Accel Driver for Impact? Any time soon?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pliablemammal
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:36 am    Post subject: Accel Driver for Impact? Any time soon? Reply with quote

I've been poking around on google and I found a few sites from 1998 or 2002 that have some patches for an accellerated X server driver for the impact, but looking on the Xorg CVS it seems that these are possibly outdated. Does anyone out there know how to go about either extracting stuff off of IRIX if it will work? (For that matter, can mips-linux execute some of the IRIX stuff like early slackware could execute BSD/BSDI binaries?)

I would love to have my display going a little faster since I have one of the MXI framebuffers, and a secondary Impact card on my Octane.

This thing runs a lot better than IRIX ever did, no matter what those Nek-ro-chan guys say... :twisted:
Redhatter
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ummm... accelerated Impact? Come again? ;-)

It's a nice thought, but unfortunately, nobody able to disclose the details publically, knows how the geometry engine in IMPACT works. Which is a shame, because almost everything else works.

As for running IRIX stuff: on 32-bit kernels, there was the option of enabling IRIX binary compatibility. This allowed one to execute binaries for IRIX 5.3 -- very simple ones. The level of emulation provided, was not sufficient for packages like Xsgi, as critical functions were missing. In short, it was next to useless.

If you know something we don't though... please... do share. :-) I'm happy to be corrected on this matter (as on any matter).

Gentoo/MIPS Cobalt developer, Mozilla herd member.
Pliablemammal
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: actually.... Reply with quote

as far as IRIX 6.4/6.5 compat goes.... does this help? I think the NetBSD guys got something sort of working. In the Slackware 1.0 distro you could run BSD stuff on X86 Linux/BSD file system... But this seems even better.

I stumbled on this interesting article here:
(It's actually about running IRIX on NetBSD)

http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2002/08/08/irix.html

Does this help at all? Could you mod your linux kernel with the source from NetBSD and the libraries from IRIX 6.5 if you have an IRIX box?
Redhatter
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome to try... I personally don't have the knowhow... and those who do... don't seem interested in getting IRIX compat going.

Otherwise we'd have fully functioning IRIX 5.x support. ;-)

Gentoo/MIPS Cobalt developer, Mozilla herd member.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: