Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
is it possible to provide "X11 font server" service ?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
legacy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:26 pm    Post subject: is it possible to provide "X11 font server" servic Reply with quote

hi
i've got an old powerbook G3 which i'd like to use to provide X11 font server to other machines, is it possible to do that ?
for example i have a remote machine running Wolfram Mathematica which requires a specific set of fonts
and the problem is that if you use Mathematica from a remote session (ssh remote machine, export DISPLAY=local_machine:0.0)
you need to install such a fund set locally, and this is exactly what i'd like to avoid !

i'd prefer to have an other remote machine (the powerbook G3/gentoo, for example) which provide such a fonts in case of need

is it possible ?
srs5694
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but maybe no.

There is a tool known as the X font server (xfs), which does precisely what you want. The trouble is that server-side fonts generally, and xfs specifically, are deprecated. I just checked, and my Gentoo installation doesn't seem to have xfs installed, and I don't see any obvious packages for installing it. (Note that there's also a filesystem called XFS. There are too many collisions on these TLAs!)

If the programs that need these fonts use server-side X fonts, you might be able to track down the xfs source code, build a server, and use it as originally intended. Most modern programs, however, have moved on to client-side fonts (provided by Xft or other tools), and so won't work with xfs. From your description, it sounds like Mathematica might still be using server-side fonts, so using xfs might do the job for you; but this might change if Wolfram has an update in the works. It might be worth asking them about this detail.
nephros
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The easiest route would probably be a NFS or SMB mount to the client and load the fonts from there.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: