Very strange performance problem
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cybertronix
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:44 pm    Post subject: Very strange performance problem Reply with quote

Apologies in advance for the long post, but I have a lot of symptoms and I've tried quite a bit of stuff so I wanted to mention all of it.

I've recently started having some weird performance glitches in various games. For instance, Doom 3 engine games are hitching badly and even at 800x500 I can't sustain 60 fps. It runs exactly the same as at 1680x1050. UT 2004 last night was running as though it had a 50 fps cap because it wa sitting right at 50 no matter what I was doing or looking at. It wasn't doing this a short time ago and AFAIK I haven't messed with any settings. Wine games don't seem to be performing as well as they used to either (CS:S and Far Cry), but since that's Wine I can't say for sure what's at fault. There's definitely hitching in CS:S that's similar to what I was seeing elsewhere though. The only game I've tried where I haven't noticed any significant problems is Savage, but on my internet that game lags enough that I might just not have noticed it hitching.

The first time I noticed this was after a Wine and kernel upgrade to get Far Cry working, but even after reverting to my old kernel the problem remains (I didn't bother reverting Wine because that wouldn't affect Doom or UT). I'm also running the 9626 nVidia drivers, but the 8774 (and 9625) didn't solve the problem either. I've tried running stuff from TWM with nothing else running, but still no luck.

The only possible culprit that I've been able to find so far is my power supply. It's a Thermaltake that is strongly recommended against for my motherboard (heck, I might as well just list all of my hardware, the list is here - first system), and I noticed that something is running hot on my motherboard (not sure what because I'm pretty sure that they're mislabelled in lm-sensors), but looking in the BIOS I think it might be the PWM IC, which as I understand it regulates power for the motherboard. I'm replacing the PSU anyway because the fan controller cable just broke so now the fans run at full speed all the time, which on this thing is extremely loud. I'm just not sure that would be causing these symptoms. BTW, I did back off my overclock to stock, and it lowered my temps but the problem remains. Maybe something got fried already though. :?

I'm also getting a backtrace in dmesg resulting from an "IRQ handler type mismatch for IRQ 3". So far I haven't found anything about it though.

I've updated to the latest of all my software and done a revdep-rebuild to make sure I wasn't having any library problems.

I'm really stumped by this. The 7600 GT is pretty new, but I'm almost positive that it wasn't doing this when I first bought it. I played around with quite a few different settings and games just to see what kind of performance increase I would get out of it. The only possible correlation is that I seem to recall the framerates in Quake 4 being a bit inconsistent when I turned on AA, but now they're a problem even without AA. I can stare at one thing and my framerate will be anywhere from 60 down to 20 with no apparent logic to explain why.

Help!:(
xanas3712
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the problem may be with the widescreen resolution on quake4, because I have the same issue on my system with a widescreen 24" acer display. However, when I run in 1600x1200 (looks stretched) it seems to alleviate the problem (this is with a 7800 GT)

I had always noticed that under widescreen my performance was lower than my sister's 6600 GT system, which obviously didn't make sense even though she was running at a lower resolution (1280x1024) also.

UT2004 may have something to do with vsync, 50hz being something those widescreens are set near.

I'm not sure on the wine games though, I haven't played CS:S in linux yet to speak for it.
If the PSU can be an issue for this kind of thing it might be mine too, mine is an Antec but it's only 350 watt which is well under-powered for a 7800. I wouldn't think you should have such a problem with only the 7600 though, but who knows.

What do you get in glxgears by chance?
cybertronix
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xanas3712 wrote:
I think the problem may be with the widescreen resolution on quake4, because I have the same issue on my system with a widescreen 24" acer display. However, when I run in 1600x1200 (looks stretched) it seems to alleviate the problem (this is with a 7800 GT)

Hmm, I'll have to try that. I have an older 17" 4:3 running as a second monitor too (maybe TwinView is an issue? Not sure why it would have just showed up now) so I can try it at a normal res. Come to think of it, most of the time I was playing Doom and Quake before would have been on the old monitor, so maybe it's always been this way on the widescreen and I just didn't notice or chalked it up to a too-slow video card.

I wonder what could possibly be the reason for that though??? :?

Edit: Incidentally, I don't think SMP in Quake 4 works right for me. I've checked it with top and the quake4smp program never uses more than 100% CPU, while even CS in Wine will. Apparently Wine multi-threads somehow because I was consistently getting 150% CPU the other day. Or maybe top was just bugged.:)

Quote:
UT2004 may have something to do with vsync, 50hz being something those widescreens are set near.

Crap, I'll bet you're right. I've been messing with turning vsync on in different games since the new card and I'll bet I just randomly clicked it for UT at some point. I would have expected it to be 60 for vsync, but because of the dual monitor setup for some reason my refresh rate is stuck at 50 according to xrandr, so that makes sense now that you mention it. I probably jumped to the wrong conclusion here because of my other problems.

I'll have to check that in the other games too, although they don't behave exactly like this, but it might explain the wildly fluctuating framerates.

Quote:
I'm not sure on the wine games though, I haven't played CS:S in linux yet to speak for it.
If the PSU can be an issue for this kind of thing it might be mine too, mine is an Antec but it's only 350 watt which is well under-powered for a 7800. I wouldn't think you should have such a problem with only the 7600 though, but who knows.

Well, if the other issues go away then I probably won't worry too much about the Wine performance. It still does a pretty amazing job all things considered and I'm willing to trade a little bit of stuttering (which may just be the Source engine itself, and I did change a few settings in Far Cry, so maybe I just turned it up too high) to not have to dual boot. Besides, I get a lot of stares at LAN parties running CS:S in Linux, even back when it was running at single digit fps. At least now it's reasonably playable.:)

As for the power, I imagine a good 350 like that would run my system just fine, but all I've got right now are two 350's that came with cases, one of which I know won't run this system because it was in it until I started getting random crashes, and this 480W Thermaltake that is the example they use at DFI-Street of what not to buy. Wish I had known that when I bought it. Should have an OCZ 600 here tomorrow which will cover me if I decide to do EVGA's step up to G80 when it comes out (assuming the drivers support it in a timely fashion, which they may not).

Quote:
What do you get in glxgears by chance?

About 9000, which seems low to me considering that I think my 6600 GT got pretty close to that, but of course it's just glxgears.

Thanks a bunch for the suggestions. If even just the vsync in UT pans out I'll be much happier because with both that and Savage working it probably means I don't have a hardware issue.
Mad Merlin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cybertronix wrote:
Edit: Incidentally, I don't think SMP in Quake 4 works right for me. I've checked it with top and the quake4smp program never uses more than 100% CPU, while even CS in Wine will. Apparently Wine multi-threads somehow because I was consistently getting 150% CPU the other day. Or maybe top was just bugged.:)

Wine has wineserver as a separate process which handles things like IPC that the Windows kernel normally would for a Windows program. So yes, it's quite possible that you'll see Wine using >100% CPU on an SMP machine.
cybertronix
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mad Merlin wrote:
Wine has wineserver as a separate process which handles things like IPC that the Windows kernel normally would for a Windows program. So yes, it's quite possible that you'll see Wine using >100% CPU on an SMP machine.

That was the thing though, it wasn't wineserver that was using the CPU, it was just the hl2.exe process taking up more than 100% cpu all by itself. I guess maybe Wine runs some extra threads in the actual app process too.

Switching to a 4:3 resolution for Doom/Quake doesn't seem to have helped. Even at 1024x768 I was still not even close to keeping it at the framerate cap, even in areas that it should have been. The 50 fps limit in UT was gone last night, but I'm still not getting anywhere near the performance I should be. The numbers I'm getting now are barely better than what I was seeing on my 6600 GT, and I would swear that when I first got the 7600 it was running a good bit faster than this (min. 45 fps with 4x AA, now with AA it drops to the 20's and 30's like my 6600 did - and no, when I was swapping hardware I didn't just forget and leave the 6600 in there :)). It is at least playable, but I might even have to drop the resolution to keep the fps as high as I'd like so I still think there is a problem.

The new PSU is out for delivery, but I'm going to be gone all weekend so I won't get to install it until Sunday night at the earliest. I did discover last night that the reason my temps had gone up was that I had the side panel off my case so the fan in it wasn't blowing on the PWMIC like it normally does. Once I had put it back on my temps dropped back to where they were before.
cybertronix
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, new power supply same old problems. I'm still getting really bad framerate drops in Doom 3, even on the menu screen. At one point it was having long pauses every few seconds, but that may have been related to forgetting to remodprobe nvidia after recompiling it because of a kernel switch.

I did get rid of the IRQ error in dmesg by disabling some unnecessary stuff (the serial port was probably the culprit based on the stack trace), but that didn't help my problems.

I guess tonight I'm going to play with turning apic and lapic back on, but I'm not real confident that will help especially now that the IRQ conflict seems to be gone. Plus I seem to recall hearing that nForce4 boards have trouble with them which is why I turned them off in the first place.

BTW, is it normall to have th ERR line in /proc/interrupts be so large? I see that nvidia is sharing an interrupt with USB, but I don't know of a way to change that manually. Maybe a BIOS setting?
Code:
           CPU0       CPU1       
  0:    2558939    1605546          XT-PIC  timer
  2:          0          0          XT-PIC  cascade
  3:       4237        616          XT-PIC  NVidia CK804
  4:    1326173     847477          XT-PIC  eth0
  5:     851470     524372          XT-PIC  ohci_hcd:usb2, nvidia
  8:          2          0          XT-PIC  rtc
  9:          0          0          XT-PIC  acpi
 10:      32436      10946          XT-PIC  libata, ehci_hcd:usb1
 11:          0          3          XT-PIC  libata, ohci1394
 14:         46         28          XT-PIC  ide0
NMI:          0          0
LOC:    4164382    4164419
ERR:    7762014
MIS:          0

I've been meaning to run memtest86 too just in case. I haven't noticed any other instability, but you never know with memory problems.
bunder
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just a sidenote, i don't believe the SMP binaries work. i've run quake3 and et in smp mode but the game turns it off or says it wasn't enabled at compile time (or something heh)... can't say i've tried doom3, but i doubt it will work either.

banned from #gentoo since sept 2017
Mad Merlin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bunder wrote:
just a sidenote, i don't believe the SMP binaries work. i've run quake3 and et in smp mode but the game turns it off or says it wasn't enabled at compile time (or something heh)... can't say i've tried doom3, but i doubt it will work either.

The Quake 3 engine doesn't benefit very much from SMP.

The Doom 3 engine does benefit from SMP though, if you have a sufficiently fast video card that it isn't already the bottleneck. Mind you, There's no SMP version of Doom 3 yet, only Quake 4 (but that uses the Doom 3 engine).
cybertronix
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I don't really expect that I'm terribly CPU limited in any of these games. If I were I would just turn up AA/AF until I wasn't.:)

Tried turning back on apic and lapic, no effect. It got rid of the big number on the ERR line in /proc/interrupts, but even with nvidia having it's own IRQ there I still have problems.

I guess I'll run memtest overnight tonight and see if that finds anything. Otherwise I'm pretty much stumped. Suggestions? :?
cybertronix
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Memtest found nothing. I guess tonight I'm going to try an install of another distro to a spare partition to see if it's software or hardware related.
cybertronix
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it looks like this isn't Gentoo-specific. I was getting the same weird framerate drops in Mepis too. Guess maybe I should go hit up the nvidia forums and see what they have to say.

Incidentally, can someone tell me if this is normal?
http://www.nemebean.com/stuff/weirddoom3.png
The left side of the O is strange and there are black dots on the right side of the message box. I don't think those things should be there but it's kind of hard for me to test at this point.

Oh, and going from no AA to 4x 9-tap Gaussian only made a 4 fps difference (56-52) in the timedemo. Seems kind of small to me.
Mad Merlin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's possible that your video card is overheating and clocking itself down to prevent damage, that would explain the visual artifacts at least. Try adding more airflow over the card.
cybertronix
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was one of the first things that came to mind when I saw the artifacts, but according to the thermal monitor it's not even hitting 60C when I'm in a game and the throttling threshold is 115C. The other thing is that I'm almost positive that when I swapped the 6600 GT back in it did the same thing too, but that was working fine when I took it out. I guess I'll have to do some more card swapping to make sure.

But if it's not the card, and it doesn't seem to be the software, about the only thing left is the motherboard (again, this is eerily similar to what happened last year that prompted me to buy the motherboard I have now :evil: ) and that's the only thing that I can't easily eliminate as a culprit.
Mad Merlin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The power supply could also be faulty, or you're drawing more load than it can handle. Are you using the same power supply as you were with the old motherboard?
cybertronix
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I was. I actually just got a new one this week that can easily handle my system (OCZ GameXStream 600), but the old one was pretty frowned upon by DFI so I guess it's possible that it trashed something before I got rid of it.
kreamie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:21 am    Post subject: Bump Reply with quote

I have a strange problem as well. My ut2004 is capped at 50 fps. I've tried changing resolutions and all different kinds of settings such as vsync etc. My system specs are athlon xp 2800 1 gig pc2700 ram nvidia 6800 gfx card. My old ati card ran ut2k4 better than that. If anyone can tell me some things to try I'm open to any suggestions! Thanks.
cybertronix
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to check ~/.ut2004/System/UT2004.ini and make sure all the vsync options are off in there as well. I don't remember what they are all called but if you grep -i vsync it should show you all of them. Not sure how they would have gotten turned on if you didn't do it, but you never know. Particularly since I don't recall finding an in-game setting for vsync.

On the other hand, if I could keep it at 50 fps I'd be happy. My problem now is that my performance is maybe on par with my old 6600 GT. Oh well, I guess I'll just turn down the res for the LAN tonight since barring a miracle this isn't going to be resolved by then. Sometime I want to try the other PCI-E slot on my mobo too. I think it's running at only 2x, but I'm curious to see how it would perform anyway.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: