Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
A misunderstanding between tallship and bsolar
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tallship
n00b
n00b

Location: On the Beaches of Super Sunny Southern California - San Clemente

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 4:12 pm    Post subject: A misunderstanding between tallship and bsolar Reply with quote

EDIT: Old title 'Threatened by moderator "BSOLAR"'. - pjp

Hello, in response to my post below regarding the sticky topic related to the portage problems hosing some systems:

"Has this problem been corrected yet? It would be a shame for me to enter a Gentoo box into production and have these issues plaguing my customers.

Considering the plethora of security advisories that are constantly released with various apps and daemons it would really be nice to merely run ermerge and update a package, but I'm a bit skittish about installing a gentoo box if things are going blow up whenever I try to do that.

I'm a stalwart slackware and BSD kinda guy and I'm used to upgrading manually, but gentoo could make things even easier than FreBSD and that's something that is VERY appealing."

I was threatened by a moderator with by the nick of "BSOLAR".

He incinuated that I was a troll, and told me not to address this issue again. I find this kind of behaviour inexcusable and further, censorship vy way of blackmail is no way to improve upon or debug a product - it's very Microsoftian IMHO.

His private message to me was completely unacceptable, and considering that my one post to this community addressing what I consider to be a legitimate and critical matter was rebuked with threats not to do it again, I can't help but wonder if anyone else has been attacked by this individual.

I personally like the gentoo distribution very much, have contributed monetarily toward it's continued development, and have legitimate conerns about portage problems when I'm preparing to enter gentoo boxes into production at my facilities.

I don't think that such concerns are either trivial nor inappropriate, and if anyone else here has been threatened by this list bully, "BSOLAR", I would certainly like to hear about it. you can email me privately and even directly if you would like to remain anonymous.

In closing, I would like to state that this post should in no way reflect upon my interest in the gentoo distribution nor do I think that it should dissuade anyone else from testing and/or adopting the distro if they find it meets their needs and philosophy of how a system should be assembled.

My beef is with the blackmailer himself.
darktux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are very serious acusations....

Could you post the PM?

www.tuxslare.org - My reborn website :P
bsolar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Portage & Programming.

BTW if you ckeck the first PM I sent you you'll notice from the subject that I was referring to a different thread, this one.

I tought you did that (the post in the French forum) on purpose to provoke (as the french tought) I am sorry about that, but still I don't think I "threatened you".

Here's my PM
bsolar wrote:

Hi,

It might be that you are just a troll, in any case posting inappropriate things is against the rules of these forums.

Please don't do that again.

Title was 'Testing...', the title of your post. Next time I'll post the link...

PS: BTW I personally am against ANY form of censorship, definately. :?
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see any threats here, only some misunderstandings.

Things started with your post in the French forums. Why did you post there, if were not posting in French? You should at least read the Forum description before posting there (pjp also said the same thing). My first thought when I saw your post there was that you were some American guy (by your location) trying to piss off the Frenchs.

bsolar's message was certainly not regarding your concerns about Gentoo. Moderators are not part of a thought police. We just keep the forums running smooth, without flame wars and similar stuff. If you want to express a technical opinion based on facts, you're going to find a place here.
tallship
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bsolar wrote:
Moved from Portage & Programming.

BTW if you ckeck the first PM I sent you you'll notice from the subject that I was referring to a different thread, this one.

I tought you did that (the post in the French forum) on purpose to provoke (as the french tought) I am sorry about that, but still I don't think I "threatened you".

ah...

Hm... well I owe you an apology, and I certainly accept yours. This is definately a misunderstanding. I just got back in from the field and it seems we were both mistaken.

No, I don't have any political grudges against French people :) First of all, when I signed up for the board I needed, as many people do, a test forum to post a couple of messages (which were actually well marked as "test" and "go ahead and delete these these are tests". I couldn't find a 'test' forum. So in an attempt to keep clutter and off topic posts to a minimum I scrolled down and arbitrarily chose a low volume forum off the beaten path to post my test messages.

I probably subconciously, and inadvertantly, chose the French forum because it's my third fav language (after English and Latin) - I studied French for three years at UCSD when I was there (unfortunately I've lost the ability to still converse in French due to lack of practice during the past decade).

Since the only REAL post I made was concerning portage related items, I simply presumed that this was what you were refering to. Again, you have my sincerest apologies bsolar :oops:

I have taken the time to track down my test posts and follow the threads however, and must also say that I am saddened - and indeed deeply concerned on another level - that our French speaking members could/would take such an obvious test post as derogatory and interpret political undertones as the motive for my having made the post in question.

I had no idea that there were such deep defensive emotions regarding a completely separate political issue, regardless of why they actually do exist.

I certainly harbor none of the ideas or apparent resentment that seems to be bantering back and forth, yet I nevertheless feel that there is nothing which should be said on the matter to attempt a healing because in my experience, anytime people engage in dialog wrt political, racial, or religious issues neither side seems to get their point accross without it being mis-construed and both parties just seem to come away from the conversation more angry and confused than before.

I am, however, truly sorry that what still appears to me as an obviously labled and innocent post could in anyway be interpreted otherwise. There are clearly injured feelings out there and someone, somewhere needs to bandage them so they can heal - I am not that person though, since after all, I'm just a frickin propellerhead ;)

For the record though, I will say that my strong feelings lie with the state of the American economy and not with the political atmosphere, and I didn't vote for the bonehead in office whose finger is on the red button anyway - I voted for the guy who would have set aside more national forests and addressed global warming in a real way.

Finally, if I might make a suggestion..... ;)

It was not immediately apparent to me that the "Off the Wall" forum was a place where one should post test messages. I kind of delineate between 'off topic' chatter and 'test messages' with the former actually being a form of constructive conversation of some sort, while the latter is merely extra bytes undeserving of the space it requires on tape ;)

So I would offer and suggest that a board named "test" is a good idea, since it was the string that I was actually looking for in the first place and I'm convinced that many others prolly look for that sort of string as well.

Kindest regards,

Bradley.
tallship
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloody Bastard wrote:
I don't see any threats here, only some misunderstandings.

Yes, and it is unfortunate that it got blown out of proportion. Please read my post above.

Quote:
You should at least read the Forum description before posting there (pjp also said the same thing).

Yes you are correct. My apologies, and please pass on my regards to pjp as well.

Quote:
My first thought when I saw your post there was that you were some American guy (by your location) trying to piss off the Frenchs.

Not at all. There's enough crap out there as it is without us geeks flaming each other for the crimes of politicians - ALL.... Politicians.

Quote:
bsolar's message was certainly not regarding your concerns about Gentoo. Moderators are not part of a thought police. We just keep the forums running smooth, without flame wars and similar stuff. If you want to express a technical opinion based on facts, you're going to find a place here.

Thank you for the welcome :) I really like gentoo too by the way :)
bsolar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if I don't like to have been accused of such serious (and not true) things in a public way (even if I don't have anything to hide), I consider this issue closed.
Jimbow
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest that someone modify the subject line of the original post on this thread to include [SOLVED -- misunderstanding], otherwise it will distract people (like me) for no good reason.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well then, that seems to resolve this issue.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: