View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ghetto
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know about Epiphany? Is it going to replace galeon?
Whats wrong with phoenix.. i love phoenix.

..but again i just have to ask.. WHY THE HECK ARE PEOPLE WRITTING BROWSERS!! WE ALREADY HAVE AT LEAST A HUNDRED OF THEM!

please.. please.. please.. just fix coaster, net-rhythmbox, and anjuta2
mb4guns
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghetto wrote:
Does anyone know about Epiphany? Is it going to replace galeon?

I truely hope Epiphany is going to replace galeon, there aiming at full gnome2 implentation and why not they have some time before 2.4 :)
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Split from another thread.
max_colby
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with Phoenix is that it will probably never be fully integrated into Gnome, or Gnome HIG compliant, as it uses XUL (an XML based toolkit the Mozilla team developed) for it's interface, not Gtk2. It's a great browser, but a nice lightweight Gnome browser has a definite audience

Epiphany will likely replace Galeon: Epiphany is being developed by the person who started Galeon, and has a great deal of support within the Gnome community because it is aiming to be an easy to use, fully Gnome 2 integrated browser. The bookmarking system is quite interesting, and they seem to be trying a few evolutionary things, rather than just cloning existing projects. Galeon is great though, it's my current browser. If I remember correctly, incredible stubborness of some Galeon over some trivial issues devs seemed to spur a fork of Galeon, and thus, Epiphany was created. It would be nice to see these two projects merged, or at least work together closely (Epiphany as the simple end user browser; Galeon as something a bit more advanced). Still though, there are plenty of good browsers out there, and having two Gnome browsers seems a bit much IMHO.

There may be a number of browsers but Mozilla, Firebird/Phoenix, Galeon, Epiphany, Camino share the same "guts." Konqueror and Safari share another set. They aren't necessarily out to kill eachother.
aethyr
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
..but again i just have to ask.. WHY THE HECK ARE PEOPLE WRITTING BROWSERS!! WE ALREADY HAVE AT LEAST A HUNDRED OF THEM!

Just to make note here, I doubt work on those projects are precluding work on coaster, net-rhythmbox, and anjuta2. The work of those developers on their browser doesn't prevent someone else from working on the three projects you mention.

People work on the projects they are interested in, I'm sure if someone's interested they will work on coaster, net-rhythmbox, or anjuta2.
lurid
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'd really be a shame the see Galeon replaced. I'm using 1.3.3 and I really like it. Sticking a 'galeon -s &' in your .xinitrc (or equivalent) makes the deal even sweeter with super fast load times. Mozilla is a beast of a program as anyone whos compiled it can tell you (and I'm talking without the aid of an ebuild). From what I've heard Mozilla is going to be replaced by Phoenix, which might cause problems for the Galeon team since it depends on Mozilla.. I dunno.

I never really cared for it back in the Gnome 1.4 days, but the GTK2/Xft version of Galeon is pretty much perfect. The only problem I have with it is the same problem that I have with all of the new Gnome theme scheme - GTK controls the core toolbar icons (forward, back, etc) and the default is pretty ugly.
ghetto
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aethyr wrote:
Quote:

Just to make note here, I doubt work on those projects are precluding work on coaster, net-rhythmbox, and anjuta2. The work of those developers on their browser doesn't prevent someone else from working on the three projects you mention.

People work on the projects they are interested in, I'm sure if someone's interested they will work on coaster, net-rhythmbox, or anjuta2.

I know.
But since you made a note, now i get to make one.

Is it silly to ask programmers to switch projects? I was more or less just trying to steer new programmers into projects that could really use help.

In an ideal opensource world we would all get to work on only things we enjoy all of the time.. but I think there are a couple realists out there who join projects and commit time and energy not because they love the project itself but because they see a need in the community.

To those hackers I would like to say "thank you" and also "please help coaster, net-rhythmbox, and anjuta2"

..and to new programmers who are looking for some way to prove themselves in the OS/FS community, and at the same time want to do something that will benifit thousands, please.. please.. dont look for a big flashy popular project. Instead try to find a project that is struggling along, something that _really_ needs help. You'll get far more recognition if you work for a small project and the work that you do will be far more valuble to the community
PARENA
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just upgraded from Galeon 1.2.9 to 1.3.4 and I'm loving it. Galeon is, for me, by far, the best browser around. Tabbing is important for me and Galeon has the best possibilities there. GTK2 support is a very nice bonus.

Small question, though: why does the scroll bar look like the default Mozilla one and not like the GTK2 theme? Small bug?
mb4guns
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

true but keep in mind that Epiphany will strike upon 2.4 ;)
PARENA
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PARENA wrote:
Small question, though: why does the scroll bar look like the default Mozilla one and not like the GTK2 theme? Small bug?

Should've searched before asking. It's changable in about:config but if you enable using the GTK2 scrollbar looks, you see why it's disabled by default. It flashes even when your not touching it and it's drawn very sluggish. Oh well, I'll hold out 'til they fix that then. :)
slougi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PARENA wrote:
PARENA wrote:

Should've searched before asking. It's changable in about:config but if you enable using the GTK2 scrollbar looks, you see why it's disabled by default. It flashes even when your not touching it and it's drawn very sluggish. Oh well, I'll hold out 'til they fix that then. :)

Yeah it is somewhat annoying but such a minor bug that it is not worth worrying about. The rest is sweeeeet :D
idl
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Epiphany and Galeon have two big flaws IMO,
1) They are not skinable
2) I dont like thier tab system, having a close button on each tab is a complete waste of space.. the Phoenix way is much better.
duff
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

port001 wrote:
1) They are not skinable
2) I dont like thier tab system, having a close button on each tab is a complete waste of space.. the Phoenix way is much better.

1. They aren't meant to. They are meant to be integrated into Gnome. If you wants skins, use a XUL-based browser.
2. That's big flaw? How small is your monitor if you can't spare 10 extra pixels per tab?
idl
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

duff wrote:
port001 wrote:
1) They are not skinable

1. They aren't meant to. They are meant to be integrated into Gnome. If you wants skins, use a XUL-based browser.
2. That's big flaw? How small is your monitor if you can't spare 10 extra pixels per tab?

I know they arent sposed to skinable.. but I see that as a downside.
As for the tabs.. I have a 19 icnh monitor @ 1600x1200 and yes the extra close button matters, it makes the UI look very clutered IMO.
panserg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

max_colby wrote:
The problem with Phoenix is that it will probably never be fully integrated into Gnome, or Gnome HIG compliant, as it uses XUL (an XML based toolkit the Mozilla team developed) for it's interface, not Gtk2. It's a great browser, but a nice lightweight Gnome browser has a definite audience.

I think it's rather the problem of Gnome that it uses Gtk2 instead of XUL.

XUL is a high-level language defining WHAT should be displayed and WHAT it should do. Gtk2 is C and as such it's all about HOW to do things with all those pointers, memory leaks and so on. I think that eventually Gtk will die (at least it must, IMO) while XUL, or similar high-level UI languages, will survive and evolve.
mb4guns
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well galeon and epiphany are made to fit-in-the-desktop and your desktop si themable... Gnome is the furture of gtk2 and in my eyes also the furture of linux, now plz don't go flameme on this since it is really a opinion and not (jet) a fact.
MathFreak
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

port001 wrote:

I know they arent sposed to skinable.. but I see that as a downside.
As for the tabs.. I have a 19 icnh monitor @ 1600x1200 and yes the extra close button matters, it makes the UI look very clutered IMO.

While I agree that they add a somewhat cluttered look to the browser, I prefer the option of not having to switch to a tab to close it. I also prefer a browser with a more integrated look. And that's why there are so many browsers. Different people like different things.
ghetto
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The perfect browser would give you a choice of using native gtk2 theming and also a choice of "tab-close" button placement, ie on tabes, or sigle location.

I prefer single location too.. i dont mind switching to the page before I close it because I usually like to see what the page is before I close it for sure anyway.

Epiphany is going to have to be pretty darn good if its going to replace my phoenix. I dont like Galeon, its always seemed really slugish when rendering pages compared to phoenix.

I do like Galeons daemon feature. I hope that gets incorporated in Epiphany. I also hope that Epiphany gets a truckload of features thrown into gconf to play with.
max_colby
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghetto wrote:

I do like Galeons daemon feature. I hope that gets incorporated in Epiphany. .

It already is - put the following in xinitrc:
Code:

epiphany -sd &
ghetto
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok i guess since i started this thread i should at least have epiphany emerged.. ho hum..

emerge epiphany -s

~snip~
Size of downloaded files: 954 kB
~snip

HOLY CRAP THATS TINY!!
is it a complete application? or just a toy?!? :D thats amazing.. i guess most of the code is prolly the gecko engine which is just linked to, but still thats awesomely small.
lurid
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea of Gnome is to present a unified desktop enviroment. This means that everything looks the same and feels the same, no matter which program your using. Basing Galeon on GTK is done so that the browser looks like the rest of your desktop. It *is* skinable, in so far as Gnome itself is skinable. The idea was to get away from every program looking different and every program being themed in its own way. Personally, I like that it uses GTK.

I can remember way back when the hoard of Aqua themes first came on the scene. I had a beautiful desktop that looked exactly like a Mac.. until I opened a browser. But now, I can theme my desktop and make it look exactly the way I want it to and I know that every program I use will conform to the look I've specified. I think this is a Good Thing. Its what the Gnome folks have been working towards for a long time.

As for the close button.. I feel its a good feature I don't want removed. Why? For one simple reason: Open popup windows in a new tab. Yup, go to a site (angelfire) and have all the popups open in tabs.. its non-ubtrusive, they don't interrupt what you're doing and best of all, you can close them without even having to look at them. Whats the point of having it open if a tab if you've still got to click on it and view the ad to get rid of it?
ghetto
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally understand about gnome and unification. I believe unification is good too.

But I dont mind a few apps looking a bit different, especially if those apps are something special like my webbrowser because first of all:its kind of hard to find a theme that is good for every possible application, and secondly because I just like having the ability to change the way "certain" apps look.

Here is a screenshot of phoenix side by side with ephiphany.
Both browsers are using the bitstream fonts... and I put nautilus and gedit in the picture to represent unification.

Now someone might look at that and say "epiphany is better" ..and I must admit that i do like epiphany, and I do like unification, but I also like the phoenix theme that Im using right now (its called coffee if anyone cares).

I like being able to change _just_ the way my browser looks and I would be upset if that was completely taken away from me.

But on a side note i really think that my screenshot captures a lot of information. Firstly, I didnt realize that both browsers take up exactly the same amount of vertical space when toolbars and tabs are open.
...although I think that this space issue if very dependant upon which XUL theme and which GTK+-2 theme the user is currently sporting.

I also didnt know that both browsers take up the same amount of vertical space for the bottom status bar. Thats really interesting too..

The html seems a bit more squished in the phoenix window, but thats prolly just because they are not the same width.. I wasnt anal enough to measure them. :)

meh.. (yawn).. both browsers are cool.. meh.. and thats all i have to say about that for now.
mb4guns
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

epiphany has a damm good cache handling on automatic....

(just to strike in another way insteed of looks only)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: