distcc amd64 32bit chroot
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
seigen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject: distcc amd64 32bit chroot Reply with quote

The main topic of this post is to point out a semi obvious way to use an amd64 system to run distcc to help with the compile work of an x86 system.
--
On a side node, I found that DISTCC_VERBOSE=0 in make.conf allows at least one package to compile (sys-devel/binutils-2.16.1-r3) that didn't before, consistent with https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-500247-highlight-binutils+incompatible+implicit.html .
---
Second, while I saw https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-501448-highlight-distcc.html , I actually didn't get it to work. (I didn't spend a great deal of time at it, so those directions may in fact be fine.) Of course, the idea in that link might be the kind of thing someone wants to do with the ebuild when it emerges on an amd64 system later.

As an alternative to the previous method you can use a 32 bit chroot which many amd64 users likely already have setup. Basically just install and configure distcc, but Don't do something like run /etc/init.d/distcc start. At least when I did that in the chroot it restarted my machine. At any rate, you can easily take the bits from /etc/init.d/distcc and /etc/conf.d/distcc and make something like the following to run distcc in the chroot rather than the main system where it would not be useful to make x86 code, without something like in the other link.

Code:

#!/bin/bash
# $Header: /var/cvsroot/gentoo-x86/sys-devel/distcc/files/2.18/ini                                        t,v 1.1 2004/10/12 17:21:43 lisa Exp $
DISTCCD_OPTS=""
DISTCCD_EXEC="/usr/bin/distccd"
DISTCCD_PIDFILE="/var/run/distccd/distccd.pid"
DISTCCD_OPTS="${DISTCCD_OPTS} --port 3632"
DISTCCD_OPTS="${DISTCCD_OPTS} --log-level critical"
DISTCCD_OPTS="${DISTCCD_OPTS} --allow 192.168.0.0/24"
DISTCCD_OPTS="${DISTCCD_OPTS} --listen 192.168.0.8"
DISTCCD_NICE="15"
echo "Starting distccd"
chown distcc `dirname ${DISTCCD_PIDFILE}` &>/dev/null
TMPDIR="${TMPDIR}" \
PATH="$(gcc-config --get-bin-path):${PATH}" \
/sbin/start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --startas ${DISTCCD_EXEC}                                         \
--pidfile ${DISTCCD_PIDFILE} -- \
--pid-file ${DISTCCD_PIDFILE} -N ${DISTCCD_NICE} --user distcc \
${DISTCCD_OPTS}

Again, this worked for me, although I haven't managed to get everything compiled with distcc I need on the pentium 2 system that needs it, I have gotten a great deal, and i presume the few other compiling issues I haven't figured out yet, are some other problem. If i'm really lucky the one thing I noted at the top that I changed will take care of them. [It is working now.]

-Robert
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: