Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Will Gentoo go the Iceweasel way or we don't have that prob?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marcion
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hilarious Sooty picture by the way.

Naib wrote:
Debian want to add custom-patches (rather then waiting for them to be integrated into the next release)

Hold on there, patching a package is what Linux Distros do, it is what Linux distros are for. Most distros patch every one of the major applications to be more integrated with their system. It is a good thing!

Even Gentoo (a 'meta-distro'), which leaves many packages vanilla-looking, still patches a large number of packages to make them work with portage or for other technical reasons.

If we say that Mozilla can prevent us from patching the code then it is a fast dive down the slippery slope, leading to something rather like the old Unix systems or indeed Windows.
Gergan Penkov
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:

Debian want to add custom-patches (rather then waiting for them to be integrated into the next release) IF they do that then the code that they are compiling is no longing the code that Mozilla assigns to the trademark and logo which is the firefox logo

ergo, the Mozilla foundation are well within their rights and are doing things correctly, Debian are being ass-hats
IF a patch that debian create (for their version) causes a gaping security hole, it is fair that Mozilla-Firefox gets the bad press for it? NO

As long as Debian keep feeding their patch's back to Mozilla and a fork doesn't occur then let it be

Well I'll give you a simple instruction set to see how much mozilla cares about the QA and security, remove the following lines from the mozilla-firefox ebuild:
Code:
        # Apply our patches
        cd ${S} || die "cd failed"
        EPATCH_SUFFIX="patch" \
        EPATCH_FORCE="yes" \
        epatch ${WORKDIR}/patch

# Fix a compilation issue using the 32-bit userland with 64-bit kernel on
        # PowerPC, because with that configuration, it detects a ppc64 system.
        # -- hansmi, 2005-11-13
        if use ppc && [[ "${PROFILE_ARCH}" == ppc64 ]]; then
                sed -i -e "s#OS_TEST=\`uname -m\`\$#OS_TEST=${ARCH}#" \
                        ${S}/configure
                sed -i -e "s#OS_TEST :=.*uname -m.*\$#OS_TEST:=${ARCH}#" \
                        ${S}/security/coreconf/arch.mk
        fi

WANT_AUTOCONF="2.1" \
                eautoreconf || die "failed  running eautoreconf"

and re-digest, now go ahead and build your QA/secure firefox.
You'll not be able to do it, it is that simple (not to speak that if it is to be built in this magic way, it would not be possible to build any other package against it).
Be glad you finally walked away or you may have not lived another day."
Godsmack
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcion wrote:

If we say that Mozilla can prevent us from patching the code then it is a fast dive down the slippery slope, leading to something rather like the old Unix systems or indeed Windows.

Mozilla are not saying that Debian (or any other distro) cannot patch the codebase, what they are saying is IF you apply your own patchset you cannot use the registered trademark & logo since that only valid for firefox code released by Mozilla

IF debian patch the firefox code it is no longer the code that has a logo against now is it

so since we have assertained that this patched codebase is not "firefox" as what Mozilla have trademarked and put a logo against then how the Fuck can Debian expect to use the logo?
Gergan Penkov
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they (debian and ubuntu) do not use the logo, they use only the name and this seems to make the mozillas even more angry :)
Godsmack
floffe
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The name is still trademarked...
abhay
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gergan Penkov wrote:
Well I'll give you a simple instruction set to see how much mozilla cares about the QA and security, remove the following lines from the mozilla-firefox ebuild:

You are not even building stuff in a normal environment. 32bit user land and 64bit kernel? How many users in this world run that kind of setup? If you are doing something weird with your setup...you are supposed to be responsible for the repercussions or failure to compile. You can't blame QA for that. Try going to mplayer with bugs and tell them you came from Gentoo...you will know...:lol:
abhay
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
Mozilla are not saying that Debian (or any other distro) cannot patch the codebase, what they are saying is IF you apply your own patchset you cannot use the registered trademark & logo since that only valid for firefox code released by Mozilla.

Actually they don't want to restrict usage of branding either. They are just saying that show us the patches, let our QA be assured that what ever is applied to original code is up to the mark so that the quality associated with Firefox stays intact. As far as name and logo is concerned, they just want both of them to be used together or none at all. That is how branding works...you can't name a product something and use some other logo. If someone tomorrow starts distributing Debian with XYZ logo...will they allow it? I wonder...
Gergan Penkov
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just look at these two bugs https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=305185 and https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=304655
and after probably you will understand what I'm talking about. None of them is fixed in 1.5 branch.
Godsmack
dleverton
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

abhay wrote:
You are not even building stuff in a normal environment. 32bit user land and 64bit kernel? How many users in this world run that kind of setup?

That's fairly normal on most 64-bit arches, AFAIK.
Gergan Penkov
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

abhay wrote:
Naib wrote:
Mozilla are not saying that Debian (or any other distro) cannot patch the codebase, what they are saying is IF you apply your own patchset you cannot use the registered trademark & logo since that only valid for firefox code released by Mozilla.

Actually they don't want to restrict usage of branding either. They are just saying that show us the patches, let our QA be assured that what ever is applied to original code is up to the mark so that the quality associated with Firefox stays intact. As far as name and logo is concerned, they just want both of them to be used together or none at all. That is how branding works...you can't name a product something and use some other logo. If someone tomorrow starts distributing Debian with XYZ logo...will they allow it? I wonder...

How long was the gentoo official branding saga?
How many forum threads are there about firefox being extremely slow?
Now add this to the fact that firefox could not be compiled without patches.
And actual question is, do you want to wait a year in order to use reliably a browser, I for one do not want - that's why opensource exists in the first place, so I'd better use iceweasel and leave our, debian and other distribution mantainers to patch the thing without hassle and without the great mozilla foundation peaking behind their shoulder.
Godsmack
abhay
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gergan Penkov wrote:
And actual question is, do you want to wait a year in order to use reliably a browser, I for one do not want - that's why opensource exists in the first place, so I'd better use iceweasel and leave our, debian and other distribution mantainers to patch the thing without hassle and without the great mozilla foundation peaking behind their shoulder.

I understand your point but you don't understand Mozilla's. Do you?
Yes you are right that it is essential for distro maintainers to patch the source but if Mozilla makes exception for distro developers then they loose their trademark claims in any future cases. It is unacceptable to them. You want them to loose all claims on their trademark?

Also as I said earlier, even if Mozilla tried to make an exception for Debian and fellow distros it will be unacceptable for Debian.
marcion
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dleverton wrote:
abhay wrote:
You are not even building stuff in a normal environment. 32bit user land and 64bit kernel? How many users in this world run that kind of setup?

That's fairly normal on most 64-bit arches, AFAIK.

If you do not do this then you cannot have all the 32-bit only crap, i.e. Java, Flash, Win32codecs or whatever else.
marcion
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:

Mozilla are not saying that Debian (or any other distro) cannot patch the codebase, what they are saying is IF you apply your own patchset you cannot use the registered trademark & logo since that only valid for firefox code released by Mozilla

Well, again almost all the most important packages in all the major distros are patched. So we call everything new names, that will get very confusing very fast.

However, maybe trademarks, like patents, do not fit into free/open-source software which uses Copyright as its native/default means of permission and protection. So if everyone acts the same way as Mozilla then we may have to rename everything once to non-trademarkable names.

BTW, in the UK, 'Firefox' the trademark is owned by some other company, does not mean we cannot use Firefoox the web browser.

Last edited by marcion on Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not saying that Mozilla are in the right for trademarking it in the first place
What I am saying is since it is trademarked they are in the right for what they are doing and Debian are just being childish
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

basically debian are spitting their dummy out because everyone doesn't act the same way that they do
Carlo
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcion wrote:
However, maybe trademarks, like patents, do not fit into free/open-source software which uses Copyright as its native/default means of permission and protection.

Wrong. It's about protecting a name. The software is and remains free.

marcion wrote:
So if everyone acts the same way as Mozilla then we may have to rename everything once to non-trademarkable names.

Don't say so... :roll: Guess what would happen, if you'd violate the Gentoo trademark. Even FOSS projects not holding a trademark consider name-grabbing as offensive and dislike (strongly) deviating, patched versions of their code within distro releases, as it comes back to them via bug reports and they don't have a clue what's going on then and naturally don't have an interest to support that. You're better off to give your fork a name in any case.
abhay
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcion wrote:
However, maybe trademarks, like patents, do not fit into free/open-source software which uses Copyright as its native/default means of permission and protection. So if everyone acts the same way as Mozilla then we may have to rename everything once to non-trademarkable names.

I don't see two of the giants in Linux Distro world i.e. Fedora & Novell having any kind of problem with this thing. Its just Debian that want to be so picky about everything...
nklb
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't the firefox sourcecode released under the GPL (If it's a different licence like BSD, then my argument doesn't hold up)

If so, wouldn't the fact that their trademarked term "firefox" appears IN the source code, under the GPL, invalidate the fact that it is "trademarked" and allow anyone to use it in whatever patches they want?
renrutal
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nklb wrote:
Isn't the firefox sourcecode released under the GPL (If it's a different licence like BSD, then my argument doesn't hold up)

Code:
*  www-client/mozilla-firefox
      (...)
      License:     MPL-1.1 NPL-1.1

That needs a bit of an update, it's actually tri-licensed.

nklb wrote:
If so, wouldn't the fact that their trademarked term "firefox" appears IN the source code, under the GPL, invalidate the fact that it is "trademarked" and allow anyone to use it in whatever patches they want?

Uh, no. Basically the law of copy rights and the law of trade marks are two completely different things. Same with the intelectual property laws.

In open source licences, you agree to let everyone copy, modify and redistribute your works, as long they share the same license. However, this will never take out the initial copyrights and intelectual property from the original authors. On the other hand, more authors will be added to the copyrights and IP, making the work more public. In the end, most of the time, everyone is represented by one entity. In Gentoo's case is the Gentoo Foundation, Inc..

It is indeed a legalese hell, sometimes one author might want you to give out your copyright to him, to avoid law problems. Hans Reiser at Namesys does this.

Trademarks are another matter entirely, and most of the Open Source licenses don't cover it (it's inconceivable to ask one party to give out their trademarks if they want to contribute to the code).

Maybe Firefox should be accompained by a (R) or (TM).

Law + Open Source licenses is still a gray area.
jerkface
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Gentoo is all about choice, I think Iceweasel is a better fit. I've always hated the fact that I was forced to have google as my default search. I was also a little upset when they stopped putting the dictionary.com search in by default. These guys are a bunch of sellouts and we should stop supporting them! :twisted:
marcion
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:56 pm    Post subject: Mozilla are the next Microsoft? Reply with quote

Debian's guidelines are fantastic and I cannot believe how many people (Linux users too) who are bashing Debian online.

cokehabit wrote:
basically debian are spitting their dummy out because everyone doesn't act the same way that they do

No Debian has had its guidelines long before the idea of a graphical web browser existed. Debian previously had a compromise agreement with Mozilla.

The only thing that changed was that Mozilla corporation was formed and this took over trademark issues. Mozilla broke the deal.

The only reason why Mozilla corp give a monkey about their trademark is because of the Google millions. Otherwise who gives a crap? Mozilla corp want to "maintain the brand integrity of the product" for money. No-one gives a crap about maintaining the brand identity of GCC or Emacs. Apple's version of Emacs quite different but keeps the same name.

So someone repackages Firefox and makes it better/worse, why should anyone care? No one is forcing you to use Debian.
marcion
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jerkface wrote:
As Gentoo is all about choice, I think Iceweasel is a better fit. I've always hated the fact that I was forced to have google as my default search. I was also a little upset when they stopped putting the dictionary.com search in by default. These guys are a bunch of sellouts and we should stop supporting them! :twisted:

Iceweasel is really funny, more jokes in Gentoo!

I agree that we should keep our package names similar to the other community distros, however I am not sure if we want to pick this particular fight right now, I am not scared of the greasy lizards but I think we do not really want to divide the Gentoo community, civil wars are a big waste of time.

Gentoo is about choice so why not try Epiphany/Konqueror instead? If we are going to make any ground on the desktop at all then we are going to need great native applications rather than ones that have been half-ported from Windows.

I think when Firefox, Seamonkey and Epiphany use XULrunner then I think Firefox's current near monopoly on the Linux desktop will begin to fall apart. People will use whatever frontend that they want while remaining compatible with web services that have been designed with Mozilla in mind.
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: Mozilla are the next Microsoft? Reply with quote

marcion wrote:
Debian's guidelines are fantastic and I cannot believe how many people (Linux users too) who are bashing Debian online.

cokehabit wrote:

No Debian has had its guidelines long before the idea of a graphical web browser existed. Debian previously had a compromise agreement with Mozilla.

The only thing that changed was that Mozilla corporation was formed and this took over trademark issues. Mozilla broke the deal.

The only reason why Mozilla corp give a monkey about their trademark is because of the Google millions. Otherwise who gives a crap? Mozilla corp want to "maintain the brand integrity of the product" for money. No-one gives a crap about maintaining the brand identity of GCC or Emacs. Apple's version of Emacs quite different but keeps the same name.

So someone repackages Firefox and makes it better/worse, why should anyone care? No one is forcing you to use Debian.
who cares, Debian are acting like babies and refusing to see that there is a real world out there where people like to keep a trademark because it stands for something they believe in. The software is free, the software is open source, they like to keep the patching in house because they can keep quality control... I see no step that mozilla has put wrong, it is just Debian trying to be all high and mighty
tylerwylie
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh how much Epiphany rules with extensions.
If you use gnome why use firefox?
It's a big name that's why. No one cares for little ole Epiphany. I gave it some time and it is faster, better integrates with the desktop and uses the same rendering engine. Enter in a couple extensions and bam. Winner
rokstar83
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mozilla has got to do what its got to do as does Debian. I don't fault Mozilla, because they have to enforce their trademark, which is not something you can do selectively. Debian has laid down what it feels is free and what isn't. Its not like its a terrible lose for either company. There are other browsers out there, and as many people have pointed out its not even necessarily the best anymore. Everyone's got to make choices. Debian's made theirs as has mozilla. Yeah sure both sides could have been more professional about it but does everything really need to be a flame war in the FOSS world?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: