partitions disappear on B100s
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iamchris
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:03 pm    Post subject: partitions disappear on B100s Reply with quote

Since the chassis has no CDROM, and no way to mount a drive except for network mounts, I have no way of getting a stage3 tarball on the B100s except for taking the drive out of the blade and hooking it to another computer to copy the files.

so...

I removed the drive, and hooked it up to another server running x86_64 linux. I partitioned the drive, formatted the partitions, copied and unpacked the stage3 and portage snapshot tarballs on the drive, and copied over the latest kernel with cassini drivers. My plan was to boot with the tftp image, mount up the drive, chroot, and continue installation from there.

I ran into a problem. This is my first venture into any architecture outside of an x86. I have /no idea/ what might have gone wrong. There must be some type of incompatibility going on with the IDE controller on the B100s such that the partitions I made and formatted while the drive was connected to another machine aren't visible to the blade.

Googling gives no joy.

I would be very greatful to any of the experienced sparc people willing to lend a hand.
Plugin_baby
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need a sun disklabel, your sparc doesn't recognize your current partition layout.
Read this part of the handbook for details:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-sparc.xml?full=1#book_part1_chap4

Have you tried the netboot howto?
iamchris
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you thank you thank you. I had no idea about the Sun scheme.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: