RESOLVED -- Emerge problem with gcc-config
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fred Krogh
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:39 pm    Post subject: RESOLVED -- Emerge problem with gcc-config Reply with quote

I'm getting this error
Quote:
[blocks B ] app-admin/eselect-compiler (is blocking sys-devel/gcc-config-1.3.13-r3)
But equery list gcc-config gives
Quote:
[I--] [ ] sys-devel/gcc-config-1.3.13-r3 (0)
I'm guessing there is a problem in my portage (portage-2.1.2_pre1-r4), but perhaps there is another explanation. I'm running dual opterons. Thanks,
Fred

Last edited by Fred Krogh on Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
vonr
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Emerge problem with gcc-config Reply with quote

Fred Krogh wrote:
I'm guessing there is a problem in my portage (portage-2.1.2_pre1-r4)

Don't worry: there isn't.

This 'error' is portage's way of telling you you should unmerge a package (at least, in this case it is). Run an emerge -pv eselect-compiler to see why. Unmerge eselect-compiler, and run gcc-config to see if everything is still in order.
Fred Krogh
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is it trying to emerge this when equery says it is installed? This is new in my experience. Thanks,
Fred
vonr
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at your emerge -puvDN world output: is it actually trying to emerge gcc-config?

The situation is something like this: at some point in time, gcc-config was considered obsoleted by eselect-compiler. At this point in time, --depclean even wanted to remove gcc-config. I unmerged gcc-config; this was however not required. So it probably remained present at quite some systems, like yours.
Now, some time later devs noticed eselect-compiler is fubar, and development is stagnant. In response, app-admin/eselect-compiler was masked and sys-devel/gcc-config was no longer obsolete. Since eselect-compiler is fubar, devs want you to remove it, so the gcc-config ebuild was updated to block eselect-compiler, causing the message you're getting.
Fred Krogh
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Text below was written just before the above arrived. Thanks.

O.k., I think I know what happened. At some point I emerge eselect-compiler. And I was using it to switch between versions of gcc. Then evidently eselect-compiler got a hard mask. And evidently this meant that portage didn't think gcc-config was current? Anyway after unmerging eselect-compiler, another emerge world had nothing to do. So now I just need to use gcc-config instead of eselect compiler to switch between compilers (which I rarely do). Thanks,
Fred
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: