terminal display weirdness: alsamixer, mp3blaster look odd
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aitch
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject: terminal display weirdness: alsamixer, mp3blaster look odd Reply with quote

hello Gentoo users.
I've been having this problem ever since I installed amd64 Gentoo, that my terminal would render mp3blaster unusually and alsamixer unusable. I'm using unicode, so that could potentially be a problem, but if anyone recognises the problem shown below and could offer any advice, I'd be impressed - perhaps it's merely difficult to search for, but this seems unfairly obscure.
alsamixer
really have no idea what's wrong. both applications run fine in terminal emulators...
Antek Grzymala
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: terminal display weirdness: alsamixer, mp3blaster look o Reply with quote

aitch wrote:
hello Gentoo users.
I've been having this problem ever since I installed amd64 Gentoo, that my terminal would render mp3blaster unusually and alsamixer unusable. I'm using unicode, so that could potentially be a problem, but if anyone recognises the problem shown below and could offer any advice, I'd be impressed - perhaps it's merely difficult to search for, but this seems unfairly obscure.
alsamixer
really have no idea what's wrong. both applications run fine in terminal emulators...

I understand this is in a virtual console? If they look fine in your X-terminal then I suspect you may have a problem with your environment variables. Would you post the output of locale (as run from a VC), and the contents of your /etc/conf.d/consolefont?

You may want to compare it with the output of locale in your X-session.

[a]
Konsti
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realized having the same problem actually. alsamixer looks distorted in virtual console but fine in xterm.

Code:

LANG=en_US
LC_CTYPE="en_US"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US"
LC_TIME="en_US"
LC_COLLATE="en_US"
LC_MONETARY="en_US"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US"
LC_PAPER="en_US"
LC_NAME="en_US"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US"
LC_ALL=en_US

is my locale output in xterm and virtual console.
/etc/conf.d/consolefont:
Code:

CONSOLEFONT="default8x16"

Thats all...
Despite of that this is a 2006.1 amd64 profile either. My screen of alsamixer looks same despite of that it doesn't has these small squares.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: