Broken packages are bad!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spicerun
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Broken packages are bad! Reply with quote

This is my second install of Gentoo on different machines in the past 2 weeks using the 2006.1 live cd in text (nox) mode. I was able to boot up the machine, but I ran universally into these 2 problems that I am sharing here (regardless if anybody agrees or not).

Gentoo's implementation of grub has a problem in finding the kernel on hd0,0 when hd0,0 is a SATA drive automatically. It will find it at the grub command prompt line, and seems to work with initrd images. When the kernel is on hd0,x where x > 0, then grub does work with the SATA drive. Grub does work fine on IDE/PATA disk drives.

Emerging gnome - libtool installed after an emerge system is broken, and causes many packages like jpeg and gtk+ to not compile correctly because of some --tag option problem. With a lot of coaxing, I finally got emerge to pull in an updated libtool which solved the problem.

Guys, broken portage or packages does nothing to keep people using Gentoo; it actually frustrates them enough to go somewhere else. Do I not keep reading on the forums that the developers aren't happy that fewer and fewer people are using and adopting Gentoo? I do know that more and more people bash gentoo because of little problems like this...when the install doesn't work. Plus why is it there is no understanding with anyone here in the forums or the developers that a Broken machine often means NO interconnection to the net to even get help from websites and forums?

Why not submit things nicely into the bug tracker? Simple...I don't like being yelled at and always being told its my fault exclusively, even when the bug found later had nothing to do with me. As it is, I'm sure I'll get yelled at enough here.
jmbsvicetto

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Installing Gentoo to Gentoo Chat.

[mod]Since you haven't asked specific questions about the installation, I've moved this thread to GC.[/mod]

FWIW, I can assure you that GRUB does indeed work on SATA with the kernel on (hd0,0). If you want to diagnose your problem, go to the sticky GRUB error thread in the IG forum.

Your twisted, but hopefully friendly daemon.
AMD64 / x86 / Sparc Gentoo
Help answer || emwrap.sh
K T A
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try using
Code:
revdep-rebuild
to fix broken libs and packages. If you did not do so in the past you have to
Code:
emerge gentoolkit
first.

KTA
vibrokatana
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have sata drives and never had issues. Maybe you can give a sample of the output, probably just a lockup?
Sachankara
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Broken packages are bad! Reply with quote

Spicerun wrote:
Gentoo's implementation of grub has a problem in finding the kernel on hd0,0 when hd0,0 is a SATA drive automatically.
Have you tried running another distribution on that computer? Did they work? If not, then it's probably just a piss-poor bios (like most of them are).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: