minimalist kernel configs imac g4
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cartman4000
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:46 am    Post subject: minimalist kernel configs imac g4 Reply with quote

Hiya
I have tried compiling multiple kernel configs, and none of them work. I refuse to give up and use genkernel.
It always gets up to the same part in the boot process, openrc (in green writing) then mounting the partitions and bangthe screen is black.
Does anybody have an imac g4 with gentoo running with xorg?

If so could you please post the config up here.
If not could anyone tell me what i have done wrong?

I have an nVidia GeForce 4 MX with 32 MB of DDR SDRAM (15"). nVidia GeForce FX 5200 Ultra with 64 MB of DDR SDRAM
256 MB of PC2700 (333 MHz) DDR SDRAM, and a 1.25GHz powerpc.

Thank you
cartman4000
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:56 am    Post subject: video=ofonly Reply with quote

I also have append"video=ofonly"
in yaboot.conf
limn
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you come by these configs you have tried?

I have worked on a minimalist config for a G3 by starting with "make defconfig" and then removing unused modules and settings. Once there was a kernel change that caused me to start over again.

Looking at your yaboot.conf, I wonder if you want hdX specifiers
Code:
< > ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL support (DEPRECATED)  --->

or sdX specifiers.
Code:
<*> Serial ATA and Parallel ATA drivers  --->

On a New World Mac for device=, I have the OF device specifier. I.e.
Code:
device=/pci@f2000000/pci-bridge@d/mac-io@7/ata-4@1f000/disk@0:
b0nafide
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just so happens I just finished dealing with this problem. The nouveau module turns the screen black because it doesn't play well with the open firmware framebuffer. Don't worry, just make sure you have ssh access and finish X that way. Once X loads with the nouveau driver you're good to go. There is probably a modesetting problem here somewhere but I don't mind a few seconds of black screen. If you need to see every step of the boot process as it happens, blacklist nouveau and work with the open firmware framebuffer instead. Cheers :)
b0nafide
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

also pics
b0nafide
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

finally, on the crappy old A1065 iMac G4 I had the time to experiment with "video=nouveau" with or without the "nomodeset" option and it works as expected as long as you don't mind a horrible low-color palette in X.

A compromise is to use the "video=ofonly" option and only load the nouveau module just before X instead of allowing udev to load it. Something like:

/etc/modprobe.d/nouveau.conf wrote:
blacklist nouveau

/etc/local.d/90startx.start wrote:
modprobe -a nouveau
su youruser -c startx &

Kind of silly though because there is probably a way to tell udev to leave the video driver alone. I just haven't looked into that.
b0nafide
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, here's a 3.10.25 SMP kernel for the A1065 iMac G4

Networking is ok. Video looks ok. Sound, specifically snd-aoa is ok after a minor battle with pulseaudio (it doesn't have to be a system-wide instance for my purposes). Various usb devices are ok as well as ieee1394.

Open firmware and yaboot are not in agreement in some way about booting from usb or firewire just yet (although mkofboot -v completes without error with what appears to be the correct open firmware paths and with the rootdelay=10 parameter), so my root file system is still attached to a legacy IDE controller which is not really ideal, but a root file system on firewire400, usb2 or nfs should certainly be possible (edit: maybe I'll try grub2)!

This is not the most minimal configuration possible of course but I aimed to support all the hardware on a A1065 G4. The usual disclaimer: if it breaks, sorry about that, but I'm just a monkey on a kernel-source-tree. Maybe there are subtle variations in the A1065 that could cause problems. In other words, perhaps I've enabled "CONFIG_BREAK_YOUR_PARTICULAR_COMPUTER=y" by accident. I'm learning as I do this and I hope I might help other hobbyists, who will probably just proceed with the usual caution and use genkernel ;)

pastebin goodness
b0nafide
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After some knashing of teeth I have discovered that the kernel config I posted will be frustrating to users interested in qemu-kvm. KVM will be unset until SMP is disabled. Thought I would mention it just in case.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: