am not so unlucky, the problem has already puzzled me for a while. Upgrading the nv driver is not an option for me as my laptop use an ati x300. I am using ati proprietary driver, hopefully a fix will come up soon.
halfgaar
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it kind of strange that this problem occurs with ATi and NVidia hardware, and can be fixed by upgrading the drivers in case of NVidia. It may work, I just think it's strange...
cyberjun
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I too have the same problem with a nvidia driver on a toshiba satellite laptop. This appears to be a known issue with Xorg 7.1 and probably will be fixed in 7.2. Have you people seen the following bug report?

https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=5665

cheers,
--cyberjun
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

halfgaar wrote:
I have nvidia-drivers 1.0.8774, and I also had them with Xorg 7.0. In 7.0, I didn't have this DPMS issue. It came when I upgraded X.org.

Also, not really relevant to the subject, but my CTRL-ALT+/- keys work fine.

Yep, I also have a problem with X 7.1 and nvidia-8776 on amd64
Code:

$ xset q
Server does not have DPMS extension

although Xorg.log shows that both DPMS extension and the option to the server is loaded
(II) Loading extension DPMS
(**) NVIDIA(0): DPMS enabled

Same Xorg.conf worked fine with previous version, including, I believe X 7.0 and nvidia-8774
halfgaar
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure ACPI events are my problem, because when I force a DPMS mode, it stays there. It just doesn't want to time out into a DPMS mode. But, we'll see. I would seem that waiting for the appropriate upgrade is all I can do. I hope Nvidia 9629 becomes stable soon. I'd like to exerpiment with composite rendering.
asg719
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

halfgaar wrote:
I hope Nvidia 9629 becomes stable soon. I'd like to exerpiment with composite rendering.

Using Nvidia driver 9631 with xorg 7.1 on an AMD64 build and I am having this issue. I can force DPMS mode but it won't kick in by itself.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: