Gentoo on Intel-Based Mac
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nomuus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:01 pm    Post subject: Gentoo on Intel-Based Mac Reply with quote

http://www.pcauthority.com.au/feature.aspx?CIaFID=1392&CIPseq=1

&

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1939064,00.asp

These articles are dated, but it got me wondering about Mac's. I wonder if anyone did a comparison with a Gentoo PC with similar specs? All technical details about the two systems aside, just two similar systems...I wonder if the Mac Intel outperformed the PC Intel.

I can see the commercials now...

"Hello, I am a Gentoo Mac" "...and I am a Gentoo PC" :D

This furthers my curiosity...

Gentoo on an 8-core Mac Pro? Okay, so I have been a little Mac crazy lately. 8O

Look out, the Mac vs. PC power struggle!! They should have an episode of MxC with the Mac users vs. the PC users, "don't get eliminated!!!"

Okay, where is my mind??? I've forgotten.
Aurora
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
These articles are dated, but it got me wondering about Mac's. I wonder if anyone did a comparison with a Gentoo PC with similar specs? All technical details about the two systems aside, just two similar systems...I wonder if the Mac Intel outperformed the PC Intel.

An Intel Mac is really just a PC. ;)

I have a friend who runs Gentoo on his Mini and it's pretty nifty. The machine is tiny and quiet, so I'm all for it. I may end up doing something similar in the future. :)
nomuus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

You are right, but the Intel Mac has a custom motherboard made specifically for Apple. I haven't looked into to it much, but what if the design is more, dare I say, stable? We are more than likely shaving hairs, but this is Gentoo for crying out loud.
Aurora
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomuus wrote:
Quote:

You are right, but the Intel Mac has a custom motherboard made specifically for Apple. I haven't looked into to it much, but what if the design is more, dare I say, stable? We are more than likely shaving hairs, but this is Gentoo for crying out loud.

Sure it's possible. But if it were, somehow, a better mobo design, I imagine the potential speed increase would be so tiny it would be difficult to measure and impossible to tell in day-to-day usage. :D

Either way, their hardware is very nice. Even the Mac Pro is a nice machine, admittedly. And like I said, the Mac Mini is a very tiny and quiet machine -- perfect for sticking in a corner as a (very cheap) server. :)
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomuus wrote:
but the Intel Mac has a custom motherboard made specifically for Apple.

Well, what should be special there compared to the average Asus/MSI/Foxcon/(etc.)-built Intel-mainboard? Except for the EFI-BIOS, of course. Speaking of hardware, the Intel Mac is really just another PC-design. A good one, though, ignoring its various issues after launch.
Aurora
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

genstorm wrote:
nomuus wrote:
but the Intel Mac has a custom motherboard made specifically for Apple.

Well, what should be special there compared to the average Asus/MSI/Foxcon/(etc.)-built Intel-mainboard? Except for the EFI-BIOS, of course. Speaking of hardware, the Intel Mac is really just another PC-design. A good one, though, ignoring its various issues after launch.

Concurred...and Apple does have some serious v1.0 problems with many of their products (iPods, their computer hardware, etc.). I tend to avoid their brand new products for that reason.
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intel Macs are just overpriced PCs... If you want a Mac clone get a Lian-Li V2000 Plus II case and the usual Intel PC hardware, at least you have the option to get a black case as well... Linux doesn't play nice with EFI just yet, nor should it imo, projects like LinuxBIOS are far better replacements.
bssteph
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

... but despite whatever misgivings people have towards EFI, grub and lilo can boot the GPT/MBR hybrid partitions that an updated OS X writes when used in tandem with rEFIt, and elilo can boot EFI-based systems. And if you're not using OS X, you can just use your standard everyday MBR-based partition table.

I can't speak for all of the Intel machines, but MacBook/MacBook Pro support is pretty far along. I dual boot with my Core Duo MacBook, everything is fine except battery life isn't as good as it is in OS X (and that's after playing around with various battery saving techniques), suspend to RAM can be a bit funny, and lm_sensors is mostly useless, if there are actually any sensors in the thing in the first place.

Read the Gentoo Wiki page, the page itself is kind of a mess but pretty helpful.
Aurora
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bssteph wrote:
... but despite whatever misgivings people have towards EFI, grub and lilo can boot the GPT/MBR hybrid partitions that an updated OS X writes when used in tandem with rEFIt, and elilo can boot EFI-based systems. And if you're not using OS X, you can just use your standard everyday MBR-based partition table.

I can't speak for all of the Intel machines, but MacBook/MacBook Pro support is pretty far along. I dual boot with my Core Duo MacBook, everything is fine except battery life isn't as good as it is in OS X (and that's after playing around with various battery saving techniques), suspend to RAM can be a bit funny, and lm_sensors is mostly useless, if there are actually any sensors in the thing in the first place.

Read the Gentoo Wiki page, the page itself is kind of a mess but pretty helpful.

I've run across a couple of OS X utilities that read various sensors in the MBP. I imagine the sensors are there; whether or not lm_sensors can use the sensors is another story. :)

I concur with your comment about the MBP being a pretty nice laptop. I love mine. The only other laptop I would consider purchasing is a Thinkpad.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: