View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wes
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 4:52 pm    Post subject: Xfree resets my hostname to "-f" Reply with quote

Regardless of the windowmanager I'm using, Xfree resets my hostname to "-f." Does anyone know how this could happen? How can I fix this?

Wes
:(
Wes
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2002 2:36 pm    Post subject: the problem is with $PATH and /usr/bin/hostname Reply with quote

Ok, I have run this thing down, and here is the latest.

I recently installed Gentoo 1.2. I discovered that "startx" was resetting the hostname to "hostname -f". I ran this down, and discovered that startx called "hostname" with the option "-f" and that this is supposed to cause "hostname" to print the fullyqualified hostname for the computer. What wasn't it doing this?

Well, it turned out that there were *two* progs named "hostname", one in "/usr/bin" and one in "/bin". The one in "/usr/bin" was first in $PATH, and it was the one that was resetting my hostname to "-f". I think I've fixed this by altering "PATH" in /etc/profile, putting "/bin" ahead of "/usr/bin".

So here are my questions:

1. Why are there two "hostname" programs - one in "/bin" and one in "/usr/bin"?

2. Why is "/usr/bin" put before "/bin" in "/etc/profile"? Am I going to have trouble down the road because of the change I made?

Wes
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: